What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished a MOUNTAIN of soapy, bath-bomby, lotion-y dishes. Can you say prune hands? 🤪

Now it is time to play around with LS formulas. My SIL has asked for a thick, non-drying LS that he can use as a body-wash in the shower. I'll probably end up riffing on @IrishLass' Creamy Coco-Shea Recipe in some form or another.

Today was a day to make all the things! I just finished bottling the LS/bodywash for my SIL, using Irish Lass' Creamy Cocoa-Shea recipe. He asked for barely-scented peppermint. My peppermint EO is kind of medicinal, so I added a titch of Vanilla Select to sweeten it up 🤫🤭 and called it "Soft Mint."

I did use the faster method for dissolving the KOH in an equal amount of water, and using glycerin for the remaining liquid. I also stick-blended past the bubble stage to the taffy stage, which sped things up considerably, too. But for some reason, it took a lot more water to dilute the paste than normal, so the soap is thinner than I'd like. Hopefully it thickens a bit tonight as it goes through the amber ale stage and back to the final creamy, non-drying LS for which this recipe is famous.

Then I decided to make him a companion lotion with the same scent, using the DIY B&B recipe, with jojoba as the extra oil (his fave). That went quickly and is also bottled and labeled now, ready to go.

Then I remembered that we are on our last shampoo bar, so I made a batch of those, too! For the past year, I've been using the DIY B&B Hot Pour recipe, but tonight I decided to make a small batch of the original SCI powder formula. It was a good reminder why I prefer the pourable recipe! There is so much waste with original formula because it sticks to everything until it firms up enough to be properly molded. Of course, if someone would be patient and mature enough not to keep touching it to see, perhaps there wouldn't be as much of the mix lost to the gloves, the table, the spatula, etc. 😄

Attachments

• 848220A9-6497-427B-92D6-1E64B5604DA4.jpeg
    848220A9-6497-427B-92D6-1E64B5604DA4.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Why thank you! Our local college team is the Tigers. My son and his wife own a lavender farm and I make all of their soaps/body care products. We are doing a line of smaller soaps for B&Bs in the area that will also carry the tiger-tail design. “Retirement” is nothing like I thought it would - it is far better!

Made some tiger tale swirl soaps for our son and his family.
Wow - those came out great!! Very dramatic.

I made a lavender soap and I was amazed at how slow the batter moved.. I could have swirled for hours and hours. It was 16g French Lavender FO, 18 g Lavender EO (40/42) and 4g Patchouli. I wonder if the linalool content is what makes it move so slow?

Wow - those came out great!! Very dramatic.

I made a lavender soap and I was amazed at how slow the batter moved.. I could have swirled for hours and hours. It was 16g French Lavender FO, 18 g Lavender EO (40/42) and 4g Patchouli. I wonder if the linalool content is what makes it move so slow?
I made lavender last week, mauve with a white swirl. I haven't done lavender since my first soaps, so I was surprised too that it was a very slow mover. I used a french lavender FO. I'm not use to that, I've changed my OO and think that could be it, with my recipe I don't have much time and work quickly to get it in the mould, do swirls, texture top etc. This time I was standing around waiting for it to firm up, go figure.

I have enough soy wax left to make one small batch of soap this weekend. And then I have to wait for my supplier to get some more in from the USA. They are the only stockist of GW415 in New Zealand. I have used other brands before but I like that one best. I guess I could order just 2 kgs of a different type to tide me over until the 415 arrives.
I know this says 416, but wondering if this can help you get through.
https://www.eroma.com.au/golden-wax-gw-416-soy-wax/

At that price, I bought it. Based on the reviews, people are having success with some pretty nasty water. As far as I can tell, the secret to keeping it clean without a lot of hassle is to shut it off while there’s still a bit of water left in the heating unit. Will report back. Thank you!
@AliOop Icky stuff left behind and distilled water in the jug. 👏🏻 Thanks again for the tip.

75BBD109-9B12-4D5B-A8C2-42EB18971A2B.jpegA99B4396-EE36-4087-A636-77E60A3BD2C1.jpeg

It's in the Ultimate Guide to Soapmaking Facebook group files.
@Blue1969 that particular recipe is also listed publicly in the blog area of her website, here. She has a lot of great information and good recipes available for free on the blog, but if you are new to soaping and want a solid grounding in the science, her e-books/courses are a great place to get that.

@Blue1969 that particular recipe is also listed publicly in the blog area of her website, here. She has a lot of great information and good recipes available for free on the blog, but if you are new to soaping and want a solid grounding in the science, her e-books/courses are a great place to get that.
Thank you for this, @AliOop. I was at work when I answered and got a phone call as I was typing.

Back