What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wanted to give an update on @Zany_in_CO Palm Olive Soap. It's curing but im surprised w/ the moisturizing effect it leaves on hands' though its not cured, Ive got more bubbles then expected' The only thing I added to recipe is sodium gluconate, vanilla paste, otherwise followed recipe to a tea. wanted the soap to have a light hint of vanilla scent & the fo I used kinda smells of vanilla'ish which is caramel tobacco' in a small amount. The vanilla paste didn't add any scent in my opinion but its good label appeal' & the vanilla specs looks appealing, which I should of used more, I can hardly see the tiny specs in soap.
thank you @Zany_in_CO for being so kind & sharing your recipe's 🥰🤗🧼.

Attachments

• F4E5A939-B51E-445B-AF2A-23ADA61C010D.jpeg
    F4E5A939-B51E-445B-AF2A-23ADA61C010D.jpeg
    112.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 7FB5E018-005A-4B3E-8707-8EFC1583713F.jpeg
    7FB5E018-005A-4B3E-8707-8EFC1583713F.jpeg
    70.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
thank you @Zany_in_CO for being so kind & sharing your recipe's
You are so very welcome! Thank you for sharing results! Lovely soaps you've got there. I often wonder how others like my recipes. That particular one is a great hair and body shampoo bar for men. It made my DH's silvery white hair shine with no trace of yellow!

Last edited:
@Peachy Clean Soap
Yes, if you add a bit more vanilla paste, and replace some 2% of the palm oil by red palm oil, it gets the perfect vanilla (ice cream) look!
Oh thats a wonderful idea' thx for your tip. 🤗👍🏼

You are so very welcome! Thank you for sharing results! Lovely soaps you've got there. I often wonder how others like my recipes. That particular one is a great hair and body shampoo bar for men. It made my DH's silvery white hair shine with no trace of yellow!

I forgot to mention your recipe was perfect to fill the 6 cups new mold I bought 👍🏼💫

I'll ask hubby to try it on his natural uncolored hair' though his hair is auburn once a ginger years ago. My hair is colored to no end & dry so I wont try it on mine. Thats surprising it removes the brassy color from beautiful grey hair good to know✨💫. I'm looking forward to making your "No Slime Olive Soap Recipe" 😉🤗🧼👍🏼.

Thx again 💞🧼🤗

View attachment 62720
Life hack: Either play with superheated water/boiling retardation, or with red palm oil. Not with both at once.

Wow' & what a mess to clean. 🤯

I am enjoying a post-soaping session beverage. I made my very favorite Spring Clean and inaugurated my new stick blender, the white Cuisinart. Scented with rosemary and lemongrass essential oils. Scent is such a trigger for me. I love this scent. It was the first original blend I mixed and the first design that I got super stoked about. It's the most requested from friends. My first batch got glycerin rivers and Google led me to you all and that's how I found you all, so there's that also as well.
*wipes tear from eye
Also am stoked that I filled 2 molds with no leftover batter! And thanks to a hack found here, I smushed TD in oil in a baggie and then cut a corner to pour. It was the most liquid TD in history!

Our furnace broke and gets replaced tomorrow. The furnace and my soap shop are in the basement so just relocated 11 batches of soap and shielded them with bedsheets.

I'll sign off for a few days and try to keep up with you all. This week managing a food pantry is like April for accountants.

Wishing my fellow citizens a blessed and happy Thanksgiving. Am always grateful to all my forum friends -- regardless of nationality -- for advice and humor.

Last edited:
I have made three batches now with the GV shortening. (Including my challenge soap this month which was perhaps not blended to emulsion) Every one has been super soft coming out of the mold even days later. Three days ago I made a rice water soap with the GV and made SURE to stick blend it to a good solid trace. It was only cuttable today and has a weird, cheddar-cheese like consistency, in which soap flakes off the cuts like a really good cheese does. I think I'm tossing the GV and going back to lard!!!

Today's cut:
(My lame attempt at a secret feather swirl! 😂)

View attachment 62653

I am cutting my soaps with a knife now since my wire cheese cutter broke so perhaps that has something to do with the cheddar cheese appearance/flaking. Currently though, I don't even have the $9 to buy a cheese cutter off Amazon so knife it is!
I love your Secret Feather Design' it's pretty. I bought the GV shortening & my soap was way to soft too' I think the soapcalc here is off w/ the lye amount' My soap wasn't flaky but all loafs where really soft! even though I kept adjusting my water amount. I wont be using the GV Shortening again, unfortunately.

I am enjoying a post-soaping session beverage. I made my very favorite Spring Clean and inaugurated my new stick blender, the white Cuisinart. Scented with rosemary and lemongrass essential oils. Scent is such a trigger for me. I love this scent. It was the first original blend I mixed and the first design that I got super stoked about. It's the most requested from friends. My first batch got glycerin rivers and Google led me to you all and that's how I found you all, so there's that also as well.
*wipes tear from eye
Also am stoked that I filled 2 molds with no leftover batter! And thanks to a hack found here, I smushed TD in oil in a baggie and then cut a corner to pour. It was the most liquid TD in history!

