What to do, what to do

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I gonna make soap today, but the question is what scent do I use? Choosing the scent is the hardest part of soapmaking for me! ;-)
So, I got three bottles staring at me this morning:

1) Three Wisemen - A classic favorite of frankincense, myrrh, patchouli and warm, powdery sandalwood. The problem here is that I just made a Frankincense and Myrrh last week. It's probably not the same scent, though. If I am going to have this one by Christmas, I should do it right away.
2) Havana Heat - Playful notes of pineapple and melon blend with sensual suede, pink pepper and tobacco. This one smells oob like men's cologne to me. My soaping partner loves it, however. I think once it is in the soap, the scent will mellow nicely. (And thanks to all of you who have kindly made ITP color suggestions.)
3) Bay Laurel - A scent I've had from years ago from Missy's Candles (RIP). It has been very popular with prior recipients of my soap.

The Havana one sounds like it smells awesome! I tend to choose a colour scheme first and then pick a scent to match, but I can respect the inverse process.

That's so funny---I was JUST talking to my husband about synesthesia (ok, we sometimes have unusual conversations), and I said that I almost always pick a fragrance first, then decide on colors based upon what I feel and sense when I smell the fragrance.

I think it's so cool that we all approach it differently, but the final result is the same. :dance:

That's so funny---I was JUST talking to my husband about synesthesia (ok, we sometimes have unusual conversations), and I said that I almost always pick a fragrance first, then decide on colors based upon what I feel and sense when I smell the fragrance.

I think it's so cool that we all approach it differently, but the final result is the same. :dance:
I need to try this approach because when I pick the colors first I have a terrible time choosing a scent to go with it. As a result, I end up with too many batches that smell the same and a lot of scents waiting to be used 😂

Maybe I'm a weirdo, but usually I have an idea for a soap and then go hunt down a fragrance to match. Once I have the fragrance to match my idea, then I pick out my colors.
BTW, when I say "go hunt down a fragrance", I mean from my own stock. I'm an unashamed FO-ho and have an entire bookcase full of FO and EO! :)

HELLO HAVANA!

IMG_3903.JPG
IMG_3904.JPG
IMG_3905.JPG

The details:
I used (Owl, take a breath) six colors: orange, yellow, blue, green, brick red, and hot pink. They were all rather deep, bright colors, and I wanted them in pastels, so I added TD to all of them which seems to have worked. I colored the pot pink. The other colors were poured at the 12 o'clock, 3, 6, and 9 positions and one in the center. The yellow seems to have disappeared (unless it is all on the bottom).
It was a new fragrance for me and all I knew about it was that it accelerated slightly, according to customer reviews on the supplier's website. When it came time for the actual pour, it was at a pretty thick trace. We were still able to pour it, and it spread out nicely, but as you can see in the pictures, the top is a bit "clumpy."
Right now, 12 hours later, I had to sneak a peek. It is still quite hot. I can't really tell if it went into a gel phase. I hope to be cutting it 24 hours from now though it might not be ready. Monday is Canadian Thanksgiving and Soap Partner has made it clear that we are not cutting soap on that day. (We are expecting 10 people for turkey, etc..)
Thanks for all the help you guys gave me in color selection. It was enormously helpful. I only wish you could smell it because it smells great!

I've learned to not judge by the appearance in the mould. Many soapmakers out there put much effort into swirling the top (sometimes more than they should), you don't. Looks like an overbaked pizza with too much mozzarella & gorgonzola, but oh boi, this foretells nothing how the swirls inside will look like!

I hope your cut goes well with that hurry, when it has to be cut (and, more importantly, photographed and posted here) ahead of your soapy Shabbat 😅

Maybe I'm a weirdo, but usually I have an idea for a soap and then go hunt down a fragrance to match. Once I have the fragrance to match my idea, then I pick out my colors.
BTW, when I say "go hunt down a fragrance", I mean from my own stock. I'm an unashamed FO-ho and have an entire bookcase full of FO and EO! :)
This is exactly what I do 😂

John....uh...no pressure or anything....but...uh...when is the cut? :swinging:

in seriousness though, I've yet to make any CP soap, but this one has me intrigued. Every single thing from concept, to colors, to scent, to even the contributions from others has really got me hooked. As much a joy it is seeing this unfold, I'm sure it's doubly fun to make. Thanks for sharing!

Back