What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, I’ve used the search function, can’t find. What is the name of the book of labeling laws?

Marie Gale has a website that is extremely informative and she answers questions.

https://www.mariegale.com/
This is her newest book: New Book! Navigating the Rules & Regs - Marie Gale

25% off to HSCG members: Navigating the Rules & Regs: A Practical Guide for Soap & Cosmetic Handcrafters

Thank you. I wiped them out pretty well. I rarely use my dishwasher, I forget I have it.
What are these words you use "rarely use my dishwasher, forget I have it"??!! I'm just poking good fun at you, @TashaBird ! :)

For decades, my wife and I had the human kind of dish washers. When we built our kitchen (for those who forget my drama, we bought a house WITHOUT A KITCHEN and then 4 COVID refugees moved in during the lockdown 🤪 ) we got our very first dishwasher machine and LOVE IT!! We're livin' like kings, baby! Especially when it comes to the soap dishes!!

I'm with you TashaBird. I rarely use my dishwasher either. I hand wash everything. Sometimes I put things into the dishwasher simply to dry. I probably only run a full cycle twice per year, if that much. I just prefer hand washing.

Even when we stay at our timeshares, I handwash & only use dishwashers for drying dishes.

Thank you. I wiped them out pretty well. I rarely use my dishwasher, I forget I have it. Would horrible things happen if I put a touch of dawn?
Yes terrible things will happen. You must use proper dishwashing powder or tablets as they are designed as low suds. Liquid detergent will cause you dishwasher to overflow with suds.

What soapie thing I have done today. Come back signed in to TSM. I am redoing my base formula and want to read up on few oils I looking at using. Gonna up my game I think now as I only make circle soap with FO and no color. Now planning on playing with color since my base is our lard and tallow. I am just looking at liquid oils again. I seem to do this every few years.

I’m getting ready for two weeks of making after deciding to stay home for my summer vacation. I have Wild Plantanica‘s soap router and a kaleidoscope soap setup on the way. I‘m stocked up on Himilayan Rhubarb and indigo (I. tinctoria) from the Yarn Shoppe and just ordered the new Stephenson m+p syndopour shampoo base to try. When I was cleaning up my soap room last night I discovered a gallon of rice bran oil and another gallon of sunflower oil that I forgot I had. I‘m stocked up on everything else and have plenty of lye. Ready, set, go 🤣

Today I finish cleaning up my salt soaptastrophe. I’ve got a bear tallow soap prepped that I’m making for a friend. Then I have a cute Trex embed that’s been sitting wrapped up for a couple weeks and that soap is mostly prepped. All of this was supposed to happen yesterday. But I got distracted by the world and wound up needing to go down to city hall. Hoping these two soaps give me the boost of confidence I need to remake my salt soap.

I’m getting ready for two weeks of making after deciding to stay home for my summer vacation. I have Wild Plantanica‘s soap router and a kaleidoscope soap setup on the way. I‘m stocked up on Himilayan Rhubarb and indigo (I. tinctoria) from the Yarn Shoppe and just ordered the new Stephenson m+p syndopour shampoo base to try. When I was cleaning up my soap room last night I discovered a gallon of rice bran oil and another gallon of sunflower oil that I forgot I had. I‘m stocked up on everything else and have plenty of lye. Ready, set, go 🤣
Yay, excited to see some new soap pics from @Mobjack Bay - always a treat!

I’m using my dishwashing machine to wash soap dishes for the first time. It’s like a shower steamer for my house! It smells so good!
:eek: !!! Ditto what @KiwiMoose said.

TIP: I let the soap on the dishes saponify for a couple days before soaking them in a sink full of water. Wonderful suds and clean dishes to then stack in the dishwasher.

I’m just putting soaps away to cure today. Didn’t know where else to put this meme. But figured it’s a good giggle on a monday morning.

Attachments

• D1A90141-D4A8-469C-A7B2-5A8FAC46BFBE.jpeg
    D1A90141-D4A8-469C-A7B2-5A8FAC46BFBE.jpeg
    125.9 KB · Views: 0
Please do not call yourself and idiot! We all have moments of clarity and we all also have moments of misremembering. We need to forgive ourselves for occasionally misstating or misunderstanding or whatever other slight gaffe. We are human, after all, not gods. I know I often have such moments where I cannot even think of the descriptive word I want and it can be frustrating trying to complete a sentence when a particular adjective just slips away into the ether.

Thank you both. I would always defer to DeeAnna and others with more scientific knowledge & expertise. It's really been a long time since my chemistry classes & the fact that I remember any of it sometimes surprises me.

@AliOop & @Zing, I am so glad you found something useful to you in my Blacksmith soap. I highly encourage tweaking to fit your own personal preferences. The recipe I shared is not set in stone; it was just the one that my brother preferred at the time, so that's the one I shared. I am not above changing out the oils to fit the needs of the user (my brother) or personal preference (the soapmaker) or even based on availability (supply). What with the supply chain problems of late, I am grateful that soapmaking is so versatile and that we can easily adjust a recipe to use what is available at any given time.
DeeAnna is amazing! I have printed out some of her articles and I refer to them over and over. I’m just a few months into soapmaking and I believe my soaps have Improved a LOT because of what I’ve learned from her.
honestly, the generosity of knowledge and experience shared by people on this forum gives me hope when all the news around the world seems so bleak. Thank you, all you wonderful soapers/ chemists/ educators!

Latest posts

Back