What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really? I thought it was a given. I think all of mine have developed ash, or maybe it’s just the way salt bars look 🤷‍♀️
This salt bar is a couple years old now and is still as smooth as the day I unmolded it. You can see the "glow" at the top of the bar. Ignore the slight stain; the bar had been wrapped and used as a sample; that's where the "sniff spot" (a hole in the shrink wrap) was. I just unwrapped it to take the picture.

20230228_202111_HDR.jpg

These are the salt bars I made last weekend. I used the Ciaglia method to use up some of my scraps from regular non-salt soaps. I also added EOs for the first time in more than a year to see if I could handle the smell. @Misschief you were right. It does mellow out dramatically. Now I'm wondering if the smell will stick or disappear entirely. I only added it at 2%.

20230228_183647.jpg

These are the salt bars I made last weekend. I used the Ciaglia method to use up some of my scraps from regular non-salt soaps. I also added EOs for the first time in more than a year to see if I could handle the smell. @Misschief you were right. It does mellow out dramatically. Now I'm wondering if the smell will stick or disappear entirely. I only added it at 2%.

View attachment 71169
I just unwrapped a salt bar that I made about 2 years ago and the scent was still there.

I made these this past weekend. They're part of a special order for a local winery, made with their red and white wines. This weekend, I'll be making two more batches, one with their rose and one with their spiced apple cider.

View attachment 71185
Oh so wonderful I didn't know you could make soap with wine they are very beautiful. What do they smell like?

Oh so wonderful I didn't know you could make soap with wine they are very beautiful. What do they smell like?
The red wine soap is scented with Merlot FO and the white wine soap is scented with Chardonnay FO. Both are on the fruity side. I cook the wine before using it to soap with, just to burn off the alcohol.

The red wine soap is scented with Merlot FO and the white wine soap is scented with Chardonnay FO. Both are on the fruity side. I cook the wine before using it to soap with, just to burn off the alcohol.
Oh wow I was wondering about that the alcohol that's neet. Well I really think that's cool making soap for a winery and they are beautiful 😍

Well I don't have enough time to make a batch of soap today or tomorrow which I'm so excited to do with my new supplies so what I'm going to do is see how much oils and colors I can pour out to see how many batches I can make on Sunday and I will have a whole day of soap making I think that will be fun! I just don't know how to pre mix my lye yet because I can't seem to find any safe containers for lye with good lids and stuff but getting the oils and colors weighed out should save me lots of time today. This will be fun!!! I've only made one batch at a time in a day before.

HELP NEEDED from the soap wizards! I made a batter that traced nice and slow a couple days ago, for this lovely chopstick swirl shared by Holly on YouTube. It was quite soft the next day so I unmolded it and left it for another 12 hours. Cut with my Hercules wire cutter, and the soap has this weird “pebbly” texture on the cut surfaces. This is the first time I’ve had this happen, and I’m flummoxed. Anyone have a clue what caused the textured surface?

Attachments

• 054E1852-D9F2-46B9-8B52-D3E36D5F5F19.jpeg
    054E1852-D9F2-46B9-8B52-D3E36D5F5F19.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Well I don't have enough time to make a batch of soap today or tomorrow which I'm so excited to do with my new supplies so what I'm going to do is see how much oils and colors I can pour out to see how many batches I can make on Sunday and I will have a whole day of soap making I think that will be fun! I just don't know how to pre mix my lye yet because I can't seem to find any safe containers for lye with good lids and stuff but getting the oils and colors weighed out should save me lots of time today. This will be fun!!! I've only made one batch at a time in a day before.
The plastic juice containers that are sold at the Dollar Store are perfect for mixing lye. Just make sure the number on the bottom of the container is a 5. They are like $1.50 each for a 2-quart size container.

Latest posts

Back