Our furnace broke and gets replaced tomorrow. The furnace and my soap shop are in the basement so just relocated 11 batches of soap and shielded them with bedsheets.

I'll sign off for a few days and try to keep up with you all. This week managing a food pantry is like April for accountants.

Wishing my fellow citizens a blessed and happy Thanksgiving. Am always grateful to all my forum friends -- regardless of nationality -- for advice and humor.
Wishing you & yours a blessed Thanksgiving 🦃🍂💐

My daughter made her first soap last night and ask me a couple things and I told her she would be better asking you guys next time.
michelle1.jpeg

I thought it was an ambitious first soap but I guess we will see after she unmolds. she was complaining that the stuff she used to make it seemed to be coming out greasy when washed and my advice was to use more dish soap and it should get clean.
Cheers
gww

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow' & what a mess to clean. 🤯
It was indeed. I didn't tell you about the bumping part. When the water at the bottom of the beaker boiled (literally exploded), the beaker jumped up in the air with great vigor, and crashed against the roof of the microwave – it made a terrible sound, like when a bird flies against a window at full pelt. I had terrible luck that it didn't break, otherwise I'd have oil spill PLUS GLASS SHARDS :eek:.

she was complaining that the stuff she used to make it seemed to be coming out greasy when washed
Yes. Unsaponified oils, and lard is about the worst. With batter residues on spatulas, moulds, beakers, it's easiest to just wait 1 or 2 days, until the batter has turned into soap, and then it washes away all by itself in warm water.
Yes, laziness/procrastination is an officially approved soapmaking technique :cool:.

My daughter made her first soap last night and ask me a couple things and I told her she would be better asking you guys next time. I thought it was an ambitious first soap but I guess we will see after she unmolds. she was complaining that the stuff she used to make it seemed to be coming out greasy when washed and my advice was to use more dish soap and it should get clean.
It's best to post "Help with a Recipe" in the Recipe Feedback Forum where more members will see it.
:thumbs: ;)

@gww looks like a good recipe to me. Love the additions of goat milk and colloidal oats! I'd have used 33% lye concentration instead of water-as-percent-of-oils, but that's something she can research to find out what she likes in that dept.

One other comment: she doesn't need to have the lye solution and oils within 10 degrees of one another, and she can definitely soap much cooler when using goat milk, to avoid having it scorch and turn brown or tan.

Anyhoo, let us know how it turns out, and tell her to give you some pics to post for us. Please :)

Olioop
Lye was 71 f and oil were 92f she on my advice was going to unmold and cut. She said it had a few drops of separated oil on the top. I have pictures but do not know how to get from email to here. This is my first texting experience cause I never had a phone with data before. I am not smart enough to add what resolvableowl ask for either.
Cheers
Gww

Ps I don't remember how I got the recipe from email to here but am working on it.

I should have said zany requested above on not knowing how to highlight a name. I did also tell my daughter to use 33 lye concentration and that it was the second option under water percent but was doing it all through text while on deer stand and as mentioned earlier, just now is my first real experience using text. Not sure I like it.
Cheers
Gww
Ps still trying to figure out how to get texted pictures from text to here.

Resized_20211122_094803.jpeg

Ok, got it. I will leave all you good people alone now.
Gww

Today my soap thing is thanking all of you for sharing and teaching and showing kindness to all of us who love soapmaking and never had a clue about the giving process of it. I have learned so much and know that I can count on learning more without fear of ridicule or competitiveness. A rare thing now in our country. I really do love you all and hope that I can contribute in the same way as you have . Happy Thanksgiving fellow soap makers and have a wonderful soapy day!!!

I got a call today from a former colleague who said, "hem, haw, um, do you sell your soap?" I said, "Sarah, I don't sell to people I know. I'll give you a couple of bars if you want them. If you want more to give away, then it'll cost you." She asked me to text my price list and options to her. Gotta get my marketing team on this!

Today at work was all 'kitten loved' (beat you there, mod :) ) beyond all recognition -- and I do believe full moons kitten love things up. Pulled a 12 hour day and Just. Couldn't. Wait. to take solitude and comfort in my soap shop. I unmolded, cut, and posted, Spring Clean .

Wanted to give an update on @Zany_in_CO Palm Olive Soap. It's curing but im surprised w/ the moisturizing effect it leaves on hands' though its not cured, Ive got more bubbles then expected' The only thing I added to recipe is sodium gluconate, vanilla paste, otherwise followed recipe to a tea. wanted the soap to have a light hint of vanilla scent & the fo I used kinda smells of vanilla'ish which is caramel tobacco' in a small amount. The vanilla paste didn't add any scent in my opinion but its good label appeal' & the vanilla specs looks appealing, which I should of used more, I can hardly see the tiny specs in soap.
thank you @Zany_in_CO for being so kind & sharing your recipe's 🥰🤗🧼.
Beautiful!

Back