What style wooden mold do you like the best?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought a couple NS slab mold liners. What is everyone's favorite wooden mold style for them? Trying to decide on what the man should make - hinged, slab, etc. TIA

(I have to say, I'm really impressed with the thickness of the liners. I already have a couple batches of ZNSC in them. I couldn't wait to try them out!)

Hope

The sides of the wood part come off making it easy to remove either the silicone liner or to a freezer paper lining. You just pull up on them. And the thickness of the silicone is just perfect to make removing the soap pretty easy, all you have to do is push lightly on the bottom to break the seal. All of it is very easy to clean. I badly want another set. If not, I want another silicone liner. They aren't cheap molds but they are worth it.

They aren't cheap molds but they are worth it.

Thanks! I promptly made two batches of ZNSC soon as the liners delivered today. Made me ate to our grilled lunch, which did not amuse the man any. 😑 The silicone liners are fantastic. I've been using Amazon molds and I can't believe the difference. Who knew soap could slide out so easy?!!!

Hope

Thanks! I promptly made two batches of ZNSC soon as the liners delivered today. Made me ate to our grilled lunch, which did not amuse the man any. 😑 The silicone liners are fantastic. I've been using Amazon molds and I can't believe the difference. Who knew soap could slide out so easy?!!!

Hope
I know. I wasn't expecting it to work so well but they are just a dream in comparison to the amazon molds (I have two of those). It's why I want more.

I think it depends a bit on how you want to store them. The molds that break down to store flat can be nice - but not really worth it if you are using them so regularly that you don't break them down often, if at all.

The size of the mold matters, as well. Smaller molds and liners don't take as much muscle to separate from one another. With a larger mold and liner, it may save your back to have slide-out ends that allow you to slide the liner out to the side, rather than turning it over or trying to lift it out. For that reason, I tend to favor molds with a hinged or clasped side, or at least one slide-out end.

If you go with a rigid box (no hinge, no slide-out ends), it really does help to drill a few round push-holes on the bottom of the mold. That can really assist with breaking the suction grip of the liner to the mold, not to mention the grip of any soap batter that has slipped into and dried between the mold and wood. My Nurture TS mold has these bottom holes, and they've been a life-saver more than once.

I don't know if this fits here or not but reading about this stuff and taking into fact my small batches are not 5 lbs batches, I used to think it kind of a waste to have to use freezer paper. The one thing I do like about it is that I can make flaps that extend above the mold and use these to easily pull the soap out of molds. I am curious for those of you using silicone if you were to put little straps that extent past the mold in the wood before setting in the silicone, would this assist in lifting out the soap or breaking the seal of the silicone mold from the wood part of the mold. In my mind this would seem easy to do and should work.
Ok, done rambling now.
Cheers
gww

Bumping to ask which works better: removable end or slide out bottom? I'm going back and forth. DH said he'd make either one for me but needs to know which one before he starts.

I guess it depends on what you are comfortable wrangling. I’d choose the removable end for that size myself. That might be less work for the DH, too 😉

I have neither, my wooden mould is nailed in every corner, so I have to turn my mould upside down and shake the soap out.

I have a 7lb loaf and a 5lb T&S from nurture. I’ve had them 8 years now and they are “as new” I made my own timber supporting molds and I’ll try and find the link on here.

At first my silicone molds were difficult to get out of the timber molds.
I put a large circle in the bottom of the mold so I could push the soap out but never used it!
I also made one end removable so I can pull the silicone liner out that way or tip it out while holding it vertically. It means the box is really stable and can’t fall apart. I also made lids.

Here is one pretty fabulous one (not mine):
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/show-us-your-homemade-molds.72890/#post-735675

Here are mine:
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/making-timber-molds.64078/

Last edited:
Do the Nurture molds all have the holes in the bottom or just their basic molds? I've been wondering if the suction of the soap in the mold that I keep reading about is exclusive to silicone liners or if it also applies to freezer paper lined molds.

I have a 7lb loaf and a 5lb T&S from nurture. I’ve had them 8 years now and they are “as new” I made my own timber supporting molds and I’ll try and find the link on here.

