What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm way behind right now, considering that my first market of the season is Feb. 12 and I've only made one batch of soap so far this year. I'm just waiting for oils and lye to cool right now for my second batch. This one will be scented with Love Spell and coloured pink and purple. Thankfully, I'm working from home two days this week and I should have time to make a couple more batches. I know they won't be ready for the February market but soaps need to be made so....

At last did the multiple loaves in my slab mold. Managed 4 loaves with space in middle. Had slight incident when the second divider slid away under the pressure of the batter - luckily my wife was helping so we managed to scrape and push it back. All AC with different embeds and confetti. Can't wait to cut them and see how they turned out.

Here’s the last of the pink whipped soap that I scraped out of the crockpot.
B02989AA-C2F9-4F6B-B180-47500777854B.jpeg

Floating soaps are REALLY cute. My grandchildren love them. Just fnd the whipping tiring - and then struggling to get them into a mold to look pretty. Any helpfull ideas on these issues?
I made this whipped soap from a batch of melted soap. Compared with shredding the soap or making new soap, I didn’t think the whipping part was hard. I can’t help you with pretty because I’m planning to cut the top off the loaf to make square bars. I’ve seen at least one YT video where the maker piped whipped soap on top of the loaf.

I've had the best of intentions all month to make soap. I'm so intrigued by this month's challenge (and can I just say it is such a @Mobjack Bay -esque challenge!). I want to test colors for a different soap and this challenge is perfect. Swamped by work, tho'.

Our son the beekeeper is stopping soon on his way to Podunk, South Dakota. My dear dear cousin and her husband are ranchers and employ winter interns. I thought Zing Junior could use some gardener's soap so wrapped that up. And labeled another gardener's soap plus a pretty one for my cousins. Oop! He just pulled up -- bye!

Ok, ready for my stupid soapy thing today?

i got my new divided mold today. Didn't realize that it had three dividers instead of two. First stupid thing, but I was so excited to not have to cut cardboard boxes into dividers anymore. I am determined to make something out of it and make it work, even though the whole plan for this thing is smashed.

So I did a lot of calculations tonight: figuring out the four pours, splitting this one into this into this and that one into that. I was totally driving myself nuts. I mean, when they say that algebra doesn't count for anything later in life...whatever kid thought up that notion is crazy. This took half my night of figuring out my soap. I was completely disheveled by the fact that I now had to pour four sections instead of three like I planned.

I needed 50% of my batch to be white. Now I am not thinking in terms of HALF, I am thinking in percentages. 50% in my head does not even occur to me as HALF of my soap LOL. The other two colors were going to be mixed with 25% black and 25% pink. It went on and on with the calculator figuring this out in grams and dividing up the batch. I literally measured out the batter on the scale to make sure I had the correct percentage of white, and THEN I went ahead and put the next exact same weight pitcher onto the scale to measure out the next...

Ok knucklehead LOL LOL. Divide it up into 4 equal parts in 4 of the same pitchers, to make (4) 25% and pour two together to make the 50% batch for the white, and now you have two 25% other two colors just by eyeballing it LOL.

Seriously, it took me all night to come up with this conclusion after doing sooo much math and wasting my entire night.

I guess that is not my only stupid thing tonight: I didn't remember to put in my fragrance until I was halfway into my pour. But that's ok I think, because it was a swirl, so I divided up the scent between the four pitchers (without a calculator!!), so I think it's ok LOL.

Speaking of stupid things. My puppy stuck his head through the foot rails on a high-top foot rest/rail on the dining room chair that I am sitting on. I put my foot out so he couldn't get all the way through (cause he is annoying me right now lol). So now he thinks he is stuck...instead of just backing up out the same way he got in. So at least tonight...I am smarter than my puppy LOL

i got my new divided mold today. Didn't realize that it had three dividers instead of two. First stupid thing, but I was so excited to not have to cut cardboard boxes into dividers anymore. I am determined to make something out of it and make it work, even though the whole plan for this thing is smashed.

