What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I reached a stick of butter out of the freezer and told my wife we were running out of soap... everything looks like soap to me, right now! I did point out to her that in my defense, it would be easy to turn the butter into soap!

PS: I was looking at a block of cheddar cheese at lunch today and wondered if I could make soap from cheese. It's mostly fat, right? The mind reels.

I reached a stick of butter out of the freezer and told my wife we were running out of soap... everything looks like soap to me, right now! I did point out to her that in my defense, it would be easy to turn the butter into soap!

PS: I was looking at a block of cheddar cheese at lunch today and wondered if I could make soap from cheese. It's mostly fat, right? The mind reels.
I recently accidentally made a brick of soap that looks like cheddar cheese! That counts, right? 😂

Took a bunch of photos of soap to put in my website. I think I made them a year ago. 😂 One batch I used BB’s Lily Lemon Drop and it still smells lovely. Good to know that the fragrance stuck around.

Also took photos of a batch of Lavender Sage from Nurture Soap. Lovely fragrance and, as I also made that batch a year ago, pleased that the fragrance is as strong as the day I poured it.
F0C98874-1228-443D-AA6F-DB14413F6569.jpeg

This was my laminate challenge fail. I actually think it’s beautiful. Used NS’s Satsuma Orange fragrance oil and it’s still going strong.
1B2FFA3A-69D7-49B5-8254-34294F947A5B.jpeg

Also, Amber Hearth from from Crafter’s Choice. Used 20% sesame seed oil in this recipe. The sesame oil scent is still there a bit and really compliments the fragrance oil. I call this one “Driftwood” because that’s what my friend’s daughter said it smells like. Kinda smells like peanut butter to me. 😂
97F35FE8-82CC-47AC-BEA3-D7BF9E13ED52.jpeg

Was on a kiss pour streak for a while. Used Rosemary Mint. Still smells really nice. I think it was an Elements Bath and Body fragrance oil but I don’t know for sure.
38D2EE53-6989-42BE-A35D-B5BA7B8394F0.jpeg

Last edited:
Took a bunch of photos of soap to put in my website. I think I made them a year ago. 😂 One batch I used BB’s Lily Lemon Drop and it still smells lovely. Good to know that the fragrance stuck around.

Also took photos of a batch of Lavender Sage from Nurture Soap. Lovely fragrance and, as I also made that batch a year ago, pleased that the fragrance is as strong as the day I poured it.
View attachment 72840

This was my laminate challenge fail. I actually think it’s beautiful. Used NS’s Satsuma Orange fragrance oil and it’s still going strong.
View attachment 72839

Also, Amber Hearth from from Crafter’s Choice. Used 20% sesame seed oil in this recipe. The sesame oil scent is still there a bit and really compliments the fragrance oil. I call this one “Driftwood” because that’s what my friend’s daughter said it smells like. Kinda smells like peanut butter to me. 😂View attachment 72841

Was on a kiss pour streak for a while. Used Rosemary Mint. Still smells really nice. I think it was an Elements Bath and Body fragrance oil but I don’t know for sure.
View attachment 72842
Ooo! I love the gold swirl in the middle of the pink & black one ~ it makes it look "boutique luxe" (I think I made a new descriptive 😄)
And that kiss pour is pretty

I made neem oil soap for the first time! I was inspired by the thread about using neem oil soap as a natural mosquito repellent. I used 20% neem.

I read over a few threads here about neem oil, and sure enough, my batter, like that of others here on the forum, moved quite quickly. I didn't use a stick blender at all. I hand whisked and it took about 2 minutes to reach light trace. But it went from light to heavy trace in a matter of seconds! I was able to get it in the mold before it solidified. I kept it unscented and did not use any colorants.

Here's how it looked after the cut, about 16 hours after making it:
171st batch - Neem oil soap1.jpg

And here's how it looked about 2 days into the cure:
171st batch - Neem oil soap2.jpg

I made neem oil soap for the first time! I was inspired by the thread about using neem oil soap as a natural mosquito repellent. I used 20% neem.

I read over a few threads here about neem oil, and sure enough, my batter, like that of others here on the forum, moved quite quickly. I didn't use a stick blender at all. I hand whisked and it took about 2 minutes to reach light trace. But it went from light to heavy trace in a matter of seconds! I was able to get it in the mold before it solidified. I kept it unscented and did not use any colorants.

Here's how it looked after the cut, about 16 hours after making it:
View attachment 72896

And here's how it looked about 2 days into the cure:
View attachment 72897
Please keep us updated on this - and if it really works for the mozzies. I am one of their favourite treats - would be wonderful if bathing with neem could keep them off me - somehow they always seem to find the spot I missed with the repellant stick!

Last night I dreamed I was watching a video from Lisa of I Dream In Soap (I know, funny right off the bat) and she had a new gadget for extruding soap dough - it was electronic and looked like a glue gun. But it started going haywire extruding mountains of soap dough. But she was handling it in her Lisa way, trying to get it to stop while still narrating. 😄

Made lots of stain sticks and this time I SBed until it traced (haha) and they came out just fine. This time I let the batter tell me when it was done instead of the clock. 🕒 I don't understand why 100% CO takes sooooo long to trace, but it sure does.
100% CO traces super fast for me. Can I ask how much water you used, and your temps? Oh, and did you add the limonene up front?

100% CO traces super fast for me. Can I ask how much water you used, and your temps? Oh, and did you add the limonene up front?
I'd love it if you could shed some light on this mystery! I used 35% lye concentration. Lye water was about 101. CO was 97. I added the limonene after it (finally!) traced. Only thing different from my previous soaping is my new Braun Multiquick SB. Used that one at middle speed -- for a long time.

Wow for me that would be traced in about 10 seconds max. And this is 76-degree CO, right? Unless you made a huge batch, that’s a total mystery to me! Maybe try soaping hotter next time -like 130F -and see how that goes.
Yep, 76 degree CO. I'm totally mystified. That's why I poured too soon the other day -- just couldn't believe it wasn't ready after about 2 or 3 minutes. I will try soaping hotter next time and let you know how it goes.

Last night I dreamed I was watching a video from Lisa of I Dream In Soap (I know, funny right off the bat) and she had a new gadget for extruding soap dough - it was electronic and looked like a glue gun. But it started going haywire extruding mountains of soap dough. But she was handling it in her Lisa way, trying to get it to stop while still narrating. 😄
Uh, Vicki, it's time.
iggy azalea netflix GIF

@Vicki C I relate! We have to leave for Singapore to visit family in a few days’ time and all my son and I can think about is: Do we have enough time for just ONE more soap?

We have cleared the table, lined up our EOs, bought some oil and recruited my sister-in-law to babysit our soap as it cures in our absence… so this is our soapy thing today 🤣😂

Latest posts

Back