What to do with my soap scraps, shreads, etc...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lane

Reaction score
I have a huge amount of soap scraps from the first 5 or 10 batches I did about two-three months ago... They are all scented and colored and I have no clue what to do with them! I can't possibly toss them out! I've never re-batched or anything like that....

What do you do with your left over pieces??

A lot of people make confetti soap. They chunk it up & mix it in with another full batch, generally white in color & scented strong & festive so the the little scented chunks don't smell confusing...

Don't throw it out Lane.

I melt all mine down together and put it in molds and use it up.

Or, make up a small batch of all coconut to mix with it and add some pumice and coffee grounds for a gritty hand soap. Or, make laundry soap with it using borax & sodim carbonate "washing soda".

PhillipJ said:
Or, make laundry soap with it using borax & sodim carbonate "washing soda".

Hey I was going to say that........
Make laundry soap that is.......

or you can rebatch it all in one pan, and pour it into a mold and use yourself as soap. Or as Phillip said, add some pumice or coffee grounds and make a soap with some grit.

I'll definately try confetti soap with the bigger chunks... To re-batch the smaller pieces, do I just melt it down in my pot and pour it in my mold? Is it possible to cook out the scent and re sent it?

To rebatch add a little bit of liquid to your pot and let it stand at room temp for a couple of hours. And pop into the oven at about 170` till it's melted down. It will be the consistency of mashed potatoes more or less, but you can put it into your mold to re-use.

But no you can't cook out the scent, it's there. So if you have several scents you will have a soap with a scent all of it's own.

this may help you out some on rebatching.......
http://www.soapsandsundries.com/howtorebatch.html

Even with mixed scents, they all smelled good. But the mixed colors sometimes don't look the prettiest.

my.php
[/url][/img]

Soap Balls.. I always saved my "scraps" in separate bags.. Then would either mix and match them by scents, colors or make individually.. Take a handful and start adding drizzles of water until you form a hard 2 - 3 inch ball...Air dry a few days.. I would then toss them in a basket and sell 3 for 1.50 or 2.00.. they always sold, people would use them for guest soaps..

Ha! :lol: The guests get the scraps! I got to try that with my scraps and less than perfect batches.

I use to rebatch everything, but although the final product smelled and performed wonderfully the look was generally brown...

Now I do confetti and love the look. Here's a pic.

img5244pg5.jpg
[/img]

It's a three layered soap - bottom layer has poppy seed, the middle layer is plain and the top layer has my trimmings from previous soap batches. I call it "Harmony."
TAS

PhillipJ said:
my.php
[/url][/img]

I think those look neat!

TAS- The confetti ones look great too! WHERE did you get a custom soap stamp? Was it really expensive?

Thanks everyone for the awesome suggestions! I am going to be working with my left over pieces today!

The custom stamp was a bit pricey. There is a company that will work with you - Owosso Graphic Arts. I got mine through a stamp coop, but it took forever to get the required number of participants. I think that Owosso might give you a free stamp (least that is what I heard someone say).
TAS

TAS said:
The custom stamp was a bit pricey. There is a company that will work with you - Owosso Graphic Arts. I got mine through a stamp coop, but it took forever to get the required number of participants. I think that Owosso might give you a free stamp (least that is what I heard someone say).
TAS

Do they have a web site? When I google searching I got some odd results...

Lableing the Confetti Soap

Tabitha said:
A lot of people make confetti soap. They chunk it up & mix it in with another full batch, generally white in color & scented strong & festive so the the little scented chunks don't smell confusing...

Tabitha I just love the idea of that but then I was worried about having to put each and every fragrance and essential oil on the lable .Is this not neccessary.
Can you just put down "Fragrance" as I have seen on some soaps.
:lol:

Starduster - Yes, you can just put "fragrance" to represent that you used a fragrance in the soap. You don't have to label each fragrance. (At least here in the US you don't)
In fact, here if it's SOAP (and not a synthetic product) and you are not making any cosmetic or medical claims you don't HAVE to label it at all.
When I'm selling I do label it for allergies and such, but not if I'm giving it away or am in a swap or something...

lableing Fragrances

jcandleattic said:
Starduster - Yes, you can just put "fragrance" to represent that you used a fragrance in the soap. You don't have to label each fragrance. (At least here in the US you don't)
In fact, here if it's SOAP (and not a synthetic product) and you are not making any cosmetic or medical claims you don't HAVE to label it at all.
When I'm selling I do label it for allergies and such, but not if I'm giving it away or am in a swap or something...

Although we are looser in many rules our soap rules seem quite formal. I bet that Top Cat would be clearer on that one.
:lol:

We need to label our soaps - or have the ingredients listed at the point of sale at least if labelling is not feasible, and can use common names for ingredients if we wish, not the INCI (or use both). Both eo and fo can be labelled as 'fragrance' if you wish. I usually don't know the components of the fo's I buy so I label them 'fragrance' however I like to list the eo's.

Tanya :)

Here in Canada we have to label our soaps with ingredients used. We are supposed to do it in both English & French - but fortunately here on the West Coast we don't have the Language police. We also have to register our recipes with the Goverment of Canada. I'm thinking of getting the translations done for each ingredient and including it on an insert that will go with the soap so it's not taking up room on the package - that way I'm legal..... :oops:

Back