What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The soap was not a flop after all! It looked perfectly normal this morning. I sorted and put away my new fragrances from the WSP sale, and received a 5lb shipment of Shea butter. Scheduled a soaping session with a friend on Friday, but I might have to make some tomorrow too...

Can we PLEASE start a global campaign to ban NaOH micro-pearls ONCE AND FOR ALL?
Sounds like there is a story there- what happened?

Tub tested. Made the tik toks and posts and what not. Next up is another use of my barely used shrink wrap system got for Christmas. Once I get all the current goodies restocked to my website I can focus on another round of soaps!
Working two jobs part time is more tiring than one job full time. Whew!

Attachments

• F1F349D6-B4A3-4365-A556-80802B99B876.jpeg
    F1F349D6-B4A3-4365-A556-80802B99B876.jpeg
    131.4 KB · Views: 29
  • A45107E6-170F-49DA-897D-396188DED887.jpeg
    A45107E6-170F-49DA-897D-396188DED887.jpeg
    213.5 KB · Views: 30
  • E590734D-744A-4A8D-BADF-743AF84BC935.jpeg
    E590734D-744A-4A8D-BADF-743AF84BC935.jpeg
    647 KB · Views: 27
  • E55A3CF9-D7E7-4BF0-BC49-8BDBD4B84C15.jpeg
    E55A3CF9-D7E7-4BF0-BC49-8BDBD4B84C15.jpeg
    87.7 KB · Views: 40
Against my better judgement, I agreed to make more thin blue line soap for someone who wants to purchase 30 bars. I'm having such a hard time with the straight lines the way I am currently doing it, so I am going to try it differently this weekend. I'm going to make 3 totally separate batches, one for each line. Then pour the first layer and let it set up before I mix the lye into the oils for the second layer, and then the same for the third layer. We'll see how it goes.
The evolution of the TBL soap—first one on the left I made one batch and then separated the blue and black. I didn’t add the essential oil until I was ready to pour, but as you can see, the blue layer hadn’t set up enough when I poured the top black layer. 2nd batch I made 3 separate batches and only started mixing the next batch when the first layer became dull and was set up. Oddly, I used the same amount of activated charcoal in the 2nd batch as I did in the first, but it’s not as dark, so 3rd batch I added more charcoal.

Attachments

• 6F2CBB69-7CCE-4E40-A656-78E8E49E6B8E.jpeg
    6F2CBB69-7CCE-4E40-A656-78E8E49E6B8E.jpeg
    311.5 KB · Views: 37
Tub tested. Made the tik toks and posts and what not. Next up is another use of my barely used shrink wrap system got for Christmas. Once I get all the current goodies restocked to my website I can focus on another round of soaps!
Working two jobs part time is more tiring than one job full time. Whew!
You mean they-they make rainbows in your tub!? 🥺 That's the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. Ever.

My guess is the static electricity got to them and they popped like popcorn all over the place!
But I also need to hear this story!!!
I am fine, no worries 🤫. By hearsay, however, a “good friend of mine” indeed had less-than-ideal experiences with the NaOH micro-pearls. As you know, they love to cuddle with everything plastic in reach, including the thread of the bottle in which the NaOH came. It is a (not entirely implausible) rumor that the lid not even opens any longer without applying unpleasant amounts of force.
What I'm having a hard time to believe, however, is that said person, otherwise not so much known for careless and clumsy handling of dangerous chemicals, managed to spill a heaped teaspoon worth of NaOH pearls all over the working space. If this were a real story, the cleaning up afterwards would have been a real pain!

Why are people so stupid? Why isn't everyone just using masterbatched NaOH solution like I do?

Rainbows = mood elevating. Lately I’m way into rainbows!!
@TashaBird , those are beautiful! I was never into bath bombs but now I can see how fun they are!! I love rainbow stuff. One of my daughters is infatuated with them too!

I am fine, no worries 🤫. By hearsay, however, a “good friend of mine” indeed had less-than-ideal experiences with the NaOH micro-pearls. As you know, they love to cuddle with everything plastic in reach, including the thread of the bottle in which the NaOH came. It is a (not entirely implausible) rumor that the lid not even opens any longer without applying unpleasant amounts of force.
What I'm having a hard time to believe, however, is that said person, otherwise not so much known for careless and clumsy handling of dangerous chemicals, managed to spill a heaped teaspoon worth of NaOH pearls all over the working space. If this were a real story, the cleaning up afterwards would have been a real pain!