At first my silicone molds were difficult to get out of the timber molds.
I put a large circle in the bottom of the mold so I could push the soap out but never used it!
I also made one end removable so I can pull the silicone liner out that way or tip it out while holding it vertically. It means the box is really stable and can’t fall apart. I also made lids.

Here is one pretty fabulous one (not mine):
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/show-us-your-homemade-molds.72890/#post-735675

Here are mine:
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/making-timber-molds.64078/
I actually read both of these before posting. I love love love @KiwiMoose unique mold. I've never seen one like it. I don't think I could convince dh to attempt that. Yours are more likely the style dh will make for me IF I don't get anxious and order one first. 😂

I called Nurture (very nice people) and found out that their premium molds do not have the holes in the bottom but still have the removable long sides, which I like. I am now waiting for an estimate on a custom. I think I just want the premium mold without the silicone liner and plexiglass lid. DH can easily make me a wooden lid and the extra couple pieces I want to make it adjustable.

I started with the 10" Silicone Loaf Mold from BrambleBerry. I liked that size of bar, so when it came time to upscale, I went with the 5lb Basic Mold from Nurture Soap...it's a rectangle wooden box with silicone liner. When my BIL saw it, he made me six boxes and I just bought the liners.

Now in between BrambleBerry and Nurture Soap, I did trying lining a mold I got from Hobby Lobby and decided I didn't like having to line my molds.

NS does make a Premium 5lb Mold...one of the sides comes off and it comes with a clear lid. I don't make fancy tops on my soap so I have no need to remove the side of the mold. I just turn it upside down and push on the holes in the bottom of the mold and it pops out. I then clean the liner, return it to the box and put the cardboard insert back in. As for a lid, we have a company in the neighborhood that makes custom wooden crates and sets their 'scrap' wood outside for folks to pick up. I just found a few long pieces and cut them up.

I did consider going with slab molds, but my sales don't [yet] warrant making 25lbs of any one soap at the present time.

I started with the 10" Silicone Loaf Mold from BrambleBerry. I liked that size of bar, so when it came time to upscale, I went with the 5lb Basic Mold from Nurture Soap...it's a rectangle wooden box with silicone liner. When my BIL saw it, he made me six boxes and I just bought the liners.

Now in between BrambleBerry and Nurture Soap, I did trying lining a mold I got from Hobby Lobby and decided I didn't like having to line my molds.

NS does make a Premium 5lb Mold...one of the sides comes off and it comes with a clear lid. I don't make fancy tops on my soap so I have no need to remove the side of the mold. I just turn it upside down and push on the holes in the bottom of the mold and it pops out. I then clean the liner, return it to the box and put the cardboard insert back in. As for a lid, we have a company in the neighborhood that makes custom wooden crates and sets their 'scrap' wood outside for folks to pick up. I just found a few long pieces and cut them up.

I did consider going with slab molds, but my sales don't [yet] warrant making 25lbs of any one soap at the present time.
Cardboard insert?
Nevermind, I see it in one of their reviews on YouTube.

Last edited:
Do the Nurture molds all have the holes in the bottom or just their basic molds?
I don’t know. I put the holes in the molds I made because I couldn’t get the silicone molds out when I first made them. But once I had soap in the mold and I’d done it a few times it became easier s. Still it’s a good safeguard. As is the removable short end.

Cardboard insert?
Nevermind, I see it in one of their reviews on YouTube.
The liners have a cardboard insert when they are shipped. I just got into the habit of putting them back in so the silicone doesn't develop any 'memory'. Not that I know if silicone does/doesn't not, but the cardboard is there, so why not use it. And it keeps the molds clean between uses.

Do the Nurture molds all have the holes in the bottom or just their basic molds? I've been wondering if the suction of the soap in the mold that I keep reading about is exclusive to silicone liners or if it also applies to freezer paper lined molds.
If you hover your mouse over the molds, it will show you which ones do and do not (as for as I know). It would make sense for the molds with removable sides not to have holes, since it is not needed.

The suction isn't as pronounced with paper as with silicone. I was using an HDPE mold with paper and it seemed to be more of a struggle to get the soap out of the mold because the batter is still creating compression.

Latest posts

Back