What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been lacking motivation to make soap lately. It's been months. But I have the house to myself this weekend and I'm working up to making a turmeric-ginger-honey soap this evening or tomorrow. I'm also going to make some sourdough bread (which I have been unmotivated to make as well!)

I have been lacking motivation to make soap lately. It's been months. But I have the house to myself this weekend and I'm working up to making a turmeric-ginger-honey soap this evening or tomorrow. I'm also going to make some sourdough bread (which I have been unmotivated to make as well!)
Turmeric is one of the infusions I started today, along with paprika and parsley! I can't wait to see your soap!

Last edited:
I made 13 lbs of Ciaglia soap today for the food pantry at a friend’s church, or if they can’t use it all I will take some of it to another nearby pantry. It turned out to be a great way to use up some FOs that have been sitting around gathering dust and try new-to-me color schemes. I still have a lot of shreds left to use in good old-fashioned confetti soap. Now, all I need is a 5 lb loaf mold 😂

Made a BRV soap (double batch). Last year, I inadvertently bought the FO from a supplier that stocks the discolouring version - yes my lovely soap went brown. So I bought some more BRV from a different supplier this time, and split it with the discolouring one to make this batch - I don't want to waste any of the old one you see. I put the non-discolouring one in the white portion of the soap, and the discolouring one in the coloured portion. Fingers crossed! Will cut it in about 5 hours or so.

Made a BRV soap (double batch). Last year, I inadvertently bought the FO from a supplier that stocks the discolouring version - yes my lovely soap went brown. So I bought some more BRV from a different supplier this time, and split it with the discolouring one to make this batch - I don't want to waste any of the old one you see. I put the non-discolouring one in the white portion of the soap, and the discolouring one in the coloured portion. Fingers crossed! Will cut it in about 5 hours or so.
That’s darn smart. @KiwiMoose! My fingers are crossed, too. 🌸

I made 13 lbs of Ciaglia soap today for the food pantry at a friend’s church, or if they can’t use it all I will take some of it to another nearby pantry. It turned out to be a great way to use up some FOs that have been sitting around gathering dust and try new-to-me color schemes. I still have a lot of shreds left to use in good old-fashioned confetti soap. Now, all I need is a 5 lb loaf mold 😂
All those beautiful molds and you don't have a 5lb loaf mold?! 🤣

That’s darn smart. @KiwiMoose! My fingers are crossed, too. 🌸
I cut it last night. I think the 'white' part may still discolour a bit more with cure - but much happier with this lot, that's for sure.
IMG_5832.jpg

Ok, my ginger turmeric soap is in the mold. I was inspired by a turmeric latte mix I had, so I added 2 Tbsp of that to the essential oils. The mix has turmeric, coconut milk powder, coconut sugar, cayenne pepper and black pepper (very small amounts of these.) I used orange, litsea, lemon, lemongrass, ginger, black pepper and patchouli essential oils. I separated out some batter and added more turmeric to it for a darker layer. I did a hanger swirl at pretty light trace. Should be interesting!

I had fun in Walmart today trying to see, out of curiosity, just how many potential soapmaking ingredients I could find in case I ever need something and don't have time to wait on shipping. Thanks to @Zing posting about AC in pill form, I managed to find some! Right next to it, I was surprised to see chlorophyll which I seem to recall reading works as a natural colorant, too! Anybody know if it turns tan later on like I've read that parsley will do?

I think today I'll squeeze in one more CP soap for the month before its time for MP soap. Gotta get back to "work" 🤣

I pulled my soap shred baggies out and have a generous amount, so ciaglia time, perhaps? 👀
I expect 😉... umm hope… for a full report on your experience using shreds for ciaglia. Spent time “studying” this yesterday. 🌸

I expect 😉... umm hope… for a full report on your experience using shreds for ciaglia. Spent time “studying” this yesterday. 🌸

If my lazy self actually gets around to making said batch tonight I'll be sure to write a 5 paragraph essay with a thesis statement and a 12 pt Times New Roman font. I at least made the lye water solution 🤣

It isn't my first rodeo at least, here are my other two:
lime 2.png
apple 2.png

Um... my next batch will be significantly less green. Probably. 🍏💚🥬

Hi all! I have been using my drawer-converted-to- soapmold and it has been working great. Now, I want to divide it up in order to create different loafs in it? I have tried thick cardboard (like the ones lever arch files are made from), but it bends in the middle with the pressure from the batter.
Any ideas from the creative minds here?

