What to scents to use for my new product line?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My new business is going to consist of these 3 products.
1. Bath Salts
2. Whipped Body Butter
3. Sugar/Salt Scrubs

My problem is that I'm not sure what scents to start out with for each. I know everyone is different and I'm working with a tight budget so I only need one scent to start out for each product for right now.

Can someone advise me on the most popular fragrance oil I should use that most customers are more likely to purchase coming out of the gate? for their scent? Or good classics or very popular fragrances to scent my line with? ***Like for instance you can use a blood orange scent for sugar scrub, but customers may not necessarily like it for the their bath salt scent or body butter.***:):confused:

I don't sell, but I thought I'd ask a few questions to get the conversation rolling.
Who is your target audience?
Where are you planning to sell? (Farmer's Market?, Etsy?, School?)
The answers to these questions would probably help guide people's responses because people have different audiences.

If you live somewhere where people like all natural products, then you would probably benefit from selling all products with "natural" scents like lavender, and such. If you are selling to teenagers, then maybe fruity or "dupe" scents???

JayJay made some very good points so consider that your starting point. Personally I can't name just one good scent for a particular product. Not only does everyone have their own unique taste but it can also depend on the time of day they use the product. Will they use it in the morning? If so, I like something minty or herbal to help me wake up. Are they using it at night? Then you might consider softer, relaxing scents like lavender or ylang ylang. There just isn't a simple answer if you want to use only one scent per product.

JayJay is right, those questions need to be addressed first. Hopefully you live somewhere that will support your business with so few products and scents. It is brutal out there and hopefully you do not live in So Cal. It would be a grand recipe for failure. I do sell and as Shunt stated, locations, markets, even time of year / month makes a difference in sales. I do find Lavender is asked for often. I had written a long answer to this but decided not to post it. I sincerely wish you a lot of luck with selling only 3 products. It is a brutal business...

Yeah, thanks...I have a variety of audiences...but I will be selling in my community at events and also online. but I think im just going to have different scents at least 5 for starters. ill add more products as I go. Im just starting so im on a limited budget, but in time!

I would suggest having something citrus, something lavender, something warm/woody (sandalwood or amber, maybe spice), something floral and an herbal blend that most people seem to like is rosemary/mint. Good luck with your venture!

Latest posts

Back