Why are people so stupid? Why isn't everyone just using masterbatched NaOH solution like I do?
Owl, this is interesting. I haven’t master batched because I make a lot of smaller batches using goat milk.. but I’m starting to realize this isn’t very productive as I’m getting requests from some places to wholesale.. I don’t think I’d be able to keep up doing it the way I am. I’m using 1/2 aloe and 1/2 goat milk now, so I think I could masterbatch the aloe? Adding the goat milk later.. and it’s always frozen as I don’t milk in the winter. But doable, right?

I received a large package and stashed a friend's de-stash. Looking forward to trying new scents and flavors! My sister also gave me a present of soapy stuff which I put away. She gave me several single cavity molds, lip balm tubes, etc. I like the ovals. The heart shapes, not really my thang but I could make a special batch for her. Also not sure what to do with the honeycomb/bee molds so have my thinking cap on. But I was really touched that she gave me such a thoughtful (and enabling) present.

@maryloucb , I'm always impressed with straight layers -- I know they are an effort but really impressive results! What color is the lather?

@ResolvableOwl , my sympathies to your, um, "friend." 😉

I’m using 1/2 aloe and 1/2 goat milk now, so I think I could masterbatch the aloe?
I was wondering the same thing and will be following for answers! I searched but didn’t find any pertinent post. I’ve not mastered searching on this forum yet!

@Basil @violets2217
I too have never heard from masterbatches that are made from anything but water. Maybe for a reason? It sounds likely that the VERY strong alkaline and water-pulling environment in a 50% NaOH solution can, over time, even attack additives that are otherwise rather lye-resistant (like the goodies in aloe vera juice). Even if it “only” precipitates, it'd be annoying enough.
But in the end, there is only one way to find out ;). Guess why the word “try” is hidden inside “chemistry”!

And those who know in advance which type(s) of soap they want to make from a lye masterbatch, can aim for working strength (e. g. 35% instead of 50%) from the beginning, which saves time, nerves, and a dilution step when actually making the soap.

Also not sure what to do with the honeycomb/bee molds so have my thinking cap on.
Beeswax-based lotion bars?

Because some of us don't want to have extra bottles/buckets of anything sitting around in a space that is already too small.

I was wondering the same thing and will be following for answers! I searched but didn’t find any pertinent post. I’ve not mastered searching on this forum yet!
I found a thread from 2017 mostly not recommending master batching straight goat milk, but I think it could be done with 1/2 something else? 1:1? Adding the other 1/2 later? I realize master batching is to save time right? But would also solve the frequent “bead” explosion ? I didn’t really think I’d be “thinking” about this later….

i looked at my latest soap
still happy
(pre-covid cocoa butter, coconut, RBO etc., with a bit of home-grown aloe, local honey and fresh lemon juice - zero SF with no adjustment for the lemon, so it should be just about ... perfect :thumbs:)

@Basil @violets2217
I too have never heard from masterbatches that are made from anything but water. Maybe for a reason? It sounds likely that the VERY strong alkaline and water-pulling environment in a 50% NaOH solution can, over time, even attack additives that are otherwise rather lye-resistant (like the goodies in aloe vera juice). Even if it “only” precipitates, it'd be annoying enough.
But in the end, there is only one way to find out ;). Guess why the word “try” is hidden inside “chemistry”!

And those who know in advance which type(s) of soap they want to make from a lye masterbatch, can aim for working strength (e. g. 35% instead of 50%) from the beginning, which saves time, nerves, and a dilution step when actually making the soap.
Ewwww, geez… I see Pom poms again… I didn’t even think that it couldn’t be aloe.. but that makes sense. I know @zany kept her milk solution in the fridge overnight.. maybe I could do that and call it a day. When one master batches with water, how long does it last? Out of curiosity..
ETA answering myself again.. but then there’s the milk fat clumps .. 🥴right? 🤔oh my gosh! I can’t stop! Realized “try” and that’s why I have 30+ goats 😂😂😂

Last edited:
Well, water-based masterbatch lasts until it's used up. It is quite usual to make it for months in advance.

Goat milk is mostly water (fine), but also sugars (slowly caramelising in the alkaline), fats (will be fully saponified after some time) and protein (cleaved into an amino acid cocktail that is loosely like soy sauce, and liberates ammonia). I have no idea how long these reactions take, and if the final broth is anywhere similar to fresh goat milk lye.

The second one looks perfect! What does TBL mean?
Yes, indeed, thin blue line. I'm making these for a police spouse organization. The second one looks a lot more grey in person.

@maryloucb Do you add blue colourant to the black parts too?
No blue in the black. Blue mica for the blue and activated charcoal for the black.

@maryloucb , I'm always impressed with straight layers -- I know they are an effort but really impressive results! What color is the lather?
The lather is definitely grey. I love layers, but don't love doing them. They are too fussy for me--I'm more of a freeform kinda gal.

Back