What to try next (castile?)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

notapantsday

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm making small batches at the moment to try and find out which recipe works best for me and my skin type. I tend to have dry skin in the winter but this may also be due to daily showers.

So far I have made these three recipes:

100% CO
20% SF

50% lard
30% OO
15% CO
5% castor oil
7% SF

80% lard
15% CO
5% castor oil
5% SF

All three of them are still curing so I don't know how well they will turn out.

There are tons of recipes out there but I feel like most of them are just variations of a few basic formulas. I'd like to try at least one recipe for each of them, so I can then go from there.

Now I'm wondering what kind of soap I should make next.

Is it worth making castile soap (which will obviously not be ready in time with the rest)? It has a long history and the whole curing for several months thing makes it kind of special - but is it actually a really good soap that might turn out to be my favorite? I found very conflicting opinions on that.

Or should I try tallow?

I don't want to use PKO but otherwise there are no limitations. Of course I would love to do without exotic and expensive oils that are hard to get, but if they're truly worth it I will at least try them once.

Thanks a lot in advance for any ideas!

I would suggest a salt bar or brine soap. You have a nice variety already, they all will be good soaps but a salt bar really will be different. Castile isn't a nice soap imo, its not just the slimey texture and bad lather, it doesn't make me feel clean and it dries my skin. Some people really do like though so I suppose you should give it try at some point.

I second the salt bar. The combinations you have already should be a good start. I wouldn't keep making soaps until you've actually been able to try out what you've made thus far. And see how you like them. I know the wait is difficult. I too have dry skin during the winter. I have no problem with my salt bars or other soaps. I don't like castile one bit myself.

I agree with the salt bar votes. I tried a batch and have only used one bar; however, it is amazing! I used 100% coconut with 20% SF and 25% salt. I think my next foray into salt bars will be 50% salt and 100% salt then compare them after the cure. I might even do salt with my regular recipe instead of the 100% coconut. Yeah. I'm hooked on the salt bars. (Still waiting to try my Castile. It's "only" been two months.)

Always interesting to learn a new German loanword.

One thing I just remembered: When I've been swimming in the sea, I need to have a shower afterwards or my skin will start itching and burning. Are salt bars still a good idea (since I rinse them off immediately)?

Salt bars are awesome and I always have a batch in my rotation - my favorite body bars. But I will also recommend a nice 100% olive oil castille - I adore mine and they are a perfect gentle face bar for me, I don't feel like they are slimy, but Not_Ally said they were to her, so maybe I just like that kind of lather :) I like to scent with something simple like rosemary or rosemary and lavender, just make them and forget them for a while so they get a good long cure.

A friend gave me about 10 different homemade soaps including Castile. I thought the were ok nothing special. About a year later we decided to use them up. The Castile was almost 2 years old and it is the best of them all and so fantastic that I decided to get into soap making.
It's not slimy, it's hard so it doesn't wash away and I love it.
I am trying rice bran oil soaps, too, as I am allergic to OO but not in such a way that it gives me a rash or effects my skin, if that makes sense.

I think soap (like scent) is a very personal thing and you have to try a few before you discover "the" one for you.

Don't bother using Castile until it's 12 months old. I use extra virgin OO but others use light OO. It doesn't matter much because it cures white. At the moment I use 5% superfat, 30% lye concentration with no fragrance. But I am not certain this is the exact recipe for the great soap I have as my friend's recipe is locked away in storage!

For variation you might want to try 1 level tablespoon of honey and vanilla bean seeds scraped out of 2 vanilla bean pods for 500g of oil.

Last edited:
I also vote for trying a salt bar. :thumbup: I use 100% coconut oil in mine with 100% coconut milk as my liquid, 25% salt ppo, and a 13% superfat.

For a really nice gentle soap that I personally like so much better than my usual 100% Castile, and that won't take any longer than 4 to 6 weeks to cure, I highly suggest Genny's shampoo bar recipe: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=30946&highlight=lindy.

In spite of it being called a 'shampoo bar', I don't use it as such. I actually made it for the first time back in August (a tweaked version of it) for a friend as a facial bar, but after trying it out myself in the shower as just a regular bath soap, I was so pleasantly surprised by it's loveliness that I decided right on the spot to ditch making the annual Castile and make these instead. lol This is my tweaked version:

Olive Oil 40%
Avocado Oil 30%
Castor Oil 10%
Shea Butter 10%
High Oleic (HO) Safflower Oil 10%
Superfatted @ 6%

In spite of there being none of the traditional 'bubbly oils' in it such as coconut/pko/babassu, it actually has nice lather.....and no slime.

IrishLass :)

IrishLass,
Do you dissolve salt in your salt bar or just mix it in?

Thank you for the above recipe - it makes me feel a little more confident about a recipe I've been mulling over.

IrishLass,
Do you dissolve salt in your salt bar or just mix it in?

Thank you for the above recipe - it makes me feel a little more confident about a recipe I've been mulling over.

No, I don't dissolve my salt, although one of these days I want to try doing that (making a solseife). I just pour the salt into my batter at medium-thick trace. Oh- I should probably mention that I use fine sea salt.

IrishLass :)

Latest posts

Back