What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did not do much today, except scroll Pinterest for soap color inspiration for my brothers requested patchouli cedarwood FO soap which I plan to make this weekend. I got my second Shingles shot yesterday and felt like I got hit by a bus all day. Even came home from work early because of it…

If anyone has some color suggestions for this soap, I’d love to hear your thoughts. 🌸

Spring Clean sounds nice, @Zing 😊

I am back at it! I've made 5 different batches of soap in the last couple of weeks: pumpkin spice, fall forest, spicy chai, mountain spice and rosemary mint. The rosemary mint batch got terrible silicone rash, but only in one of the loaf molds (I use 2 per batch.) I've had a little bit of silicone rash here and there, but never to this extent. Why only in one mold? Who knows. I can trim most of it off.

I’m back in my beloved Texas this week for work, and yesterday we went to my even more beloved H-E-B to pick up a few things. They’ve always had a baking section with silicone mini-cake molds, and yesterday I got this one!

Attachments

• D7AE65C3-C60D-4720-AF30-682BB71208AD.jpeg
    D7AE65C3-C60D-4720-AF30-682BB71208AD.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
The good news is I masterbatched lye solution and oils mixture. This weekend I've gotta get going on a special Christmas order. The bad news is I unmolded and cut yesterday's double batch to discover my first batch with stearic spots. It's late and I have no energy to research it. Mrs. Zing says they're beautiful. Good night!

The good news is I masterbatched lye solution and oils mixture. This weekend I've gotta get going on a special Christmas order. The bad news is I unmolded and cut yesterday's double batch to discover my first batch with stearic spots. It's late and I have no energy to research it. Mrs. Zing says they're beautiful. Good night!
Always trust Mrs. Zing.

While shopping around to restock my cocoa butter, an effort was made to "save money." Which means the order needed to be, cómo se dice? "upsized" to qualify for free shipping. 😜

Oh well. I've been wanting to try broccoli seed oil... and restock a particular FO ... and get some more argan and babassu oils ... and... well, you get the picture. 😁

I soaped today, finished phase 2 of 2. So stressful because it's a special order. Since getting stearic spots last week, I was paraonid and soaped too warm and everything went to thick trace quickly. I yelled for requested Mrs. Zing to assist with her frosting skills. Everything's warm and gellin' under wraps but it's gonna be a l o n g 24 hours til unmolding.
Oh, using my new multi-plane cutter -- lookin' at you, you know who -- was easy peasy! So psyched about my new toy!!
Lovin' the peppermint eo and benzoin resinoid combo!

Last edited:
I made 2 batches today. The first one I did 2 blues and TD with Winter Wonderland FO, and the second I split in half and made 2 different types: black and 2 blues with cool water FO, and red and 2 browns with patchouli cedarwood. All in the fridge now since they are all made with goats milk. Pictures in a few days in the photo thread. 🌸

Yes. At the point you realize "your baby" is capable of doing its own thing -- as long as you allow it to do so.
It takes time. Patience, Grasshopper. :videovisit:
I've made 100s of batches and can hardly wait to cut into each new one. It's still exciting every time. That's why I love making soap!
I've been working on patience for nearly 70 years, so I'm not too optimistic on that front!

So I'm just wondering what stages everyone's at. :) I'm a curious little cat, I am.

For myself, I'm waiting for my most recent batch of bar soap to firm up (trying to give it 24 hours before I even touch it, since the soapcalc numbers put it just shy of the 'ideal' hardness range). In addition I fiddled around with the liquid soap I made yesterday (a good chunk of it didn't dissolved, and I was seeing if that was because there wasn't enough water to dilute it all... sure enough that was the problem so it was diluted and added to the bottle holding the rest of it).

And right now I have a tea going that will eventually be strained and frozen, to be used when I make my shampoo bar. Still need to get to my aunt's to pick her citrus trees... But at least I can have the liquid ready to go! I measured out 1/2 oz of dried marshmallow root, 1 1/2 cups water (both weighed to the gram), and then for kicks I tossed in one bag each of Bigelow's Chammomile Lemon and I Love Lemon teas. I'm going to be infusing both chamomile and lemon into the oils, and needed to use the teas anyways (and I don't drink tea). Win-win, right? I might not need all of the tea for the shampoo bar (I'll only be using about 500g oils after all), but at least I'll have it done. :)
I’ve been recently experimenting with natural colors and I used a little bit of bronze Mica in my last two batches of Cold pressed Vanilla Sandalwood!

Attachments

• B8A3CC9D-2844-4786-BE4F-350EC0E63E8A.jpeg
    B8A3CC9D-2844-4786-BE4F-350EC0E63E8A.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
Back