What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FINALLY did something soapy today! It's been a minute since I've soaped. I masterbatched oils and lye solution. I also brewed coffee with distilled water for a gardener's soap.

Today we cut soap that my mom and sister made on Saturday. Dad started singing the Grandma's lye soap song, when they were getting ready to leave. So my husband played it for us while we were cutting the soap🤣
Uh, hello? You mention the Grandma's lye soap song as if everyone knows the Grandma's lye soap song!! :) You've gotta post a recording of your hubby singing. I'm thinking it'll go viral like the Fancy Soap song did, .

Uh, hello? You mention the Grandma's lye soap song as if everyone knows the Grandma's lye soap song!! :) You've gotta post a recording of your hubby singing. I'm thinking it'll go viral like the Fancy Soap song did, .

Lol, I didn't explain that very well! My 90 y.o. Dad was singing it for mom and sister when they were getting ready to come to my house. My husband found a recording on YT and played it for us to hear.

Yay, for you getting to masters batch today!

I'm feeling peachy right now I tried a different style of swirling my new peach soap I just made this will be my next attempt at swirling I hope I like it. It does smell like peaches but reminds me of peach 🍑 snaps and I hate peach snaps I will post pics tomorrow on my gallery.
20230131_135642.jpg

I made soap today! First time in 6 weeks. Totally utilitarian gardener/mechanic with borax (major credit to @earlene ). Sometimes it's nice to not have color prep or divided batter. And I just dump exfoliants right in shredded loofah, poppy seeds, coffee grounds. Scented with oak moss and bergamot essential oils. First time using oak moss. Love it.
In our bedroom, we have an essential oil diffuser with oak moss and lime essential oils. Smells so good.

@CLMP What FO did you use? I’ve got a trial size peach scent from CandleScience and I’ve been debating whether to use it for soap or candles. I’ll be interested to hear how you like it!
Hi @VikingChick . I used Peach Perfection FO from Suds n' Sents. It smells nice I just pulled it out of the oven. It's nice, just not me kinda nice lol. I don't know if I'm a peach kinda person someone else might like it I love my Rhubarb soap I just made alot better lol! I would say if you you like the smell in the bottle you will probably like it for soaping if you find it a bit strong on the nose you might not that's what mine is like strong thats why to me it smells like peach snaps but it has a Softer smell in the soap.

@CLMP What FO did you use? I’ve got a trial size peach scent from CandleScience and I’ve been debating whether to use it for soap or candles. I’ll be interested to hear how you like it!
Is it peach nectar? I like it but then I kinda don't. To me it seems to 'go off' quickly. It's nice for the first week or two then it smells a little icky. I can't explain it.
@CLMP - you mean Peach Schnapps as in the alcohol? Did you drink too much of it when you were a teenager? That'd do it! I'm the same with dark rum - bleeeugh!

Hmm. "Rustic" is the word of the day. Soap is freshly cut but apparently my lining skills need some serious practice and I can't cut a straight line to save my life. I also now know I'm not a fan of charcoal, as I can see tiny flects of it in the finished soap. Mica, here I come!

We're sans vehicle this week so I've been working from home (DH is picking up the vehicle at the moment... end of an adventure, I hope), and it hasn't been very busy at all so I've had plenty of time to play in the soap kitchen. I've been learning about liquid soap but have run out of distilled water so some things are out of the question. That said, I still have sea water on hand and came across a recipe for a soap based on a Savon de Marseille. My understanding is that a true Savon de Marseille is similar to a true Castile soap (100% olive). This one is predominantly olive oil, with the addition of some palm and coconut oils. I've coloured with a bit of French Green Clay and a pinch of Chromium Oxide Green. It's scented with Aztec's Aloe & Green Clover, my new favourite FO.

20230201_125500_HDR.jpg

Is it peach nectar? I like it but then I kinda don't. To me it seems to 'go off' quickly. It's nice for the first week or two then it smells a little icky. I can't explain it.
@CLMP - you mean Peach Schnapps as in the alcohol? Did you drink too much of it when you were a teenager? That'd do it! I'm the same with dark rum - bleeeugh!
Lol @KiwiMoose . Yup that's what I meant lol. It's funny you said that 🤣 My sister liked drinking that when we were teenagers and I couldn't stand the smell of it lol I tried it once and could barely get it down. If I was to drink Im more of a beer and whiskey kind of person lol. I'm not sure if it's peach nectar. I'm done cutting my soap now so I will post it on my gallery it smells nice not strong but I don't know if I like it.

🤢Both peach schnapps and rum for me.🥴
Lol I like rum but schnapps makes me gag lol I bet you would love my peach soap I just made lol I don't know if I like it I'm going to go post it now 😅 lol

We're sans vehicle this week so I've been working from home (DH is picking up the vehicle at the moment... end of an adventure, I hope), and it hasn't been very busy at all so I've had plenty of time to play in the soap kitchen. I've been learning about liquid soap but have run out of distilled water so some things are out of the question. That said, I still have sea water on hand and came across a recipe for a soap based on a Savon de Marseille. My understanding is that a true Savon de Marseille is similar to a true Castile soap (100% olive). This one is predominantly olive oil, with the addition of some palm and coconut oils. I've coloured with a bit of French Green Clay and a pinch of Chromium Oxide Green. It's scented with Aztec's Aloe & Green Clover, my new favourite FO.

View attachment 70721
I just ordered that same scent but from NG. I'm hoping it smells as good as it sounds. And more importantly, I'm hoping it behaves.

I made a palm oil soap today. I have made po soaps in the past, but just a little and they were mostly made in my beginning of my soapy adventure. And my go-to fav has always been lard bars. All of my PO soaps are long gone, so I really can't speak on them. My lard soaps are good for swirls, but still have an ick factor for customers.

So after all this time, I am thinking about changing my recipe. I still like my lard bars, but I dunno: coming up with some sort of business plan I think.

Different from my beginning palm oil soaps, I am adding some nicer butters. Just testing.

So my soap tonight was just an itp swirl because with a different recipe I didn't know how it would work. Used a well known to me fo so I knew it wouldn't do anything stupid lol. But I wanted to have a nice vegan recipe that I could still be creative with. We will see.

Back