What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a carton of what I thought was palm oil, it's actually vegetable shortening. The boxes were similar.
Unfortunately in haste melted and decanted into tubs before realising my error. Actually whilst pouring. it was in a semi solid state & I though that it's not the texture of PO & realised my stupid error.

What can I do with it? The ingredient list is so vague. It only says " Vegetable Oils & Fats; Antioxidant (307)"
I've read a few threads here, but still don't feel confident using it.
What is it's purpose in CP soap?
Do I input "crisco" in SoapCalc?
What percentage would be good to use?
Your invaluable advice is as always so much appreciated. (sometimes I think I use all of you as a crutch and would feel so lost otherwise)
Thank you so much.

Vegetable shortening in Australia is usually copha (which is what is used in chocolate crackles)and is 99% coconut oil. To be sure of what oils are in your product contact the supplier you bought it off and they should be able to tell you what oils are in the mix. I wouldn't put crisco into soapcalc until you know what oils they are, if it is CO just use 25 % of your total oils and put CO into soapcalc.

Attachments

• 1643346027987.png
    1643346027987.png
    87.1 KB · Views: 24
I've always called them (and seen others call them) shower steamers. But shower fizzies, shower scents, and shower scenters are all good names, too.
The “shower bomb” recipe I bought from bath fizz and foam is made to be used on the body.

I could only afford a few scents from the big WSP sale, so I tried to shop wisely. I have, and love their Vetyver! So, I looked at their other EO/FO blends, and found ones with a high percent of FO, and good reviews. I am super pleased with the 3 I got!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 29
I never heard of one to use on the skin. Letw well it goes!
It’s a way different formula than a shower steamer. Low CA, and seaweed powder that turns into a gel. I love it!

I concur.

I bought the DIY recipe and it stings my skin :oops:.
I don’t know how the recipes compare. This one stung my skin once, but i was really chapped from the beach, and I didn’t let it foam up in the water first.

I don’t know how the recipes compare. This one stung my skin once, but i was really chapped from the beach, and I didn’t let it foam up in the water first.
I was told in their FB group that anything with citric acid in it would do that...(I mean like duh) but also why would you want that? I personally always have little cuts and stuff though from eczema, dry skin, etc.
I like the idea though.
Maybe I will try again and let it foam up more before I decide.

My first soapy thing was opening a surprise de-stash package from another SMF member. Whee, it was like Christmas here! This is the second lovely gift from forum members in the past week. THANK YOU to both of you - you know who you are, and your generosity is so appreciated!!

My second soapy thing was picking up a used KitchenAid mixer for $40. It's definitely old; it's got the thinner power cord and some dings and scratches. But it still works great and will be awesome for bath bombs and the like. When I arrived to pick it up, the seller had it plugged in for me to test on the front porch. He appeared to be 70+ years old. He looked at me, looked at the mixer, and said in a thick accent, "Eet eez as ode as bote of us." 😂

Not being sixty yet, I still found him hilarious. I just love spunky older folks! And having survived older brothers, plus a father-in-law (may he rest in peace) who could spot -and would absolutely comment on - as little as a two-pound weight gain, or one pimple, I don't offend easily. But perhaps it is time to rethink the decision to grow out my grays. 😁

My friend who was supposed to come over and make soap cancelled- AGAIN. I made some anyway- a HP scented with black salt and Cypress with coffee grounds, and a FANCY cold process batch scented with Mediterranean Fig. It has Shea butter and pink kaolin clay and gold mica on the top. I hope the inside looks as good as the top!
PXL_20220128_235215465.MP.jpg

Nooo - I don't master batch. I make my aloe up as 'double strength' concentrate and freeze it in 160g baggies. My full water amount is 320g, so I am then free to add the other 160g as plain water, rice water, milk or whatever I like : )

ETA: @ResolvableOwl - don't hold your breath. I submitted a blend a year ago and it's still not showing on there.
Ha oh well I knew it was something with concentrated aloe…

I beveled V-day soap for a customer. That's about as soapy as I have gotten lately. Been so busy at work and house stuff otherwise.

