What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This could be my last batch of deep space/galaxy/nebula soap for a special order, or not, because I still haven’t made one that is exactly right. 😂

12577264-CFE8-4786-8058-12F2B256BB9F.jpeg

This is the largest mold I own - 12 bars - which also makes each batch a workout for someone who rarely uses more than 1000 g of oils.

Last edited:
I've started playing around with designs for my Tree Soap challenge
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/smf-november-2022-trees.89138/
I've ditched the soy for this challenge.
(The lather has a weird, slightly grey, tinge? ... I haven't figured this one out, and it's incredibly faint, but it's there in each [uncoloured] soap recipe I've made with the soy wax so far 🤷‍♀️).

I felt like designing a new recipe anyway, so that's what I did.
(Now all I need to do is be able to duplicate it ... it was a once-off, only it's turned out really well ... are my notes going to be as good? 🤣 )

Hey, I made a one pot wonder yesterday! It'd be fun to see pics of your end result. I'm intrigued by seeing how different traces result in different looks. My trace was fairly fluid, and I definitely got a different look from the other time I tried this design (with a thicker trace, actually the soap in my current avatar).
Here’s the result. Colored with indigo, it’s called Wintermint
6A9328E9-D539-427F-B9EB-1688B6D0889C.jpeg

My soaping thing was shredding up a bunch of older soaps while watching election results. This included a large brown batch in which the lovely mocha scent just didn't last; a plop and glop blue and green batch that was a failed challenge soap awhile back; a bunch of uncolored soaps; a batch of shave soap that I like but don't love; and some random end cuts. I started with using the box grater, with my cut glove to save the knuckles. This was fine for the softer dual lye shave soap - the light tan stuff. After grating a few of the harder bars by hand, I switched to my 13-cup Breville food processor. and it was all done in no time. Will post over in the Bath & Body thing thread about my plans for these.

Soap Scraps.jpg

This could be my last batch of deep space/galaxy/nebula soap for a special order, or not, because I still haven’t made one that is exactly right. 😂

View attachment 69449

This is the largest mold I own - 12 bars - which also makes each batch a workout for someone who rarely uses more than 1000 g of oils.
I’m super happy with how the bars look after cutting up this slab, but I ended up with some air holes on the surface. I’m thinking about trying to pipette some EcoGlitter in clear M& P into the holes. Is that a crazy idea?

@Mobjack Bay we will need some pictures in order to evaluate your question. ;)

Seriously, I'm sure that would work. I've also used Tree Marie's trick of "spackling" the holes with the bevelings.
I’m thinking a little sparkle would be nice ✨ I’m the worst at taking photos, but thinking it has to happen this weekend because I have a serious backlog stretching all the way back to the summer 🧼🧼🧼🧼

I fondled turned 100 bars of curing soap and boxed one cured batch.

I re-worked a honey, beeswax, oatmeal soap. My first attempt was not successful and this time I'm using a much smaller amount. I intended to make soap today but neglected to pull out oils and butters from fridge so it'll be tomorrow.

Mrs. Zing made a pickle-bucket sized batch of homemade laundry detergent.

I made soap today! It was Take 2 on my honey/oats/beeswax recipe. I learned from all the drama of Take 1. This time I made a small batch. I still added the honey to the lye solution but very, very slowly. Last time I dumped it all in at once and the lye solution went foof! and turned this dark tomato-juice liquid. Today it was slightly orange but you could still see through it -- kinda like the light yellow with white sugar. Scented with orange 10X and cedarwood. I'm sadly out of my new fave, patchouli.

I did stir by hand for 40 minutes. That is for the birds. Will definitely put my stick blender to use next time. I followed @IrishLass 's tutorial and her recipe gets to trace in only 10 minutes.

I made the first batch of little soaps that my daughter In Nicaragua asked me to make for her students. They’re bright yellow and smell so good……but as I was sitting on a plane to Austin tonight, I realized I forgot to add sorbitol and sodium lactate! 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️ They’re sitting in the molds now and I won’t be home until Friday, so hopefully by then they’ll be hard enough to unmold! I might have to freeze them. Hopefully they’ll lather ok w/o any added sugar. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I made the first batch of little soaps that my daughter In Nicaragua asked me to make for her students. They’re bright yellow and smell so good……but as I was sitting on a plane to Austin tonight, I realized I forgot to add sorbitol and sodium lactate! 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️ They’re sitting in the molds now and I won’t be home until Friday, so hopefully by then they’ll be hard enough to unmold! I might have to freeze them. Hopefully they’ll lather ok w/o any added sugar. 🤷🏻‍♀️
Hi I'm curious what's sorbitol and what is it used for in 🧼 soap.

Back