What sticks to parchment paper?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathymzr

Reaction score
Being a new soaper, I have spent a bit on supplies, and a couple of molds, but I like to make my own out of found items. I line them with parchment, and they are fine. But I really would like to find a tape that will help hold the parchment in place. Some thing sort of work but come loose. Has anyone found something that will really hold to parchment?

Being a new soaper, I have spent a bit on supplies, and a couple of molds, but I like to make my own out of found items. I line them with parchment, and they are fine. But I really would like to find a tape that will help hold the parchment in place. Some thing sort of work but come loose. Has anyone found something that will really hold to parchment?
I haven’t found anything that sticks to parchment paper. I use long, wide-ish rubber bands to hold the paper in place around the top edge of a mold. It works well for cardboard boxes that hold a batter made from 12-16 oz of oils. The same approach might work for a larger box if you can find a big enough rubber band.

if you are using wood molds I wonder if a stapler would work--it would only leave tiny holes

I haven’t found anything that sticks to parchment paper. I use long, wide-ish rubber bands to hold the paper in place around the top edge of a mold. It works well for cardboard boxes that hold a batter made from 12-16 oz of oils. The same approach might work for a larger box if you can find a big enough rubber band.
I like the idea of using rubber bands. I'll have to try that. I have not found anything that will stick to parchment paper and it's quite frustrating.

I need to find the HUGE rubber bands to go around my 5# mold. Thanks for the reminder !
How about a rubber band chain!

18C2D459-1A6E-4793-A40F-63BD17C20C1C.jpeg

Rubber band chains sound good! Double stick tape to the back side would probably work. But I’m going to try the heat resistant Mylar. I like the idea that they can be washed and reused. I’ll let you know how that works
Get some tape made for freezer paper. Works for me.

Yay! But where do you get it?? Does it have a brand name?!

Last edited by a moderator:

I have wooden molds and I use masking tape. The last ones I got from a Costco Business warehouse. 3 of them for about $5.00. You can also find them in Walmart or CVS etc.

So I looked up Costco Business warehouse and find that there are only 17 of them in the US, so not readily accessible, but good to know of them. I had not known they existed.
I have wooden molds and I use masking tape. The last ones I got from a Costco Business warehouse. 3 of them for about $5.00. You can also find them in Walmart or CVS etc.

So you have actually seen wooden molds at Walmart and CVS? I have never seen any soap making supplies at CVS and so far have not found any soapmaking supplies at Walmart, although I read some folks have seen them in their local Walmarts. I keep looking since I read that here, but no luck yet. Or are you talking about freezer tape? I might be confused.

Haven't had any problems using masking tape, painters tape (it's the same as masking tape), or duct tape.

I bet you silk/cloth tape, a kind of medical tape, would work too.

Painters tape, masking tape and scotch tape do not stick to the non-stick parchment paper I buy at COSTCO. I also can’t write on it with a pen or pencil. I know this because I originally bought the pp to use in drafting sewing patterns, but then discovered that my tracing lines, even if done with a sharpie, would wipe right off. I have purchased pp in the past that did not have the non-stick coating and tape would stick to it just fine. There are at least two kinds of parchment paper...

@Zany_in_CO my molds are too small and I’m too sloppy to use binder clips, but that was what I tried first.

What you call parchment paper in the US, we call baking paper. The baking paper here easily holds with sticky tape.

Did I say earlier that I use Clothes Line Wooden Clips.... what are they called, too early to think right now and Darn hot at 6:30am.... They just barely fit on the molds i have but it works for now.
I have not soaped lately but I will be using the rubber bands.

I have tried those clips but the silver part gets in my way and I don't need to be irritated while soaping ;)

Latest posts

Back