What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
“Retirement” is nothing like I thought it would - it is far better!
Yes! I feel the same. I just love it.
I finally, finally, got my 3D printer I bought a YEAR ago calibrated and have started learning how to use tinkercad. Yesterday I figured out how to export a png to an svg file, bring it into tinkercad, create a disc, and export it into slicer software. Haven’t figured out the slicer software yet but that’s today’s mission. For whatever reason I have been intimidated about diving in, and now I am so excited to make scrapers, extruder discs, pull throughs, all the soapy things.
My husband is a CAD designer, and I’ve informed him that he’s going to be helping me when I get stuck. (Rolls his eyes and goes back to work.)

I did a test run of an octopus mold I bought to make soap for a diehard octopus fan. Apparently the stars were aligned in my world yesterday because, yes, this is cp soap!

397A573E-9A96-4569-8DE4-420DB40EC0B3.jpeg

I did a test run of an octopus mold I bought to make soap for a diehard octopus fan. Apparently the stars were aligned in my world yesterday because, yes, this is cp soap!

View attachment 70816
Wow, such sharp details!

I cut another soap. I'm mostly happy with it. I just wish I'd made all the blue the darker shade, so there is more contrast between the fox and sky.

Attachments

• 20230206_145727.jpg
    20230206_145727.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 0

View attachment 70816
Amazingly beautiful!

Made 2 x 250g experimental batches. 1 egg and 1 pine tar.
The eggsoap went beautifully - although the tallow turned cold when mixing with the egg. Guess I should've taken the egg out of the fridge even earlier. Did mix all to a very thick consistency - hope it was trace and not just fat solidifying. 🙈 In fridge waiting to see tomorrow.
The PT would not trace? Went at it with sb, but after sb more than twice as long as with my normal tallow batches I just poured the thin trace, holding thumbs for the best. Got it insulated now, hoping for the best.

I realized it's been 4 weeks since I made my no slime bars and decided to take my tester to the sink.

Doing the lather test and ah, it's got such nice and soft fluffy bubbles and lathers easily and abundantly. Doesn't seem slimy or sticky in any way.

And a few minutes later my hands feel so dry 😭 I had to whip out one of my lotion bars.

Well, these will be going to my guinea pigs after my two month test (it might get better by then!). If they love it, then I know I'm the weirdo. Maybe I just have the unlucky high OO hating skin genes. Meanwhile my skin loves 30% CO... 🤨

Last edited:
.... then I know I'm the weirdo...
Ummm @basti, now that you mention it, there's something we've been meaning to tell you.... 🤭😁🤣

All joking aside, a few of us here on SMF have skin that doesn't respond well to high OO soaps, whether it is dryness or itchiness or some other weirdness. If weird is a tribe, you've found yours. :)

Ummm @basti, now that you mention it, there's something we've been meaning to tell you.... 🤭😁🤣
Oh no 🤯 Hopefully it's the good kind of weirdo and I can go join the X-Men or something 🤣
All joking aside, a few of us here on SMF have skin that doesn't respond well to high OO soaps, whether it is dryness or itchiness or some other weirdness. If weird is a tribe, you've found yours. :)
Glad I'm not alone! ✨

Ugh. I made soap using my infusions. I'm beginning to think natural colorants aren't for me. I've managed to come up with the world's best shade of peutrid split pea soup green and what looks to be a promising Halloween soap unless the colors change significantly overnight. 🤦

Ugh. I made soap using my infusions. I'm beginning to think natural colorants aren't for me. I've managed to come up with the world's best shade of peutrid split pea soup green and what looks to be a promising Halloween soap unless the colors change significantly overnight. 🤦
Photos?

Yes! I feel the same. I just love it.
I finally, finally, got my 3D printer I bought a YEAR ago calibrated and have started learning how to use tinkercad. Yesterday I figured out how to export a png to an svg file, bring it into tinkercad, create a disc, and export it into slicer software. Haven’t figured out the slicer software yet but that’s today’s mission. For whatever reason I have been intimidated about diving in, and now I am so excited to make scrapers, extruder discs, pull throughs, all the soapy things.
My husband is a CAD designer, and I’ve informed him that he’s going to be helping me when I get stuck. (Rolls his eyes and goes back to work.)
Vicki C: curious where and what type of 3D printer you bought? If you'd like to share! Not that I have time to learn a new game ...............

It's under a blanket right now. I'm hoping the colors will magically morph to something less Halloween orange by the time I look. I used turmeric infused OO at 20% and paprika infused OO at 40% (yes, I made 2 separate half batches to combine), but after whizzing them both with the sb, they looked nearly identical in color! So out came the AC to see if I could at least make a third color and it just got so much worse. Lol. Maybe I'll get lucky and the turmeric will mellow out to yellow. 🤔

One person's peutrid split pea soup green is another person's favorite color. C'mon, let us see!

So I'm just wondering what stages everyone's at. :) I'm a curious little cat, I am.

For myself, I'm waiting for my most recent batch of bar soap to firm up (trying to give it 24 hours before I even touch it, since the soapcalc numbers put it just shy of the 'ideal' hardness range). In addition I fiddled around with the liquid soap I made yesterday (a good chunk of it didn't dissolved, and I was seeing if that was because there wasn't enough water to dilute it all... sure enough that was the problem so it was diluted and added to the bottle holding the rest of it).

And right now I have a tea going that will eventually be strained and frozen, to be used when I make my shampoo bar. Still need to get to my aunt's to pick her citrus trees... But at least I can have the liquid ready to go! I measured out 1/2 oz of dried marshmallow root, 1 1/2 cups water (both weighed to the gram), and then for kicks I tossed in one bag each of Bigelow's Chammomile Lemon and I Love Lemon teas. I'm going to be infusing both chamomile and lemon into the oils, and needed to use the teas anyways (and I don't drink tea). Win-win, right? I might not need all of the tea for the shampoo bar (I'll only be using about 500g oils after all), but at least I'll have it done. :)
That shampoo bar sounds fabulous. Marshmallow root and tea also good in homemade cough drops.

Back