What temp melts a plastic mold?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heatherg23

Reaction score
I guess I have to find a temp gadget because the melt and pour soap melted all 4 of the molds. What temp should it be so it doesn't melt anything else?

Thanks for your help!
Heather

I always melt my M&P in the microwave at 30 second intervals until it is just melted. I have never melted any of my plastic soap molds. Sounds like you got your soap too hot.

The melting temperature depends on the type of plastic used in the mold. Many of the common molds (either single cavity or smaller flat sheet molds) will melt starting at 135 degrees F.

Some plastic log molds are HDPE plastic which have working temperatures of up to 180 degrees F. Other "lighter duty" plastic log molds are only usable at much lower temperatures.

Pour temperatures for MP depend on the brand of base, but you often see 110-120 degrees F as a pour temperature.

It's definitely worth getting an infrared thermometer or a glass candy thermometer. You can get an infrared thermometer off amazon for under $20 (excluding shipping).

Latest posts

Back