What to use to line wooden mold?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshleyR

Reaction score
My husband made me a nice wooden log mold and I'm not sure what I should line it with?

I have seen plenty of recipes say to use "freezer paper", but lo an behold, that is ANOTHER thing I can't seem to find in my tiny town. :(

Would it be okay to line the mold with waxed paper or parchment paper?

I've heard of using plastic wrap but I don't want a lot of wrinkles in my soap.

Any other options??

I use parchment paper. But I have also gone to Michael's and bought a sheet of foam for $.99. I cut it to fit bottom and sides. It works even better that parchment. Then I just rinse the foamies with warm water and dry for next use.
HTH. Laurie

Laurie said:
I use parchment paper. But I have also gone to Michael's and bought a sheet of foam for $.99. I cut it to fit bottom and sides. It works even better that parchment. Then I just rinse the foamies with warm water and dry for next use.
HTH. Laurie

Did you glue the foam insert together so it's all one piece?

I've tried wax paper 3 times (I'm a glutton for punishment) and had it fall apart enough to leak and be really hard to get off the soap each time. So I don't suggest it.

If you can't find freezer paper (in the grocery store, bottom shelf near the plastic wrap) then ask the butcher for some of his paper (it's usually brown with a plastic coating on one side - same as freezer paper! If it works out they may sell you a roll.

Saran is too thin and not strong enough. Garbage bags work remarkably well in some molds - really not too much wrinkling except in the corners.

That funky foam... well I thought it was great to begin with but its a royal pain in the hind end if you ask me. You need to cut it carefully, oh so carefully, to prevent soap from leaking out between the pieces. Then they warp and shrink with time (not much time either). And you have to keep straight which piece goes where. I gave up on it.

I line all my molds with this one piece liner material, on the left side of the mold....it has silicone in it.

DSCF3145-1.jpg

IM000239.jpg

Paul

Paul,
You've got me buggen! I have been beating my head against the wall trying to figure it out! I was even thinking about going to the kitchen supply store and buying a couple of their silicone liners, cutten them up and gluing them together.........

I have a 4 section mold, 6lb log per section, I don't know if that makes sense..... hopefully it does! this thing is HUGE! My mom bought it for me as a gift, and it was known as a '6lb quad mold'

anyhow, I am dyeing to know what you used, or where you got the stuff to make the liner with. I am SO tired of cutting and taping up garbage bags!, i tried wax paper, and it was a nightmare, the stuff broke down so much, and ripped ever chance trying to take it off the soap log......

I have also read some people use that thin plastic they use to make paterns for quilts.... I forgot what it's called, but its a think plastic, cuttable, and kind of frosty looking......

If anyone knows please let me know!

Paul, You don't make your mold liners in the size of molds I have..... That's why I'm askin......

Michele

I use the craft foam and love it. I haven't had the problems with it that Carebear mentioned, although I've heard of others having similar issues. I wonder if it's the brand or something?? I just rinse them off under warm-to-cool running water and dry flat. I've never had any warping, although they did shrink a little on me after about a year and a half of constant use, but I got them to re-stretch back to size by rubbing a little mineral oil on them.

Heat resistant Mylar works very well, too. You can get it at quilting stores or at Joanne's Fabrics in the quilting section. Like the foam, you have to cut the pieces to the dimensions of your mold, but the beauty is that they are reusable, just like the foam.

IrishLass

I love the craft foam too I tried to use freezer paper, but went back to the foam :) When I first started out I used plastic grocery bags, but you have to keep it nice and smooth or you will have wrinkles in your soap.

I don't use the "Funky Foam" brand. I buy in bulk and it is another supplier, not Funky Foam, plus I have a unique process that adds food grade silicone into the foam. That is one reason my foam does not shrink and releases easily from the soap log. :wink:

i use white trash bags because the wax paper would leak at the sides and the soap would stick to the wood. I just open a trash bag and slip the mold inside. i can reuse the bags

just my 2 cents I come across some cutting mats at a local thrift store for .25 I cut them to size 4 pcs hold them on with clips they peel right off when done. I get a little leak around them not enuff to fret about

I've never heard of freezer paper.

The craft foam sounds good though, is that the stuff that comes in giant puzzle pieces for the kids to play on? I have a few of those, and they've been looking for a new life since my youngest is now 12.

I use Mylar placemats cut to size purchased from the dollar store. They work great.

I use parchment paper because we use a lot of that anyways for cooking. I've gotten really fast at origami-ing it to line.

Latest posts

Back