What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sold at an all-day too long market yesterday. I did okay but the afternoon dragged. Most customers were great, but I am always surprised by people who look at my products and comment to each other “oh look they have…” I get that instinct but I always want to say “what ‘they’? It’s just me. I’m standing right here.”
Yesterday two women were doing the same thing, I tried to greet them but they just treated me like I wasn’t there. They were looking at my shampoo bars and one said “oh look they have shampoo bars, have you ever tried these?” and the other woman replied snarkily “no I’m not a survivalist…” Then they sashayed off. Uhh… okay bye ladies. 🙄

Out of the bottle, I prefer BB's as an Oatmeal Milk and Honey Fragrance. I do love NS's but to me it smells more like homemade frangipane (custard + almond cream), which is one of my all time favourite small in the world but not what I'm after here.
I gave the soaps a sniff yesterday and the BB batches kind of smell like nothing, although I've had experience with one of my earlier batches where I couldn't smell anything for a while and then it bloomed. Now the question is whether the smell is absent because of the reduced rate at 1.95% vs the old 3% or if it will bloom later. We shall see.
For the NS batches, at the moment it's a "it smells nice but nothing exceptional" result.
I'm reserving judgement until the end of cure and the first highly scientific test of using them one after the other and deciding if I like it or not :D
So, I have now reviewed my tests using Brambleberry's Oatmeal Milk Honey at 1.95% and Nurture Soap's Oatmeal Milk Honey at 3%.
And the results can be summarised using a single onomatopoeia: meh.
The Brambleberry one is ok-ish, the smell is very mild (well duh, it's at 1.95% instead of the old 3%). It's there, but way too mild in my opinion.
The Nurture Soap one is... is gone. There's almost no smell in that soap. I did use the right amount for 3%, it just disappeared.
I am now officially looking for another OMH fragrance oil, if anyone has recommendations for one that can be found in Europe / the UK? Ideally "kind of like Brambleberry's OMH but with an IFRA 49/50 usage rate at a minimum of 3%" (I do realise that it is like asking for a gift-wrapped unicorn but who knows!)

Not exactly today… but within a few days 😊

He's determined to do everything I do, so I have to kitty proof EVERYTHING and think several steps ahead of him.

View attachment 68564 🤣😱😻
(No "helpers" harmed here; sewing stops if he gets close)
Aren’t cats the best? I have a dog too, but there’s a special something about cats…

I cut my newest soap this AM. Sweet Orange. I have been trying to duplicate a scent of a soap my son bought for me as a gift when he was on an eighth grade field trip to Amish country. He’s now a senior in high school! It was the most lovely sweet orange scent I’ve ever smelled almost like candy that you wanted to take a bite of. It was the beginning of my soap making journey. I searched far and wide and never found a fragrance oil that matched it. Until now…. I blended my own. 50/50 Blood Orange (WSP) and Tangerine (Candles and Supplies) with a dash of Vanilla Noel (NG). I’m in looooooove! Pic in photo gallery!
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/sweet-orange-finally.88703/
I just tried orange patchouli in my turmeric honey soap and really like it! I started with NG orange patchouli, but it seemed pretty mild so I added BS orange blossom and WSP patchouli, with a tiny dash of WSP vanilla Blossom. By the end of it I should just make my own blend huh?

Attachments

• 1D70CF7B-9979-4AA4-9D24-D4F2D03331E3.jpeg
    1D70CF7B-9979-4AA4-9D24-D4F2D03331E3.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 6D61CE76-84AD-4B7E-A9C7-9AD6D80D35B8.jpeg
    6D61CE76-84AD-4B7E-A9C7-9AD6D80D35B8.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • D9E35AB0-8C1F-49E6-BA67-D842C0B75372.jpeg
    D9E35AB0-8C1F-49E6-BA67-D842C0B75372.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 1662904396927.png
    1662904396927.png
    118.3 KB · Views: 0
I just tried orange patchouli in my turmeric honey soap and really like it! I started with NG orange patchouli, but it seemed pretty mild so I added BS orange blossom and WSP patchouli, with a tiny dash of WSP vanilla Blossom. By the end of it I should just make my own blend huh?
Sounds lovely. I love orange patchouli. I use Nurtures and I really like it. Strong and sticks.

