What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I unmolded a couple of soaps that I made over the weekend (well, ok, I unmolded them a couple of days ago). The orange ones are for my husband - the only soap heā€™s interested in using is the stuff I make with orange and patchouli EOs (any Auburn fans in here? šŸ˜). I split the batch because I wanted to try some new EOs, litsea cubea and distilled lime. i also tried a new mold for the lemon-lime ones, that my kids got me for my birthday. And just because I could, I played with glitter on a few of them. šŸ¤©

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
We are an Auburn family (mostly). My husband is an AU fan, and so are my kids. I'm an LSU fan, but Auburn is my 2nd favorite team...

My soapy thing for today is realizing I'm perilously low on soap. I was already low when my my mom asked for 8 bars for her quilt club meeting, and they needed some more bars as they were out at their house. Dropping oldest son off at college Friday, and the replenishing will begin. Good thing I stocked up at the WSP sale...

Last night I made rice for dinner (just water and rice, nothing else). After leaving the rice pot soaking off to the side, by this morning, all the sticky rice grains were nice and swollen, and easy to strain out of the soaking liquid. After a quick SB-blitz with some distilled water, I strained off the solids, leaving me with nice white rice milk.

My rice milk is now waiting in the fridge for me to make some of @Dawni's Triple Rice Soap. I've only made it unscented before. This batch will be scented and set aside to cure for an upcoming market. Haven't decided on the FO yet...
Just blended black rice into rice milk; I'm curious to see how the color changes in soap! I'll have to look for @Dawni 's triple rice recipe (took this photo before straining). It's burgundy like my cabinets. šŸ˜‚
B1C44479-CAFE-45C8-B282-0479174A3975.jpeg

Yesterday, in the early morning hours I bought a train tix to San Antonio, TX. I leave Wisconsin on the 2nd of Sept. So now I'm sort of frantically packing for what I'm taking with me, what I'm leaving for picking up later, but most importantly, doing prep for a big soaping extravaganza to use up as much of my materials as possible. šŸ„³šŸ§¼ Three are jars infusing in pots, purees freezing, and scales, molds, and *ahem* unwashed utensils waiting in line to get ready for prepping emulsions.
So much soap, so little time! What's a girl to do! šŸ¤· šŸ›

We are an Auburn family (mostly). My husband is an AU fan, and so are my kids. I'm an LSU fan, but Auburn is my 2nd favorite team....
My husband graduated from Auburn, so Iā€™m all in, even as painful as they like to make football season. šŸ˜­ šŸ˜‚

@Iluminameluna I moved away from San Antonio almost a year ago. I still miss it! Enjoy being there, and enjoy your soapapalooza!

This morning I received the parcel from a soapmaking supplier: some moulds, pH test strips and a small bottle of FO.
The parcel did feel strangely light ... The primary reason for my order was I'd run out of NaOH. I also did not like the packaging of my former supplier so I made some investigation on the internet: package types, size, prices, I also looked for a safety data sheet for two suppliers, shipping conditions etc. Then ordered and waited happily for two days ...
Now the parcel was in fact light because I had not ordered the NaOH. So preoccupied with everything else that I forgot to order NaOH grrrr!!!
I immediately placed another order, starting with the NaOH this time. Of course I just had to add a few more bits and pieces.
The waiting time will be longer this time, Monday 15 August, the feast of the Assumption is a bank holiday in Slovenia.

My sister is visiting for the first time since COVID. We made soap together! I thought teaching someone how to make soap would be fun. It wasn't. It was stressful!
I taught three of my oldest friends (from summer camp) how to make soap and found myself scolding ā€œGIRLS! This is VERY DANGEROUS!ā€œ Yes. Stressful.

I taught three of my oldest friends (from summer camp) how to make soap and found myself scolding ā€œGIRLS! This is VERY DANGEROUS!ā€œ Yes. Stressful.
I have to agree with that! The first class that I did, one mom asked to bring her 12yo daughter and the daughter's best friend. She assured me they were "very responsible - not silly like most 12yo girls." I reluctantly agreed that the mom could work together with them to share a crock. I emphasized that she needed to supervise them carefully as I would be busy working with the entire class. "No problem!" she assured me.

HAH! I had everything measured out, included the oil, and the pre-mixed lye solution. I went into great detail about the need to pour carefully, and stir carefully, to avoid splashes. I can still see the two girls with their faces right in the crockpot, gleefully dumping in the lye solution in one big splash. Immediately I was by their sides and explaining again that they needed to move slowly, no splashing, because it was dangerous. I reminded their mom to watch and make sure they were following instructions. She agreed.

As soon as I stepped away, the girls took turns with the spatula and stickblender, whirring them around the crock recklessly, raising them up in the air to shake off the batter into the bowl, and generally doing everything dangerous you can think of that. At that point, I made them give the spatula and stickblender to the mom, and told them they could only watch from then on. They became very sulky, muttering to each other behind their hands the rest of the time. However, the ladies on either side and across from them had palpable relief on their faces.

After that, NO MORE TEENAGERS IN SOAP CLASSES.

We won't talk about teaching kids to drive :eek:
I was okay with teaching my eldest son to drive, but turned over driving lessons for my granddaughter to my husband.

