What to do with stinky soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Trying to be thrifty, I made a batch of soap using some of my leftover little of this, little of that, fragrances. Mostly Monkey Farts (which is not all the nice even on its own), Vanilla, and some unidentified floral. Now I have a 10-bar batch of unpleasant smelling soap. So much for being thrifty! Can I re-batch it and add a different fragrance, or will that just take it from bad to worse? Or should I just give away or this whole batch?

If you ever want to experiment with the Salting Out method, that WILL get rid of the stinky fragrance. If you are anything like me and a few other soapmakers around here, you may be interesting in trying this method out just for the heck of it. If not, then I'd say just give it away or toss it. I tried re-batching a super strong & horrible smelling (to my nose) soap and the horrible smell persisted through 2 complete re-batch attempts without any new fragrance being added. It didn't even mellow enough to be acceptable to my nose. So I used the salting out method & that got rid of the hated fragrance. (It was also an ill-advised mix of FO's that caused the horrible smell.)

Salting Out Soap Tutorial

Thanks, earlene, for a great suggestion. I haven't tried salt bars yet, but they may be in my future.
Funny thing on the stinky soap: I decided to give away the soap to a group of friends. All but one of them really liked the way it smells! I've got to remember that just because I don't like something, doesn't necessarily mean it's bad.

Thanks, earlene, for a great suggestion. I haven't tried salt bars yet, but they may be in my future.
Funny thing on the stinky soap: I decided to give away the soap to a group of friends. All but one of them really liked the way it smells! I've got to remember that just because I don't like something, doesn't necessarily mean it's bad.
Earlene was not talking about Salt Bars she was talking about Salting out the soap. It is a method of boiling the soap in salt water to remove unwanted additives, fragrances, etc from your soap. It also removes glycerin leaving pure soap. Here is an article about the method written by our own soap/chemist guru DeeAnna. Salting-out soap | Soapy Stuff

Latest posts

Back