What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@janesathome this is one reason I use a heating pad and an overturned insulated box for my "oven" - and not my kitchen oven. Besides the transfer of the FO to oven, which scent then transfers to subsequent items baked therein 🤮, I am that person who would bake my soap. Every time. Good to know our limitations. :)
I’m usually pretty good at managing just one use for my oven! But the other morning was a bit frantic and I just forgot! So maybe I’d better place myself in your “that person” category, and buy a heating pad! Lord knows I have bought everything else that might be somehow related to soapmaking, in the last 5 months!! Why not a heating pad? And an insulated box … and another cupboard to store all the “soap stuff”…

I miraculously found an ancient but still functional heating pad in the depths of our bathroom cabinets. And I repurposed both an insulated cardboard shipping box, and a styrofoam cooler that were both used to ship stuff to us. Cheap styrofoam cooler thingys can be had from Wally World, the Dollar Store, etc... or just use an overturned Amazon box with a towel over it. ;)

I miraculously found an ancient but still functional heating pad in the depths of our bathroom cabinets. And I repurposed both an insulated cardboard shipping box, and a styrofoam cooler that were both used to ship stuff to us. Cheap styrofoam cooler thingys can be had from Wally World, the Dollar Store, etc... or just use an overturned Amazon box with a towel over it. ;)
@AliOop I “might” have a few Amazon boxes laying around waiting for the moment when I follow through on decluttering intentions! And my old hot water bottle should work in place of a heating pad.
I’m anti styrofoam but I have a few coolers that should do the trick if I ever run out of boxes 🤣🤣.
Thanks for the tips!

@AliOop I “might” have a few Amazon boxes laying around waiting for the moment when I follow through on decluttering intentions! And my old hot water bottle should work in place of a heating pad.
I’m anti styrofoam but I have a few coolers that should do the trick if I ever run out of boxes 🤣🤣.
Thanks for the tips!
We are never at a loss for boxes here, either. ;) And when it's not being used as a soap insulator, your chosen box can be used to hold the heating pad and other soapy stuff. Or break it down so it folds flat and takes up less room. Just ask, I have a few soapy thing storage tricks up my sleeve... ;)

We are never at a loss for boxes here, either. ;) And when it's not being used as a soap insulator, your chosen box can be used to hold the heating pad and other soapy stuff. Or break it down so it folds flat and takes up less room. Just ask, I have a few soapy thing storage tricks up my sleeve... ;)
OK, here’s my biggest question for today - how to SPEND LESS MONEY on soaping/ soaping related items?? I took this up in Feb this year, thinking it would be a fun thing to try while my husband and I were isolating for a few months prior to his surgery. Who knew it would be so much fun? Who knew there would be so many interesting ingredients, tools, accessories??? I’ve had some goodwill scores but seriously - this hobby can get expensive in a hurry if you want to try a whole bunch of recipes and techniques and scents and molds and and and. How does a person just say NO!! ??🤣🤣

OK, here’s my biggest question for today - how to SPEND LESS MONEY on soaping/ soaping related items?? I took this up in Feb this year, thinking it would be a fun thing to try while my husband and I were isolating for a few months prior to his surgery. Who knew it would be so much fun? Who knew there would be so many interesting ingredients, tools, accessories??? I’ve had some goodwill scores but seriously - this hobby can get expensive in a hurry if you want to try a whole bunch of recipes and techniques and scents and molds and and and. How does a person just say NO!! ??🤣🤣
I normally do not speak for others, but in this case I believe I can safely say...."We've been there before." Truly, dollar stores and thrift shops are your friends. After a few years of soaping and lotioning, I now know my preferences and priorities and will periodicially do a de-stash. And I have greatly benefited from other Forum Friends' de-stashing and usually just for the cost of mileage or postage -- like gardeners, soapers are generous folks. Good luck with that whole self-control thang..... Oh, and don't shop online under the influence. So I've been told.. By a friend, yeah, that's it, a friend.

