What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I ran out of dish detergent, so I pulled out the ancient coconut/KOH taffy to dilute (added a dash of local eucalyptus EO and did my dishes 😅) ... the paste so old that I have forgotten when I made it (maybe a decade ago?) ... it's gone almost completely clear, with little flecks of stearic/palmitic, and it stretches a little like soft toffee.

I'd forgotten how much I like the smell of pure coconut soap (the smell reminds me of being a child 😊)

I cut my beer soap expecting a dark brown bar as the batter was very dark, only to find the whole thing is a light creamy tan! I didn't expect that. I wonder if it went tan because of the high lard content? Or do you have to add colorant to keep the batter dark?

I cut my beer soap expecting a dark brown bar as the batter was very dark, only to find the whole thing is a light creamy tan! I didn't expect that. I wonder if it went tan because of the high lard content? Or do you have to add colorant to keep the batter dark?
I’ve only gotten a tan from beer soap unless I add colorants. 😊

I am soooo excited today!!! Today my first batch is FINALLY ready to try! That was the longest 6 weeks of my life - lol. I have been dying to see how any of my batches came out, as you can imagine. I used a bar tonight for the very first time, and I loved it! Woo Hoo! I have 2 friends that are each getting a bar tomorrow with a QR code to a surverymonkey to give me their honest feedback.

I think my next batches look better, but these are Batch 1 - my very first ever CP soap….

Goat Milk Soap
We've been trying to find a way to get unbiased feedback from our friends & family and your mention of surveymonkey just fixed our little dilemma. Thank you!

Ummm, so not to pry, but exactly why is he an EX then? 🤣

JK and no need to explain. My ex also used to send nice Christmas gifts to me and to my husband. It was great for our daughter to see her parents getting along with each other after they finally grew up. ;)
Lol we are definitely better people not together. But we have 4 kids, the younger ones are 8 and 10. We co-parent well and always get each other nice gifts for birthdays and Christmas because it's from the kids too. We don't even have gifts from Mom or Dad, it's all from both of us and we split the cost.

Lol we are definitely better people not together. But we have 4 kids, the younger ones are 8 and 10. We co-parent well and always get each other nice gifts for birthdays and Christmas because it's from the kids too. We don't even have gifts from Mom or Dad, it's all from both of us and we split the cost.
I love that you and your ex can do that!

I am waiting for my second batch ever to harden...going on 48 hours. I can see how addicting this could be though.

when you wash stuff, don;t you just do it right away or is it better to wait?
I do both and I hate wasting my soap I am water to you know that tiny bit of left over soap and pour it on the dish pan or on dirty dishes and wash my dishes with it. That way there is no waste of my hard work. If soap liquid soap spills when I am transferring it to a bottle I wipe it up with.... yes my dish rag and wash dishes with that too.

Zany_in_CO said:
Check out @DeeAnna 's Soapy Stuff - Citric Acid.

I love citric acid and citric juice in my dish soap I make mine is dual lye and it is the best dish soap it "CUTS" grease so well

I explain to customers:
"you know those black and clear plastic containers you get as take out (will post a picture of it), although I hate plastic I do not give my China out to people (especially not my favor color PURPLE) so I use those when I have some (if my husband did not throw them out SMH)
Well if you every try to wash them the grease seems to always be left in them . Not with this soap. With my citric acid dish soap it cuts the grease soooo well yes so happy about that too.

Attachments

• Clear Plastic Hinged Containers.jpg
    Clear Plastic Hinged Containers.jpg
    534.5 KB · Views: 0
I made oatmeal, milk, and honey soap Friday. I used powdered nonfat dry milk (I know I should use full fat, but I wanted to try this), Aveeno colloidal oats, and local raw honey. I scented it with equal parts WSP Oatmeal, Milk, and Honey II, Dulce Caramello, and Fresh Vanilla. I knew it'd get dark from the vanillin, but I'm surprised at how dark it's gotten! The first picture is when it was first cut, the second is what is looks like tonight.

I really need to figure a good way to take decent pictures in the house!
IMG_20221022_123337887.jpg

IMG_20221025_210554676.jpg

This morning I cut some MP loaves :)

rainbow1.png
beach2.png
harvest_moon.png

I also stamped some of my more recent soaps. I saw a video where a soapmaker used a libraryesque date stamp on the bottom of their soap at the end of the video and I've been thinking about it ever since. I think its simple, yet charming.

New_Canvas7.png

I'm gonna make another batch of MP tonight (just two more and then I'm done for the month) and maybe make some ice for my next batch of CP, which I'll probably do this weekend.

This morning I cut some MP loaves :)

rainbow1.png
beach2.png
harvest_moon.png

I also stamped some of my more recent soaps. I saw a video where a soapmaker used a libraryesque date stamp on the bottom of their soap at the end of the video and I've been thinking about it ever since. I think its simple, yet charming.

New_Canvas7.png

I'm gonna make another batch of MP tonight (just two more and then I'm done for the month) and maybe make some ice for my next batch of CP, which I'll probably do this weekend.
FANTASTIC ocean soap!!

I got a great start to my day! A friend recently celebrated a milestone birthday and, surprise, she got a gift of my soap and lotion bars. Today she sent a photo of the products and a text, "Love this stuff!! Do you know how much joy you bring people? Have you fully appreciated yourself?"
I guess this post is kinda braggy, sorry, but it's nice to hear this. Here's what I get a kick out of, though. People go bonkers over my lotion bars -- and they are so simple and easy to make! Three ingredients, melt, pour, apply! Have a good weekend,
Ok, I need your recipe! I want something new to add to my repetoire!

Ok, I need your recipe! I want something new to add to my repetoire!
Super easy. Don't blink, you might miss it. By weight, 1/3 each of a butter, an oil, and beeswax. I also add an essential oil at 1% and vitamin E oil at 1%.

Melt and pour! Wait a couple hours. Too oily? Re-melt and add more beeswax. Too hard? Re-melt and add more oil. Near instant gratification for this impatient soaper.

I like mango butter for the butter. For the oil, I like jojoba, mmmmmmeadowfoam seed oil, sweet almond oil, any oil that is light and absorbs quickly. The most popular essential oils are lavender or clove (singly, not blended).

The molds I use are the cake pop molds, large bullet shapes.

Super easy. Don't blink, you might miss it. By weight, 1/3 each of a butter, an oil, and beeswax. I also add an essential oil at 1% and vitamin E oil at 1%.

Melt and pour! Wait a couple hours. Too oily? Re-melt and add more beeswax. Too hard? Re-melt and add more oil. Near instant gratification for this impatient soaper.

I like mango butter for the butter. For the oil, I like jojoba, mmmmmmeadowfoam seed oil, sweet almond oil, any oil that is light and absorbs quickly. The most popular essential oils are lavender or clove (singly, not blended).

Thank you! Simple and easy are exactly what I’m after!

Aw thanks, Zing! Do these have to cure up at all like CP soap, or are they more or less ready to use once set? I can't wait to try this!

Back