What I could not handle was teaching my sons how to ride a bike. That was something I gave to my brothers. It was just too hard for me to watch.
My husband graduated from Auburn, so Iā€™m all in, even as painful as they like to make football season. šŸ˜­ šŸ˜‚

@Iluminameluna I moved away from San Antonio almost a year ago. I still miss it! Enjoy being there, and enjoy your soapapalooza!
Loved San Antonio! If I were to make a permanent move to Texas, I'd want it to be in San Antonio. It's my favorite Texas city, although I do also really like The Woodlands. And my favorite doctor is in San Antonio and I go back periodically for check-ups. Plus Kitty Baby adopted me while living in San Antonio, and because she's a Texas cat, I like taking her back to visit her old stomping grounds.
After that, NO MORE TEENAGERS IN SOAP CLASSES.
OMG, how scary! I am surprised you even agreed in the first place, but what was wrong with that mom not taking charge? I guess she didn't really understand the power of lye or she would not have let them do that. Seriously, it's like they need some kind of scare tactics like the movies they showed us in Driver's Ed when I was in High School. I know they don't do that anymore because they don't do Driver's Ed in High School anymore here in the U.S. (with the exception of perhaps only one school district in California), but if you're old enough, you know what I mean.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

My soapy thing today: Cutting soap. Probably not all of it, but at least some bars so far & I do plan to cut a slap into logs. Once I have logs, I'll decide if cutting into bars today is the way to go or if to wait.

@earlene it was a lesson learned, for sure. I have one friend who has made soap with me. She wants to come over again to have another lesson, but this time with her 13yo daughter, who she believes is "very mature." Friends around her have tried to gently tell her that her daughter is very disrespectful, thinks she is already an equal with adults, and quite bull-headed. Suffice it to say, there is no way that this child will be making soap with me, unless it is melt & pour. I have learned my lesson and still feel grateful that no one was hurt that first time!

@earlene if it wasn't that I was leaving behind my younger son and my grands, I'd be overjoyed about going back to San Antonio! I have really come to love the place. It's more about the climate for me than anything because I don't really get out much no matter where I live. And I have grands waiting for me there as well.
Still, there's something to be said about having a lot more to choose from when it comes to cooking up recipes for soap OR food, both of which are passions of mine.
Speaking of which, I need to mention that my soapy thing today has been a quest for a recipe that's high in both lard and coconut but not drying, and that includes olive oil and cocoa butter. In CP. And I'd like to add citric acid to it but it's not a requirement. I've been querying the forum for a few hours now and reading but I'm not getting very far. Anyone have suggestions?
I have time, though my son's kitchen looks like a tornado's hit because I've unpacked ALL my soaping gear... šŸ˜¬šŸ˜±šŸ§¼

I'm cleaning up my soap curing room (aka guest bedroom) as oldest son commandeered it this summer. He's at college now, so i have my space back. I'm also pulling out fragrance oils I plan to use this week since I plan on making several batches.

I'm cleaning up my soap curing room (aka guest bedroom) as oldest son commandeered it this summer. He's at college now, so i have my space back. I'm also pulling out fragrance oils I plan to use this week since I plan on making several batches.
Ah, your guest room is used the same as I use mine! My brother is coming to visit on Labor Day weekend and every time I walk in, I wonder where Iā€™m going to put my soap and candle goods. šŸ˜

From an Ohio State Buckeyes fan to an LSU fan, we can agree what a great quarterback and guy Joe Burrow is. šŸ‘šŸ»

Ah, your guest room is used the same as I use mine! My brother is coming to visit on Labor Day weekend and every time I walk in, I wonder where Iā€™m going to put my soap and candle goods. šŸ˜

From an Ohio State Buckeyes fan to an LSU fan, we can agree what a great quarterback and guy Joe Burrow is. šŸ‘šŸ»
My mom said I have the best smelling guest bedroom she's ever stayed in.

Yes Joe Burrow is an outstanding QB and a class act. I'm sure I'll be missing him in a month or so...

I had a busy soap making weekend because I wanted to work on a challenge soap and also because Iā€™m determined to get winter soaps done in time for a good cure and the early shoppers. I have one friend who ordered four dozen beer soaps for her beer club and also four dozen bars of my Galaxy soap to give out at work, I made the beer soap, but thereā€™s some serious planning to do before I tackle multiple sessions of making and cleaning up after a ten color galaxy soap. When I checked back to see what photos I have of the process, I found this one of the mess I had after filling a 6ā€ square slab mold šŸ¤£

5D6F5B64-12D9-4168-A8B4-CF361BD4AC92.jpeg
and hereā€™s the smallest container of layered batter ever, in a condiment cup!
83EC5DC2-B7FE-4200-99F1-77A2C95EE96A.jpeg

What soapy thing have I been doing? Not much, but will have a space to sell at a local flea market as soon as I get my inventory inventoried. My life right now is to get healthy again. I was diagnosed with stage 2 Uterine cancer. My surgery date was 4 Aug and I am slowly getting my feet back under me. Post op is the 24th of Aug, that is when we find out what is next. I am enjoying all the posts and photos of soap.

Today is my last day of summer break and I wasnā€™t able to go kayaking so I made two small batches of soap. āœØšŸ§¼Everything went smooth from start to finish, butā€¦ šŸ˜‚ as I was writing down my notes I realized Iā€™d forgotten to weigh out much less use the Pumice for the bergamot lime scrubby soap. šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø

Back