So I did a lot of calculations tonight: figuring out the four pours, splitting this one into this into this and that one into that. I was totally driving myself nuts. I mean, when they say that algebra doesn't count for anything later in life...whatever kid thought up that notion is crazy. This took half my night of figuring out my soap. I was completely disheveled by the fact that I now had to pour four sections instead of three like I planned.

I needed 50% of my batch to be white. Now I am not thinking in terms of HALF, I am thinking in percentages. 50% in my head does not even occur to me as HALF of my soap LOL. The other two colors were going to be mixed with 25% black and 25% pink. It went on and on with the calculator figuring this out in grams and dividing up the batch. I literally measured out the batter on the scale to make sure I had the correct percentage of white, and THEN I went ahead and put the next exact same weight pitcher onto the scale to measure out the next...

Ok knucklehead LOL LOL. Divide it up into 4 equal parts in 4 of the same pitchers, to make (4) 25% and pour two together to make the 50% batch for the white, and now you have two 25% other two colors just by eyeballing it LOL.

Seriously, it took me all night to come up with this conclusion after doing sooo much math and wasting my entire night.

I guess that is not my only stupid thing tonight: I didn't remember to put in my fragrance until I was halfway into my pour. But that's ok I think, because it was a swirl, so I divided up the scent between the four pitchers (without a calculator!!), so I think it's ok LOL.

Speaking of stupid things. My puppy stuck his head through the foot rails on a high-top foot rest/rail on the dining room chair that I am sitting on. I put my foot out so he couldn't get all the way through (cause he is annoying me right now lol). So now he thinks he is stuck...instead of just backing up out the same way he got in. So at least tonight...I am smarter than my puppy LOL
That was a rollercoaster, @Catscankim! My divider side pieces are cut for 3 sections on one side and 4 on the other, maybe you can adapt yours to give you the option?

And bhahahahaaa on Sir Mayhem Wiggles from FL 😂🐾😂 not knowing to back it up.

Math…. Ugh! 🌸

🙈😄

😂😂 Poor you, you had it hard, though I think your puppy had it harder 😂🐶.

Today I sow a melt and pour soap making video with flaxseed as an additive and I wanted to try it, so I did.
I added frankincense EO as a fragrance with oud EO and turmeric powder for the color. And while I was at it, I maid a matcha green tea MP soap with frankincense oil and lemon grass EO.
I un mold it just now. Here are the photos

Attachments

• IMG_20230126_215656.jpg
    IMG_20230126_215656.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230126_215646.jpg
    IMG_20230126_215646.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230126_215558.jpg
    IMG_20230126_215558.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230126_215432.jpg
    IMG_20230126_215432.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
I got to make soap today! Made a batch of @Obsidian's salt bars and also my first ever batch of 100% goat tallow soap. The salt bars went phenomenally, the goat tallow. . . . not so much. It accelerated like wild and became the consistency of mash potatoes withing like five seconds of stick blending. I definitely learned a lot since this was actually my first time dealing with acceleration. Hopefully I got it all incorporated and cherry on top would be no major bubbles, but I'll take functional soap over that. I'll make a thread on them both once they are unmolded.

Sorry for my wretchedly yellow lighting. 🙃

Attachments

• IMG_5206.JPG
    IMG_5206.JPG
    7.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5205.JPG
    IMG_5205.JPG
    7.5 MB · Views: 0
I got to make soap today! Made a batch of @Obsidian's salt bars and also my first ever batch of 100% goat tallow soap. The salt bars went phenomenally, the goat tallow. . . . not so much. It accelerated like wild and became the consistency of mash potatoes withing like five seconds of stick blending. I definitely learned a lot since this was actually my first time dealing with acceleration. Hopefully I got it all incorporated and cherry on top would be no major bubbles, but I'll take functional soap over that. I'll make a thread on them both once they are unmolded.

Sorry for my wretchedly yellow lighting. 🙃
Interesting! Did you have a local source for the goat tallow?

Latest posts

Back