Quantcast

What to do with old FOs

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Dawni

Reaction score
I don't use FOs.

EOs are a pain to use, yes but they're part of the branding and I'm not quite sure yet if I should change to FOs and how.

My dad suggested making a 2nd brand (as if I had the time lol), with soaps made without the costly organic/natural ingredients, and with FOs

Because.... He and my mom have a huge stash of FOs, some bottles are even unopened, from a business they had some 20 or so years ago. I thought they had sold it all but when my son climbed the store room up on the roof top he found them.

None are less than a liter bottle some are even 2 and in multiples. They were mixed with whatever those liquids for perfume making were and packaged in roller bottles (my parents business). The problem is that the labels have faded, but I do know that they weren't named as what they smelled like. These were like dupes of branded perfumes (not fakes) and not sold with the same name.

Im waiting for the supplier to respond, coz I did ask them if their FOs are meant to last this long - I opened one bottle and it doesn't smell bad at all - and if they're still safe to use, and if they're safe to use in soap.

But what do you guys think?

Peachy Clean Soap

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't use FOs.

EOs are a pain to use, yes but they're part of the branding and I'm not quite sure yet if I should change to FOs and how.

My dad suggested making a 2nd brand (as if I had the time lol), with soaps made without the costly organic/natural ingredients, and with FOs

Because.... He and my mom have a huge stash of FOs, some bottles are even unopened, from a business they had some 20 or so years ago. I thought they had sold it all but when my son climbed the store room up on the roof top he found them.

None are less than a liter bottle some are even 2 and in multiples. They were mixed with whatever those liquids for perfume making were and packaged in roller bottles (my parents business). The problem is that the labels have faded, but I do know that they weren't named as what they smelled like. These were like dupes of branded perfumes (not fakes) and not sold with the same name.

Im waiting for the supplier to respond, coz I did ask them if their FOs are meant to last this long - I opened one bottle and it doesn't smell bad at all - and if they're still safe to use, and if they're safe to use in soap.

But what do you guys think?
I think ( not sure ) if an EO perfume is mixed properly & stored sealed it can last years. What a fantastic find! yay 👍🏼😉.
I've read somewhere, when in doubt do the sniff test it was referring to soap, but I think it would apply here too
" Our Nose Knows "

CatahoulaBubble

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make a small batch and try it. I have some FOs that are 10 years or more old and they smell fine and the soaps I've used them in came out with no issues.

Anstarx

Reaction score
They were mixed with whatever those liquids for perfume making were and packaged in roller bottles (my parents business).
Do a small test batch. Perfumes are typically mixed with a kind of deodored alcohol which can seize the batch.

Dawni

Reaction score
Do a small test batch. Perfumes are typically mixed with a kind of deodored alcohol which can seize the batch.
Yes! The alcohols are in a separate drum. Not mixed in yet. All the mixing was done in-house here. But yes, this calls for a tiny test batch.

Thank you everyone! :)

maxine289

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
My concern would be how to determine a safe use percentage if the labels are faded and it's difficult to see the name, etc. Would the supplier still have information for products this old?

Dawni

Reaction score
My concern would be how to determine a safe use percentage if the labels are faded and it's difficult to see the name, etc. Would the supplier still have information for products this old?
Good question, and I did ask too. Also, knowing myself I'll probably use less than the usual general percentage lol I don't like strong smelling soaps.

That reminds me... I have to check if they've responded lol

Latest posts