What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weekend soap plans... yes please. I have a few orders from this week to fill and mail. I have lots of pictures, packaging and labeling to do. But I really hope the dungeon isn't too hot to make soap, as I have quite a few restocks and new soaps to make. I told myself I wasn't going to put myself into the position of making soap during the summer, but here it is mid-May and I'm getting dangerously close to not having my soapmaking done. Also, I should probably follow Earlene's example and finish that block of Palm.
Weekend update:
Orders filled - check! Will be picked up by mail carrier tomorrow, so bonus points for not having to go to the PO
Pictures - failed
Packaging - failed
Labeling - Half check. I labeled the solid perfumes and lip balms (that I made WEEKS ago) but did not do the soaps
Soaps Made - Mechanics Scrub, Citronella Cedarwood, and Cool Water dupe
Block of Palm - Forgot it existed (fortunately weather is still cool, but will need to move it today for the warmup coming this week)

Plans for the week:
More soap! and taking care of that Palm.

Where did you get your stamp? Can't wait to see some stamped soap from you!
I got it on Etsy from a seller in Canada. Her stamps look pretty cool and she has great reviews. My stamp should ship tomorrow and she always sends you a picture of the impression it makes before she ships. I'll post it once I test it out

Made soap last night. It was a rough Monday so I went with something that always performs well. Tried a new design with it, and a slightly new technique. A simple ITPS (I poured two colors into one main color, only one color on each side, and no spoon swirl) and poured that into my loaf mold from one end only, the pour end was raised slightly on a couple of blocks to push all the soap down. I had to stop a few times to wiggle the mold and level out the soap, but man, watching the soap flow into the mold was so satisfying! It wasn't firm enough to cut at lunch, so I'll cut it when I get off work tonight. I haven't been this twitchy about cutting soap in a long time.

Tonight's plans, besides cutting soap, are to do the dang dishes. Ugh, the tote is gross.

Last edited by a moderator:
Made soap today - showing a friend how to make it. It was a lot of fun. She picked out the color and Lemongrass EO. I sent her home with the soap in the mold....she might be hooked!

Deb's Soap.jpg

I’m new to soaping but I made my first soap a few weeks ago and I’m hooked, I made my 8th batch last night and my first attempt at swirling so was really happy. I started out with basic ones and a charcoal soap but have just started experimenting with colours. This forum has been amazing at helping me to get to grips with soaping and I know I’ve got lots more experimenting to do

Attachments

• D6F366F4-4750-4963-92EE-50AE13FFBDB5.jpeg
    D6F366F4-4750-4963-92EE-50AE13FFBDB5.jpeg
    141.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 5305B5BC-DB59-4B9E-8AA3-5F48411D2EE7.jpeg
    5305B5BC-DB59-4B9E-8AA3-5F48411D2EE7.jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 22
Am I losing it or did some of this thread get split into some place else?

I must be losing it too as I noticed that odd post and wondered what it was referring to. 😆 On a more related note...I made a wine soap last night while tired and forgot the FO so had to remove my beautiful ITPS from the mold, destroying my pretty swirl and making an ugly color. I quickly added the FO and made up some more color for another ITPS. Color is not nearly as nice. Looks kind of like lunch meat now. :nodding: Serves me right for soaping while I’m tired. Actually looks like a very fatty cut of beef. :rolleyes: I cut one and realized I need to wait. Has little pimples from cutting too soft.

Attachments

• AB3824D0-09D7-4B90-AA86-2A346D56D8CC.jpeg
    AB3824D0-09D7-4B90-AA86-2A346D56D8CC.jpeg
    45.9 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
I made a "mixed bag" soap last night - so called mixed bag because I started with one FO, didn't have enough, so I added another FO (which happily used the last of that FO too, so i cleared shelf space for two of the new 13 bottles I just ordered from NG #FOHO). I've been playing a bit with the Royalty Soap recipe, just to have something in my pocket for the forum challenges when I need something that plays well (because it's well documented that my recipe is a bit temperamental just like its owner :D ). I'm also playing with how long I need to cure it before I can use it - cuz dude 30% CO - so I'm just making small 500g batches to play with. It's also a good way to get rid of some of my older FO's, so bonus points.

Other soapy projects... I'm going to finish the soap dishes tonight. I'm working on designing two custom orders for Christmas (soaps deliver in October) it's just a soap with quite a few fiddly bits, so I'm figuring out what I need, what I need to do, and how I can break out some of the design elements into smaller pieces so I don't bore myself to death with fiddly soap nonsense. Otherwise I'm super excited to do these soaps! It's going to be fun and challenging. I'm going to finish off the week with an OMH soap, maybe two of them... one with OMH scent and one with Lavender Sage, or maybe Rosewood Musk... hmmm decisions. I may end up doing 3 batches....

Experiment # 17, I am still trying differnt stuff. Last night I tried a recipe from Lovely Greens/Soleseif, it is a salt-brine simple soap with 30% coconut, so I upped the SF to 7%. It is hard and shiny like french milled and I used Peru Balsam for the first time to scent it. I love the smell, but it is quite viscous and left some brown dots. Next time I use it, I will put it into the oils and stick blend to homoginize it better before combining with the lye. I mostly stirred with a spatula because the stick blender caused tiny, tiny bubbles, it was like making 7-Up soap! So, I stirred it down and just kept stirring.

I just identified the scent, it smells just like "Cashmere Bouquet" of olden days!

Attachments

• IMG_0067.jpg
    IMG_0067.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I just made the first part (layered part) of my challenge soap, and got inspired to finally make my Dante's inferno soap. It's a mix of Egyptian Amber, Nag Champa, and Dragon's Blood. I'm hoping it will look like a fire in the deep black abyss with red/orange (ish) swirls. I guess we'll see tomorrow when I cut it. I also did up some soapy dishes, but now with making these batches will have to do it again tomorrow. LOL

Am I losing it or did some of this thread get split into some place else?
Yes, I think it has & no, you are not loosing it. I noticed that, too and informed admin. It was being looked into.

I must be losing it too as I noticed that odd post and wondered what it was referring to. 😆

I must be losing it too as I noticed that odd post and wondered what it was referring to. 😆 On a more related note...I made a wine soap last night while tired and forgot the FO so had to remove my beautiful ITPS from the mold, destroying my pretty swirl and making an ugly color. I quickly added the FO and made up some more color for another ITPS. Color is not nearly as nice. Looks kind of like lunch meat now. :nodding: Serves me right for soaping while I’m tired. Actually looks like a very fatty cut of beef. :rolleyes: I cut one and realized I need to wait. Has little pimples from cutting too soft.
All soap that looks like meat looks better when it cures. I know this from experience :).

Are you cutting with a wire cutter? Do you find that you get fewer "pimples" if you wait longer to cut it? I am not the most patient when it comes to cutting.[/QUOTE]

Back