What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m testing Stephenson’s Syndopour today for shampoo bars. Here’s a sneak peak.

Pink - NS Queen of Hearts mica, scented with BB Wild Rose FO
Lavender - violet ultramarine, scented with lavandin
Green - green and yellow oxides, scented with rosemary and lavandin. Oops, and forgot to mention that I added Provitamin B5 and silk amino acids to the green one after I watched Sunshine Soap and Candle Co. add similar to her bars in a her YT video on using Syndopour.

EC3D5C77-D7F4-4723-8D09-D111AC268555.jpeg

and now I’m just twiddling my thumbs while I patiently wait for them to harden up…

Last edited:
Um, there's this new invention to help with that. It's called a dishwasher machine....
I tried it for soap dishes recently. It did great on a big bunch of silicone molds, the rest of the dishes not so much. In my garage soap space I’ve got a giant work sink. In the sink I put a large plastic tote. That I fill with dishes, a heap of dawn, and then straight hot water. I let it sit until it cools enough for my hands. That seems to be the best way for me to get them clean.

That seems to be the best way for me to get them clean.
I find the best way to get them clean is to skip the Dawn -- you don't need it -- just allow the soap batter remains to saponify on the bowls, spatulas and equipment for a day or two after soaping. Add water and the soapy bits lather up and wash everything -- then ready for the dishwasher. :D :thumbs:

I was thinking about starting a thread for favorite bath bomb mold suppliers. I searched and didn’t find one specifically. Where would be the best place to put that?

I was thinking about starting a thread for favorite bath bomb mold suppliers. I searched and didn’t find one specifically. Where would be the best place to put that?
Shopping Recommendations - adding the country they are in, as smf is worldwide.

I’m testing Stephenson’s Syndopour today for shampoo bars. Here’s a sneak peak.

Pink - NS Queen of Hearts mica, scented with BB Wild Rose FO
Lavender - violet ultramarine, scented with lavandin
Green - green and yellow oxides, scented with rosemary and lavandin. Oops, and forgot to mention that I added Provitamin B5 and silk amino acids to the green one after I watched Sunshine Soap and Candle Co. add similar to her bars in a her YT video on using Syndopour.

View attachment 67425

and now I’m just twiddling my thumbs while I patiently wait for them to harden up…

Oooooooh…twiddling MY thumbs waiting to hear your review! 😁😁😁

I finally have a soapy thing to report but it’s not a good one! I hadn’t made soap in almost 2 months. A lot of heartbreaking personal stuff getting in the way and I kind of lost my mojo. But a couple days ago I decided to get back to what I love. I used a fragrance oil that I had never used before but I bought a while ago at candles and supplies which is about an hour and a half from me. I love going there because I can sniff all the fragrance oils before I buy. I usually ask them how each oil behaves in soap as there aren’t any notes on their websites and very few fragrances have reviews. Well I guess I must not have asked about this particular one because after 359 batches of soap I had my first soap on a stick. I was sooooooo bummed. Fortunately I had portioned off a third of the batter for the first layer when it happened. I used the advice I’ve read here and let it sit in the pot until it started getting very hot and gel and smashed it into some cavity molds. It’s going to be for personal use because it is ugly. Saved the rest of the batch and used a different fragrance, mold and design. It certainly wasn’t a fun way to get back after my hiatus, but I guess it is in some way a right of passage and I was lucky to have gone this far before I experienced it. Fragrance is Tobacco Oud and it smells heavenly. Is has now been moved to the naughty shelf and will be designated for candles as I’m just starting to dip my feet in that world. Here’s the pic seconds after I added the FO. 😱

Attachments

• 4E29B9A2-D8DC-4002-A2DA-F3284D26EB45.jpeg
    4E29B9A2-D8DC-4002-A2DA-F3284D26EB45.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 0
@Jersey Girl that is crazy! That’s exactly what my soap looked like with Goat Milk & Shea. After it started to gel, I put it in the mold. Then it separated. Tried SB’ing in the mold, but it separated again. Ended up having to HP it, because no FO is allowed to do me like that. It WILL submit! 😆😅😂

Besides candles, maybe think about trying it in a lotion, too. I mean, don’t you want another hobby to eat up your life savings while stressing you out to relax and enjoy? 😀

@AliOop Yes! Yes! Yes! Lotions have been on my list for a looooong time. I have collected most everything I need but why am I so intimidated by it! Can’t seem to get the confidence up to jump in. Swiftcraftymonkey site makes my head spin there’s so much info on it.You have inspired me to start a post in the Bath and Body Forum. I need some advice and feedback!

@AliOop Yes! Yes! Yes! Lotions have been on my list for a looooong time. I have collected most everything I need but why am I so intimidated by it! Can’t seem to get the confidence up to jump in. Swiftcraftymonkey site makes my head spin there’s so much info on it.You have inspired me to start a post in the Bath and Body Forum. I need some advice and feedback!
Swifty Crafty Monkey has so much great information, but it is so scattered and very difficult to find a how-to. I recommend starting with a HumbleBee & Me recipe, or buy the DIY Bath & Body lotion base recipe from Etsy. Much more straightforward! Once you try it, you will love it!

I made my very first lotion from a WSP kit. I just followed the directions and lotion happened. Over three years later, I still use a modification of the recipe to make my colloidal oatmeal lotion. As I recall, the kit made something like 8 or 10 eight ounce bottles, which was great for the price, but the scent was way too strong for me and I gave it all away. With a little more confidence, my second project was one of Humblebee & Me’s face cream recipes. I had been buying a Clinique product for sensitive skin and then they replaced it with another product that I didn’t like nearly as much, especially not for $50 an ounce or something like that. I’m not looking for miracles and like the face cream recipe enough to have made only minor tweaks. I think the key things to learn about are how to sanitize everything properly; heat and hold concept; phase concept so that you don’t destroy heat sensitive ingredients, especially the preservatives; and which preservatives to use for what you’re making. I don’t love making lotion and face cream, but I love what I make. I also love that I’m not spending $$$ for a tiny container of face cream. You can do it!

I love soapy saponification science. Made my 4th and final INS160 soap batch. Each batch made using same water/lye concentration & SF but with different oils. However each batch had almost matching % of CO (18-20%) & castor (5%). Once they have all cured at least 4 weeks, my plan is to “test” them for likeness & differences. No particular reason, just 🧼 fun 🤩!

I love soapy saponification science. Made my 4th and final INS160 soap batch. Each batch made using same water/lye concentration & SF but with different oils. However each batch had almost matching % of CO (18-20%) & castor (5%). Once they have all cured at least 4 weeks, my plan is to “test” them for likeness & differences. No particular reason, just 🧼 fun 🤩!
You sound like some sort of addicted soaping weirdo...oh wait...! :D

Back