What thickness is your soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I acutally cut mine into vertical blocks 1.5" x 1.5" x 3". It's kind of fun to play around with sizes. I agree with toxikon for traditional rectangular soaps, 1.25" thickness has a nice feel to it.

Mine are all over the place. Some are bars about 3/4" thick, or blocks about 2 inches to a side, and some recent slightly larger bars that are 1" thick. It depends on which mold I use, really. One batch is something like 18 bars, and every single one of them is a different size. That one happened with a double wide, tall loaf that I wound up having to cut up by guess and by gosh.

1 3/32 inches. Really. After much tweaking and head scratching, this makes a bar that cures out to be reliably no less than 4.5 ounces. I get 14 full size bars plus a half-size sample bar per loaf.

I like this thickness a little better than a 1 1/2 inch bar ... easier to hold.

I prefer a thicker bar, so I cut most of mine at 1 1/4", which produces bars that weigh a minimum of 5 oz. after cure. The rest of them I cut slightly thicker at about 1 3/8" (it depends on the mold I'm using).

IrishLass :)

I cut mine at 1-1/2" until Chris made me a multibar cutter and he guessed at the bar thickness I was doing (the cutter was a surprise birthday present for me) and made it 1-1/4", which after curing makes them about 1-1/8" and seems to be a good thickness for most people. I've put in a request for a 1" multibar cutter to make taller bars that will still weigh the same (and a bunch of other reasons). Some of the soaps I've gotten from other soapers are more square than rectangle and I'm really liking that shape. Mostly though... I like soap of any shape and thickness. Soap is good.

Mine really vary. For travel and soaps by the sink for hand-washing, I prefer a smaller size, so those are usually more the size of a guest soap or even a 1 inch thick soap of just about any shape. For the bath or shower, I prefer a chunkier size. So I tend to cut bath bars much thicker. Sometimes they are rectangular bars, but sometimes they are square bars. Depending on the mold I use and which cutter I use, their thickness may be anywhere from 1 inch (the multi-cutter I have has 1 inch apart wire settings) to 2 inches, more or less.

Will Be Cutting My first Loaf Tomorrow

I made my first melt and pour loaf tonight. Whipped it and topped with dried roses. I think i will try to cut at 1.25 inches.

I like it fat and then cut in half. Good size for my hand. I say this, as I haven't really used any yet!! My first bars are about 5 weeks old now! I've tried just one, I do like the size and shape.

Attachments

• IMG_3124.JPG
    IMG_3124.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 33

Latest posts

Back