What to do with a batch that you fragranced poorly?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jemgraham

Reaction score
I made a batch of soap that turned out beautifully except that I used cocoa butter in it and then used a white tea and ginger fragrance oil. It smells so bad that I can’t give it away. I learned my lesson there, make sure the fragrance fits with the ingredients! Anyways, do you have any ideas on what to do with it? I hate to just throw it away.

How old is the soap? The cocoa butter scent usually fades to close to nothing after cure.

It’s 2 weeks old now. I’ll keep holding on then, it is so lovely, the palest yellow with a subtle white swirl...thank you!

I made a cocoa butter and gardenia batch once, it was absolutely terrible! It did fade in time but it took awhile, I'll never use regular cocoa butter again in soap, only deodorized.

Cocoa butter is tricky that way. It seems like when you WANT the scent, you can't get it, but if you dont' want it, you cant' get rid of it! I only use descented in my fruity lip balms - chocolate + sangria flavor is not good.

How much cocoa butter did you use? I use 5% and never notice it after a full cure. HOWEVER, in my unscented soaps customers tell me they get a hint of chocolate. (Random comment... I've had 2 customers return unscented soap because "they have a smell"... um yeah, things smell...)

My 1st batch of bath melts I used cocoa butter and pear scent....it was horrible! My family complained for days because it lingered lol!
I tried to "gift" it to my daughters in law. They tried to be kind but we ended up laughing about it over beers :)

Latest posts

Back