What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It didn’t work out for us to go to California to visit my son and DIL this month, so I’m on a vacation dedicated to making as much soap and B&B as I feel like making. So far I’ve used my new soap router, re-batched ugly hp soap using the Ciaglia method, made some ZNSC with a calendula infusion I had sitting around, tried out a new kaleidoscope pull through setup, played with melt and pour soap, and made some test melt and pour shampoo bars. I’m not running out of steam yet, which is good because I still want to make lotion, test melt and pour conditioner, use up some plant-infused colorants and make a wild soap for this month’s kiss pour challenge. 😂

It didn’t work out for us to go to California to visit my son and DIL this month, so I’m on a vacation dedicated to making as much soap and B&B as I feel like making. So far I’ve used my new soap router, re-batched ugly hp soap using the Ciaglia method, made some ZNSC with a calendula infusion I had sitting around, tried out a new kaleidoscope pull through setup, played with melt and pour soap, and made some test melt and pour shampoo bars. I’m not running out of steam yet, which is good because I still want to make lotion, test melt and pour conditioner, use up some plant-infused colorants and make a wild soap for this month’s kiss pour challenge. 😂
I'm excited to see how these turn out.

Gosh, am I the only one doing soapy things today, or are we all just missing the photos? I had an FO accelerate batter I was planning to swirl, which makes 2x, and now it’s on the naughty list. I used the hot, not quite soap-on-a-stick batter to make a hot mess modern art soap and saved all of the scrapings to patch the holes. I recovered from that fiasco by making three small batches of confetti soap.

I sold at a new to me market in a nearby lakeside gated community. I had zero expectations as the market was limited to people with access, and it was on a Friday morning, but the market was amazing! Doing markets has been exhausting, enlightening, and so fulfilling. I really am loving it. I love watching people oooing and ahing and smelling the soap and browsing, and I love the positive feedback I have been getting.

Markets tomorrow and Sunday. Oh and I am working with a local farm to make soap with their tallow and lard for them to sell. They are excited about it and I am too!

I sold at a new to me market in a nearby lakeside gated community. I had zero expectations as the market was limited to people with access, and it was on a Friday morning, but the market was amazing! Doing markets has been exhausting, enlightening, and so fulfilling. I really am loving it. I love watching people oooing and ahing and smelling the soap and browsing, and I love the positive feedback I have been getting.

Markets tomorrow and Sunday. Oh and I am working with a local farm to make soap with their tallow and lard for them to sell. They are excited about it and I am too!
The thought of doing markets overwhelms and exhausts me. I do think it would be fun (I thoroughly enjoy meeting people!!!!!) but it's a whole other rabbit hole I'm not sure I have the headspace for. All the display stuff, the marketing collateral, table cloths, yadda yadda yadda. I could see maybe doing it once a month, but certainly not every weekend. And I understand that some markets can cost a lot to set up a booth.

The thought of doing markets overwhelms and exhausts me. I do think it would be fun (I thoroughly enjoy meeting people!!!!!) but it's a whole other rabbit hole I'm not sure I have the headspace for. All the display stuff, the marketing collateral, table cloths, yadda yadda yadda. I could see maybe doing it once a month, but certainly not every weekend. And I understand that some markets can cost a lot to set up a booth.

Same! I would really like to it with someone else, but I don't know anyone near me sadly. They're probably out there, but yeah... :'D

I’m trying real hard to get back on the hoarse after my soaptastrophe. I’m going to prep some ingredients today, but I have to work my day job. Hopefully tomorrow I can remake my big bi-annual batch of salt soap. Feeling really nervous about it. I think I know what happened, but still…
I understand the feeling. Had a couple, not fails, but not 💯 batches & was actually nervous 😬 making a batch. Which, when I noticed that I was nervous, I chuckled 🤭. Soaping is my happy place, no need for nerves, it’s all soap & fun. So sending good 🧼 energy, you’ll do great! 🤗

I made a soap containing jojoba, coconut oil, palm oil, olive oil and Castor oil. I used Sexy Sandalwood from Crafters Choice for the scent. It is in the mold now. I have been babysitting our great granddaughter for over two years and didn't get much of a chance for soap making. She has a new baby sister; and is staying home with Mom and baby for awhile. I hope to get in more soap making during my vacation.:)

I had big plans to give my new slab mold a try today, but then I decided to go for a bike ride. It was a great idea untill I fell off the bike onto the road at the end of my driveway. For reasons unknown, the front wheel of the bike was rotated 180 deg and I didn’t even notice. It was a major encounter with gravel, but nothing is broken and I was not run over by a pickup truck. I did finally make a small test loaf of indigo-colored soap to compare with the red palm and indigo test soaps I’ve been making as a way to get green without chlorophyll involved.

How did they go? I have a lot of trouble selling mine. Maybe due to the price?
Surprisingly well! About half my sales were shampoo bars (other half was soap). They're more expensive than the soaps, but when I talk with folks and tell them how concentrated they are, they're okay with the price.

I made them in 2 sizes: 3oz "bath" and 1.5 oz "travel". I've done two markets with the bars now, and interestingly I sold only the big bars in the better neighborhood and many travel size in the lower-income neighborhood.

Surprisingly well! About half my sales were shampoo bars (other half was soap). They're more expensive than the soaps, but when I talk with folks and tell them how concentrated they are, they're okay with the price.

I made them in 2 sizes: 3oz "bath" and 1.5 oz "travel". I've done two markets with the bars now, and interestingly I sold only the big bars in the better neighborhood and many travel size in the lower-income neighborhood.
Yes I do similar sizes to yours 70g ($13) and 40g ($5) . I call them regular and 'sample'. I sell the sample ones at just over cost price in an effort to get people to try them.

Latest posts

Back