Other than that, I brought in a forest worth of potted plants and watered and mulched in-ground plants in preparation for our cold weather coming this weekend. They are saying it is going to be in the 30's. I'm not sure I have ever seen weather get into the 30s since I moved here 14 years ago, at least maybe not that I cared about now that I have a house with lots of plants LOL. Tomorrow I have to wrap my orange tree and a few others that are in the ground that I am worried about.

I had a hankering for Mexican food, so I ordered door dash and what do you know...they deliver margaritas too LOL. I'm usually a beer girl, but I like a couple of drinks when I go out to eat. So I ordered two, which didn't seem like a bad idea especially since I'll just be enjoying them in sweats from the comfort of my sofa. They are two full 16oz cups LOL. Even the lady who delivered them said she was jealous. I sucked the first one down with dinner, but now have been slowly sipping on the second one for the past two hours.

I guess tomorrow I will design labels and wrap the soap. I'm pretty much glued to the sofa right now LOL

I have a forest in my house too. I am picking up some camellias at a camellia show tomorrow and DH is not thrilled that I'll be adding to the forest in the house before I get them in the ground. I promised him they'd be outta here by Monday night 😁

I finally made some soap after work today. It isn't my challenge soap and it isn't the pull-through soap that I've been planning for weeks but it is soap.

Last week, my husband scoreded some pvc pipe for me, had it cut, and we found some end caps. Seeing that I have big soaping plans this weekend, I decided I'd better get myself out of the rut I've been in. One batch of a Dove copy is in the column mold, scented with Sandalwood and Rose, one of my fave combinations. Pictures to come because right now, it isn't picture worthy. There's just nothing to see but a pvc pipe. :)

Trying to remember it’s only my second time using the NSW system. Blew through my first dozen and was about to lose my mind! It got a little better. I had to adjust my expectations of how smooth they could be.
Can’t wait to try it with soap tomorrow! I’m betting it’ll be less finicky than these bbs.
That last pic is about as smooth as I could get them w out blasting g a hole.
Hoping for a super soapy weekend!

Attachments

• 72547E3D-928F-4F57-B552-67CD2F4CF14B.jpeg
    72547E3D-928F-4F57-B552-67CD2F4CF14B.jpeg
    178.4 KB · Views: 23
  • CE37F207-DFCB-4005-BA31-D293A1706747.jpeg
    CE37F207-DFCB-4005-BA31-D293A1706747.jpeg
    172.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 6AAF7CFC-20EF-4A35-9419-57897A4F1D12.jpeg
    6AAF7CFC-20EF-4A35-9419-57897A4F1D12.jpeg
    202.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 02C4FE9C-0F2D-4214-AFC8-DBDE4B1E382F.jpeg
    02C4FE9C-0F2D-4214-AFC8-DBDE4B1E382F.jpeg
    161.3 KB · Views: 14
So, this morning I was up relatively early (for a Saturday) and couldn't wait to see how my column mold soap had fared. It had actually pulled away slightly from the sides of the mold... good sign! It came out of the mold cleanly and with zero resistance (didn't line the mold or grease it). I'm a lot more confident now; pull-through soap is on the slate for today! (Colour of the soap is actually between the first and third photo... lighter than the first, a little darker than the third.)

Dove copy.png PVC mold.png 1st PVC.png

Not soap but I have had a few requests for my arthritis cream recipe which I posted yesterday. Only 2 members have viewed it so I thought it might be better to post a link here where more members will likely see it.

MSM/EMU OIL CREAM FOR ARTHRITIS

I made this cream for several years for my mom, my DH (may he rest in peace) and for myself when I was first diagnosed with "a bit of" arthritis in my left knee and right shoulder. Mom said it worked better than Blue Emu for her and DH said it worked better than his Arthricream Rub he bought at the grocery store.

So, this morning I was up relatively early (for a Saturday) and couldn't wait to see how my column mold soap had fared. It had actually pulled away slightly from the sides of the mold... good sign! It came out of the mold cleanly and with zero resistance (didn't line the mold or grease it). I'm a lot more confident now; pull-through soap is on the slate for today! (Colour of the soap is actually between the first and third photo... lighter than the first, a little darker than the third.)
I’m so glad you are back in the game! I’ve missed seeing your beautiful soaps. 💜

Back