Hi all! I have been using my drawer-converted-to- soapmold and it has been working great. Now, I want to divide it up in order to create different loafs in it? I have tried thick cardboard (like the ones lever arch files are made from), but it bends in the middle with the pressure from the batter.
Any ideas from the creative minds here?
yep - another piece of wood down the centre. Make it a tight fit so it stays put.

@basti - love the greens!

A soapy thing from yesterday - I soaped again after months. Not really because I didn't feel like it, but I was struggling to find the time.
So I was really excited to make soap for the January challenge. The plan was 6 layers, sculpted with cardboard scrapers, at first I thought to go unscented but then at the last time I remembered someone recommending a good EO blend in line with my soap theme and went with it. I almost chickened out when starting because it's been a while and I don't have much experience with layers, but I stuck to the plan "just to try" and glad I did.
I missed soaping!

Also, last year I purchased the tutorial on Sculpted Layers from the Soap Making Challenge and for a beginner like me it was priceless. The last time I tried to do layers, I measured and prepped oils and lye solution for each layer separately and it was so time-consuming and needing so much precision I almost vowed never to do layers again lol. The tutorial suggested to prepare masterbatched oils and lye and it just made so much sense! Also just a shout out to anyone who might be interested, the tutorial also includes an excel file that helps calculate the amount of batter for each layer and that was soap-saving (less math for my math challenged self haha). For me this was the key to an almost stress-free soaping session that I really enjoyed!

Finally, when I moved into my new apartment a few months ago I found some distilled water left from the previous tenants, that was immediately declared "for soaping". I used tap water up till now, but I was impressed with how much clearer the lye solution is using distilled water! And no odd lye crusts at the top. I think I'm a convert now.

Last edited:
Yesterday I made it over to Big Lots to get some coconut oil. I remember someone here saying a while ago that that’s where they got theirs, and after doing a little research it’s the cheapest I could find. (Plus no shipping!) I bought three big tubs and the cashier asked me what I was going to do with all that, so we talked a little about soap. 😁 She even gave me $10 off my purchase because I decided to join their club thing (which means more emails, as I’m trying so hard to get fewer! 😱).

Anyway, all that to say that I was pretty excited about finding a good deal on coconut oil. After that i headed over to Publix for some groceries, to include some distilled water as I’m on my last gallon. TWO DOLLARS AND NINETEEN CENTS per gallon!! So much for my savings, lol.

Yesterday I made it over to Big Lots to get some coconut oil. I remember someone here saying a while ago that that’s where they got theirs, and after doing a little research it’s the cheapest I could find. (Plus no shipping!) I bought three big tubs and the cashier asked me what I was going to do with all that, so we talked a little about soap. 😁 She even gave me $10 off my purchase because I decided to join their club thing (which means more emails, as I’m trying so hard to get fewer! 😱).

Anyway, all that to say that I was pretty excited about finding a good deal on coconut oil. After that i headed over to Publix for some groceries, to include some distilled water as I’m on my last gallon. TWO DOLLARS AND NINETEEN CENTS per gallon!! So much for my savings, lol.
I still have about four gallons of Big Lots CO tucked away myself. Such a great price! For the distilled water, I recently invested in a water distiller and two Rubbermaid pitchers (one for the soap room, one for DH’s CPAP machine). Now I’m also making DW for my son-in-law who lives nearby, for his CPAP.

I love it! It only takes 4 hours to make ~1 gallon. I love not wasting all those plastic jugs, or looking at empty shelves when the stores run out (which they do often, ever since the start of the pandemic). And if distilled water keeps increasing in price, the distiller will even pay for itself soon. I’ve already made close to 10 gallons since I got it two months ago.

But even if it never paid for itself, I’d still buy it again for the sheer convenience and for reducing waste.

Back