What the heck happened to my soap?? It got thick!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Navaria

Reaction score
Made body wash an it came out beautiful. Nice and clear and just the right consistency (see first pic). Went to decant it, pulled out what I need, added 3%superfat, 1% fo and enough PS80 for the two. Added my colorant and mixed it all in by hand. And it turned into a blob! If it was xp, it would be at the "oh shoot plop this in the mold RIGHT NOW" stage. (See second pic)Why did it thicken up with the superfat??

20160402_083709.jpg

20160402_083738.jpg

Btw, the soap in the jar was clear until I stirred it and poured it.

What is your room temperature and what did you superfat it with, and how much poly80? Your superfat oil could be solidifying. Also did you just dilute the paste or has it been diluted for a few days? In cold weather diluted LS can thicken back up and turn opaque. I am wondering if your fo cause it to thicken usually I find they thin LS but it is possible an fo could thicken. I would heat it back up and see what it does

Really! I thought since sapifecation was done it couldn't affect it. Shows what I know. Lol. I used EB&B Blue Sugar in it, and if I remember it does cause some A. I bet that's what it is then. Thank you so much! I was afraid I had messed something up lol
What is your room temperature and what did you superfat it with, and how much poly80? Your superfat oil could be solidifying. Also did you just dilute the paste or has it been diluted for a few days? In cold weather diluted LS can thicken back up and turn opaque. I am wondering if your fo cause it to thicken usually I find they thin LS but it is possible an fo could thicken. I would heat it back up and see what it does

Room temp is around 70. SF with cottonseed (don't yell, my oldest son loves it. Yeck! That's why I only did enough for 1 bottle.) And I don't remember the exact amount of PS80 off the top of my head but it was 3% of the superfat/fo total. It has been diluted since yesterday. Paste was made earlier this week. I ended up having to add a full oz. of water to it to pour it in the bottle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Polysorbate 80 is also an emulsifier and since you are adding additional oils, my assumption is that it is trying to emulsify those oils into your aqueous liquid soap causing these results. Some people will use polysorbate 20 to solubize their FO, but poly 80 for carriers oils into an aqueous solution is going to do more than solubize.

Latest posts

Back