@janesathome “Miss en place” and a printed recipe are absolute requirements in my soap making routine. I’m usually good unless someone wants to have a conversation with me when I’m in the middle of a batch. My approach to keeping costs down was to mostly make small batches (450 g of oil) for almost two years, which was after I made more than a few batches early on that I didn’t love.

My soapy thing for the day was to give my new slab mold a trial run. I’m happy!

I would suggest not hanging out with @dibbles . If you want to know what I mean check out this thread.... 20% off of Everything WSP

I would suggest not hanging out with @dibbles . If you want to know what I mean check out this thread.... 20% off of Everything WSP
I think I'm hurt - all the enabling encouraging is done with love and the best intentions 🤣

How does a person just say NO!! ??🤣🤣
A person runs out of room?

My soapy thing today - washed soapy dishes and make a batch with the much talked about of late Volcano. It soaped beautifully and smells great. I did get interrupted in the middle of weighing oils though. And when my sunflower oil glugged in too fast out of my jug and then I wasn't sure if I tared my scale...ugh. It just goes to show how good of an idea it is to know your container weights. I usually only need to know container weights for splitting batter, but today it saved my batch. I think.

^^apparently not. I'm out of room and STILL bought more fragrance oils. And molds. 🙄

My soapy thing for today was slicing and unmolding a beautiful loaf of soap. Part with coffee grounds and part without. Scented with Blue Mist by WSP. Mmm. Will post pics tomorrow

OK, here’s my biggest question for today - how to SPEND LESS MONEY on soaping/ soaping related items??
What is this "spend less money" of which you speak? I understand the separate words, but not together in that particular order. 🧐

Remember, I was only offering to help with how to hide er hoard, umm, I mean, STORE your stuff more efficiently.

I normally do not speak for others, but in this case I believe I can safely say...."We've been there before."
Been? as in, past tense?

I sold ten pieces of soap today to the farmer where I can occasionaly get sheep tallow. I was very much surprised to hear he wanted ten pieces when I was talking to his wife I was coming on a visit. He then explained all industrially made soap makes his skin itch, also leaving a very unpleasant feeling on the skin after washing. And mine feels very fine. You can believe me this was music to my ears! I mostly sell them tallow+lard soap, with some castor oil or very little coconut oil sometimes. And they were both very interested in the process and chemistry and the change the oils undergo during saponification.
Their farm is at 800+ metres above sea level so the trip was a very pleasant one climate-wise. When I returned home to below 300 m we had 31 deg Celsius.
It was a beautiful soapy day!
P.S. Now I can afford to order business cards I've been planning for some months.

@Ladka congrats on such a sweet affirmation of your soap-making skills.

Today my husband went to lunch with our car mechanic, who, of course, is a frequent recipient of my Mechanic Soap (based on @earlene's Blacksmith Soap). When he came by to pick up my husband, I asked if he needed any more soap. He said no, he still has some left. And then he grinned and said, "Because I don't share it with ANYONE. It's ALL MINE."

Last edited:
Last night I made rice for dinner (just water and rice, nothing else). After leaving the rice pot soaking off to the side, by this morning, all the sticky rice grains were nice and swollen, and easy to strain out of the soaking liquid. After a quick SB-blitz with some distilled water, I strained off the solids, leaving me with nice white rice milk.

My rice milk is now waiting in the fridge for me to make some of @Dawni's Triple Rice Soap. I've only made it unscented before. This batch will be scented and set aside to cure for an upcoming market. Haven't decided on the FO yet...

Last night I made rice for dinner (just water and rice, nothing else). After leaving the rice pot soaking off to the side, by this morning, all the sticky rice grains were nice and swollen, and easy to strain out of the soaking liquid. After a quick SB-blitz with some distilled water, I strained off the solids, leaving me with nice white rice milk.

My rice milk is now waiting in the fridge for me to make some of @Dawni's Triple Rice Soap. I've only made it unscented before. This batch will be scented and set aside to cure for an upcoming market. Haven't decided on the FO yet...
I scented mine (lightly) with Jasmine, only because I'd used Jasmine rice so it just made sense.

Back