What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had two friends over today for soap training. The mom did M&P, and the (adult) daughter did CP. They were delighted to accept the box full of soaping utensils that I had picked up last weekend from another local soaper.

During the CP session, I wasn't wearing gloves because I was only supposed to be observing. But I absentmindedly reached over to catch a drip off the spout that was going to hit the floor - and managed to get CP batter right in an existing paper cut on the tip of my index finger. OWWWWW!!!!

The skin had been barely broken earlier (no blood even), but within seconds, the soap batter split it wide open, turned the fissure black, and puffed it up like it was infected. A quick wash in the sink cooled things off, thankfully, but I now have quite a bloody split on my fingertip. Lesson learned!

Made my 2nd ever batch of soap with lard. Added Neem oil to this one using recipe @AliOop posted here for skin conditions.

A soap...

I must admit, I wasn’t expecting green when I cut the loaf. 😂
DD8B8DE8-765E-47BB-B9D1-D2600BC983C6.jpeg

Attachments

• F29A5303-6AF3-4F98-8D24-F9CC7DED2BDC.jpeg
    F29A5303-6AF3-4F98-8D24-F9CC7DED2BDC.jpeg
    150.8 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
During the CP session, I wasn't wearing gloves because I was only supposed to be observing. But I absentmindedly reached over to catch a drip off the spout that was going to hit the floor - and managed to get CP batter right in an existing paper cut on the tip of my index finger. OWWWWW!!!!

The skin had been barely broken earlier (no blood even), but within seconds, the soap batter split it wide open, turned the fissure black, and puffed it up like it was infected. A quick wash in the sink cooled things off, thankfully, but I now have quite a bloody split on my fingertip. Lesson learned!
You do have a lotion bar handy, though, right?! Super glue also works. Yikes-kers!

Omg you’re the second person to think the stink horn flower was a 🍆! 🤣
although, I do like a chuckle!

First shower steamers in the books! This mold makes me chuckle!! Green ones are rosemary and sage EO, and orange ones are rosemary and orange.

Mixed lye for some soap, but didn’t make it any farther.
Ok - so those are noses right? ;)

@SavonP I searched them up online recently after someone else on here ( who was it again? - raise your hand please!) posted very similar soap in the same molds. I have been meaning to get some since about 2 years ago when there was a stone soap challenge, and I finally got round to it.

I'm not moody at all 🤬😂

I will attempt to change the conversation away from, um, a certain vegetable (*clutches pearls) -- and share my excitement over a new ingredient.
Mango butter -- where have you been all my life?! I made lotion bars with my fave meadowfoam seed oil (also beeswax, all equal parts). When applying, it absorbed incredibly fast. I don't mean to sound gross, but it was like applying healthy skin. Kinda wanna fill up my tub with it. Definitely a game changer!

I had a mini-soapalooza yesterday making test batches with tea (chamomile and rooibos), batches to compare different types of silk (tussah and peace silk) and a batch with filtered and boiled rainwater to complement a batch I made last summer using water from the dehumidifier. I also checked in on archived soaps for scent retention and DOS. I think I’m ready for a new year of soap making adventures!

It will lighten up a little through the cure to a more creamy earthy tone. At least mine did. Did you use a FO or EO at all? Lol, I’ve made one batch of neem oil soap and just couldn’t handle the smell. Beautiful soap!!!
No, I left the batch unscented. It’s definitely a “smell” 👃. Had no idea what to blend with to mask & wanted to get he loaf poured due to 8 week cure time. Also didn’t want to exacerbate sensitive skin. Any recommendations? Especially for sensitive skin?

I had a mini-soapalooza yesterday making test batches with tea (chamomile and rooibos), batches to compare different types of silk (tussah and peace silk) and a batch with filtered and boiled rainwater to complement a batch I made last summer using water from the dehumidifier. I also checked in on archived soaps for scent retention and DOS. I think I’m ready for a new year of soap making adventures!
These are the soaps made with tea. Rooibos on the left (with hibiscus powder in the upper layer) and chamomile on the right ( with chamomile and calendula powder). The round soap is for comparison. It is uncolored but has some salt added.

2AEF4A39-7633-4955-A9CF-D7CF07FAFE2B.jpeg

No, I left the batch unscented. It’s definitely a “smell” 👃. Had no idea what to blend with to mask & wanted to get he loaf poured due to 8 week cure time. Also didn’t want to exacerbate sensitive skin. Any recommendations? Especially for sensitive skin?
Lemon eucalyptus is not bad - it kinda 'works with it' rather than hiding it.

I will attempt to change the conversation away from, um, a certain vegetable (*clutches pearls) -- and share my excitement over a new ingredient.
Mango butter -- where have you been all my life?! I made lotion bars with my fave meadowfoam seed oil (also beeswax, all equal parts). When applying, it absorbed incredibly fast. I don't mean to sound gross, but it was like applying healthy skin. Kinda wanna fill up my tub with it. Definitely a game changer!
Yes using it is lovely. Nothing at all like Shea on the skin.

I have a mild aversion against lemon eucalyptus. It is too “harsh” for my nose (but maybe this is exactly what the neem needs to become a bit more amiable???). From the faux lemon scents, I'd by far prefer lemongrass or lemon tea tree.

Anyway, tangent. I actually wanted to update my soap dough colourant explorations in the orange-yellow corner of the colour circle:
ckgl.jpg
C: pure curcumin (the main colourant in turmeric)
K: turmeric powder
G and L: two light varieties of ochre (clay/natural yellow oxide). They look innocent, but their lather was the most brightly yellow coloured.

Which one might be today's winner? 🤔

Anyway, it'll have to compete against the safflower petal extract, that is currently steeping.

I made soap today for the first time in MONTHS!! I've gone through a very prolonged (and painful at times) move. I have a new high-travel job which will do one of two things: 1) Exhaust me physically to the point where I don't make much soap anymore (or partake in my other hobby).....or 2) Exhaust me mentally to the point where I need to make soap (or partake in my other hobby), just to keep my sanity. 😁

I probably wouldn't have soaped yet, as the house is still pretty much a disaster, but a few months ago I sent some soap to my friend several states away who's currently battling cancer. She loved it, and a while back asked me if I had a spearmint eucalyptus soap I could send. I said no, but as soon as I have my stuff I'll make you one! So that's what I did today. It's not fancy but it sure does smell good! As a side bonus, I got my soap stuff semi-organized in a closet in the new place. I'd really gotten out of the groove, though!

Your green soaps are gorgeous - I've never been so lucky to get that color from mine! I find that vanilla, chocolate, coffee, and musk type scents go well with neem, but Dragon's Blood is my absolute favorite scent in that neem soap recipe. My second favorite is sandalwood vanilla. Thankfully, neither of them irritate my husband's sensitive skin.

I made soap today! Mrs. Zing requested a double batch of lavender. It's mostly white with a bit of pink. I measured out all my ingredients and wouldncha know, ran out of the last ingredient I weighed -- coconut oil. Mrs. Zing to the rescue made a run to the grocery store (I still have a broken foot and our car is a stick shift).

For just a 2 color soap, I made quite a mess and sooo many dirty dishes! @AliOop and her paper cut would've have gone screaming for the hills! I kept splattering batter everywhere and my spatulas kept getting gooped up so I kept grabbing another spatula. Oh, and for some reason, I thought my soup pot had cooled down enough to place upon my scale which is covered by a plastic bag. Nope! The plastic bag melted and now I've got that to clean up.

Now I'll be angsty for 24 hours....

Back