What to do with DOS soaps?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DOS come from rancid oils. You need to asses which oils may have gone rancid. I've made close to 100 batches of soap and never had DOS mostly because my oil stocks are constantly replenished.

"...DOS come from rancid oils...."

While this is true, rancid oil is not the only reason for DOS/rancidity in soap. DOS can be triggered in fresh, non-oxidized, non-rancid oils too. See my posts 15 and 28 in this thread.

Grate it down and re-batch for laundry soap with Washing Soda and Borax added. There are several recipes on the internet.

"Waste Not; Want Not"

DOS come from rancid oils. You need to asses which oils may have gone rancid. I've made close to 100 batches of soap and never had DOS mostly because my oil stocks are constantly replenished.
I have had DOS and it was not from rancid oil. I have used some oils that are over 7 yrs old with no dos. Granted the seal was never broken on the jugs of oil, keeping them from oxidizing.

Grate it down and re-batch for laundry soap with Washing Soda and Borax added. There are several recipes on the internet.
Soap that is superfatted does not make a good laundry soap. I would toss it

Latest posts

Back