Not exactly a soapy thing. Making lemon cupcakes with lavender buttercream frosting for this weeks Bunco group. The massive bag of dried lavender I bought at the beginning of my soapy venture finally had some use. Made a simple syrup with the lavender. Then proceeded to go down a lavender rabbit hole and made some sugar infused lavender to make lavender shortbread to go on top of the cupcakes.

Other than that, no motivation to make soap. Too hot and humid in my garage.

Not exactly a soapy thing. Making lemon cupcakes with lavender buttercream frosting for this weeks Bunco group. The massive bag of dried lavender I bought at the beginning of my soapy venture finally had some use. Made a simple syrup with the lavender. Then proceeded to go down a lavender rabbit hole and made some sugar infused lavender to make lavender shortbread to go on top of the cupcakes.

Other than that, no motivation to make soap. Too hot and humid in my garage.
Sounds yummy! Can you share the recipe?

Sounds yummy! Can you share the recipe?
Sure! This is the recipe I'll be using for the cupcakes: Lemon Cake

I'll be making a swiss meringue buttercream for the frosting. Add a teaspoon of lavender to the sugar/egg white "cook" step. Then strain the lavender out before whipping. Then add a light sprinkling of lavender after everything is assembled. For the shortbread use any favorite shortbread recipe. You can either infuse the sugar beforehand, or add lavender to the actual recipe. Or both. To infuse sugar with lavender, add a cup of lavender into the bowl of a food processed, along with a tablespoon of lavender buds. Give it a good whirr. Store in an airtight container. You can sift out the buds or leave in.

I had a blast making soap this weekend. Yesterday I made soap for this month’s hybrid (CP and MP) soap challenge using a fairly bizarre method and love how it turned out. I also made a loaf with an impression mat I bought two years or so ago and had never used because of some bizarre fear of cutting the mat and ruining it. We both survived! Today I made some tiny fish using molds I recently found at JoAnn’s. I’ve been looking for anatomically correct salt water fish molds for three years now (😂 yes, that’s what a marine scientist who also makes soap does in her spare time) and found them by chance when I went in to buy fabric and then realized the store had a fondant section. I also made a somewhat strangely patterned swirled soap using a large diameter spoon handle instead of a chopstick. I‘ve seen it work well for others, but my trace may have been just a tad too far along.

Just got back from a short Vegas vacation for our 30 year anniversary. Saw Aerosmith and had a blast. Got home with enough time to do the laundry and watch Top Gun Maverick, which we really enjoyed.
My soapy thing was to start my Soap Notes Journal. Got a cute spiral notebook at TJ Maxx last weekend. I took pics of the bars I have curing to go on the page next to my notes. 🌸

Got home from vacation a couple days ago and still haven't had a chance to get any soaps made. I did deliver some soaps to a friend that owns a salon and asked to carry them. He's excited and has been hyping them with his large following, so I'm crossing fingers as I plan larger batches for the holidays.

After a few years full of various life challenges, I finally got back to soaping and picked up a slab mold and splitter. I've really missed soaping, but also missed being here at the forums. You all provide so much knowledge and inspiration.
Moving on, we poured into the new mold last night for the first time. Made with Palm, Almond, Coconut, Castor, and Shea. Pot swirled with green purple clay, scented with Lavender EO. Hoping it's ready to split and cut tonight. Will post pictures, promise.
Also ordered some pull swirls (due to arrive this Sunday) to use in our cylinder molds. I think my first pull with be a red and white peppermint soap.

Attachments

• LavenderSoapSlab.jpg
    LavenderSoapSlab.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back