What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a couple of batches of lard, coconut, castor oil soap in the very beginning. I have been giving it away cause it was the only soap that was even close to cure. Well today we had thanks giving at my parents house. On the way over there my wife finally told me she had washed her face and that she liked the soap and that I better not give it all way. Well, after today I have exactly 3 bars left. Sooo, I just got done with a 40 ounce batch while the wife and my kids and grandkids are upstairs.

I was going to make some deer tallow soap but this was my first positive comment from my wife and so I thought I better make sure I have a couple ready when needed. Only problem is that I have now run through almost another two lbs of lye and will need to order again.

I almost hope she does not start liking the liquid soap cause I have given all but about a pint of two batches of that away also.
Cheers
gww

@Zing I shall now be forever thinking of you whenever I see Brad Pitt.......

Today I started putting together my Christmas offering this year. Won't be as nice as last year but at least people won't forget me when they're buying Christmas gifts lol. Scouting for packaging materials as we speak.

It's gonna be cute!

On that note. Does anyone know if colored glassine stains? If I wrap a lotion bar with red glassine will my bar have red splotches?

And oh! While searching for the above stuff I found someone who sells tallow! So excited

Last edited:
I want to make a dupe of Burt's Bees peppermint lip balm for holiday gifts this year. So today was spent crawling through rabbit holes of all kinds of recipes and advice. Desperately battling away the forces of analysis paralysis, I decided to trust a post on this forum so thank you, @IrishLass for Lip balm. I'm trusting you, so, no pressure or anything! :)

I boxed up two cured soaps and turned a boatload of curing soaps.

I made a couple of batches of lard, coconut, castor oil soap in the very beginning. I have been giving it away cause it was the only soap that was even close to cure. Well today we had thanks giving at my parents house. On the way over there my wife finally told me she had washed her face and that she liked the soap and that I better not give it all way. Well, after today I have exactly 3 bars left. Sooo, I just got done with a 40 ounce batch while the wife and my kids and grandkids are upstairs.

I was going to make some deer tallow soap but this was my first positive comment from my wife and so I thought I better make sure I have a couple ready when needed. Only problem is that I have now run through almost another two lbs of lye and will need to order again.

I almost hope she does not start liking the liquid soap cause I have given all but about a pint of two batches of that away also.
Cheers
gww
So whatcha gonna wanna do to prevent this, is to soap on a regular basis so that you'll always have soap ready to use.

Good Morning,
Cleaned up and organized my self made supplies closet and about to start on some facial oils. ☺

Attachments

• 20211128_074443.jpg
    20211128_074443.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 24
Cut my most recent batch today. It's my failed rainbow confetti. Despite my problems with soft soap and wondering how its all going to end up, this soap came out exactly as I had envisioned it! I'm not sure the embeds will stay inside the soap as it is used though, due to the 'cheddar cheese-like chunkiness of the soap' wherein the soap falls apart in clumps when cut. Lots of bits fell off when cutting. Hopefully in use in the shower it will all stay together!
2E5FCB30-32DF-4F5B-979B-565C14C4E604.jpeg

I decided to replace my SB after @Zing post realizing mine is worn out from the info / video posted. I thought I try a SB that looked comparable to the Cuisinart SB @lenarenee suggested in post. Hope it is' time will tell, delivery is overnight & free yay, Merry Christmas to me. 😛

Attachments

• AD0E6878-8566-488F-BC23-161E31FC1B44.jpeg
    AD0E6878-8566-488F-BC23-161E31FC1B44.jpeg
    85.3 KB · Views: 19
I stole my wife's SB that has all but one of the plastic feet broke that keep the blade from hitting the bowl. I must have mentioned it cause my sister gave me a nicer one with detachable head and more attachments. For some reason, this is now in the drawer where I stole the first one from. I must have pretty low standards cause I really like the old broke plastic one. Sorta superstitious like a ball player who refuses to change his socks cause they are lucky. Before my sister, I had window shopped on line but had not pulled the trigger.
Cheers
gww

I stole my wife's SB that has all but one of the plastic feet broke that keep the blade from hitting the bowl. I must have mentioned it cause my sister gave me a nicer one with detachable head and more attachments. For some reason, this is now in the drawer where I stole the first one from. I must have pretty low standards cause I really like the old broke plastic one. Sorta superstitious like a ball player who refuses to change his socks cause they are lucky. Before my sister, I had window shopped on line but had not pulled the trigger.
Cheers
gww
If it's working good no need to switch it out' is my motto. 🤗🧼👍🏼

Before my sister, I had window shopped on line but had not pulled the trigger.
Thrift stores are a great place to find "gently used" stick blenders for $5. If you're not prowling the aisles of Goodwill and ARC now, I feel we've somehow failed you in your soapmaking journey. I have 3 at the moment. Good to have a back-up. I did have another one... almost toothless too... it was plastic and the first one I bought for $10 at Target. It melted in 2011 when I first started making GLS (Liquid Soap made with glycerin to replace the water portion of the lye solution. HOT HOT HOT! I broke down and paid full price for a Cuisinart Smart Stick with a stainless steel shaft. Luv it. 😁

Zany
I have to rely on mom for goodwill and such. We all live in the boonies with the closest probably 50 miles away and they go to the doctor more then me and so make more opportunities to shop in such places. Myself, I am a bit of a hermit and have a hard time leaving home for a 6 mile drive for milk. My family hits lots of yard sales also but I try just not to want much that might get me out looking. Going to moms house can be like going to an odd shop cause I think she has most things around that have ever been made by man. Gets you a little spoiled and gives opportunity to stay a hermit.
Cheers
gww

Made one more 30 oz batch today with deer tallow in it and now really am out of lye. I do still have some koh but my bar making is done for a bit. I ordered two more lbs which I hope not to start using the minute it arrives. I have made probably 70 bars and given away probably 20+ and truth be known, none of them would be at a 8 week cure yet. Starting to get expensive and I have a little time and enough soap to try and pace myself a little better from here on out. Wish me luck.
Cheers
gww

Latest posts

Back