What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here it is from eocalc: Under The Stars » EO Calc - Essential Oil Calculator The vetiver is very earthy and deep, and the clary sage is green, herbaceous, bright. I know it's used as a green tea scent. The whole blend is very "planty" It really smells like a freshly cut tree to me.
I have this one bookmarked as it sounds really good, and now I'm even more curious to try, but where I live the sage EO is really expensive and I keep holding off! (Maybe it can be my Christmas present to myself... 😁)

Well I very gently dumped my challenge soap out of the mold today so that air could get to more sides than just the top. Here's hoping it's actually soap! Nothing leaked out or anything so...... maybe?!
Is it still soft? My challenge soap had this problem after 48 hours in the mold, which is unusual, but 24 hours out of the mold exposed to air did the trick and it hardened.

Work in progress. A combo of air brush and hand painting. Comfort and Joy FO from NS smells like apple cider! They’ve got black and red embeds inside. Hoping to finish these up tomorrow and make some soap dough embeds.
I just ordered a gift box for my daughter for Christmas that was a collaboration of 3 creators on TikTok, a candle, bar of soap and a bath bomb just like yours. It's gonna scare the crap outta her, but she really wants a candle for some reason. So I thought why not, support small businesses and tackle Christmas shopping!

Those look beautiful!!

Is it still soft? My challenge soap had this problem after 48 hours in the mold, which is unusual, but 24 hours out of the mold exposed to air did the trick and it hardened.

24 hours after dumping I cut it and it was still soft enough to bend under the knife! But all the bars are exposed to air now so🤞

I seem to have had this same problem lately with all soaps made with Great Value shortening which I was trying in place of lard. Can't say I approve!!

24 hours after dumping I cut it and it was still soft enough to bend under the knife! But all the bars are exposed to air now so🤞

I seem to have had this same problem lately with all soaps made with Great Value shortening which I was trying in place of lard. Can't say I approve!!
OMG!!! The batch I had trouble with a really mush layer and an overall soft bar...was made with the GV shortening too! it was my first batch with it since I was experimenting and all.

OMG!!! The batch I had trouble with a really mush layer and an overall soft bar...was made with the GV shortening too! it was my first batch with it since I was experimenting and all.

I have made three batches now with the GV shortening. (Including my challenge soap this month which was perhaps not blended to emulsion) Every one has been super soft coming out of the mold even days later. Three days ago I made a rice water soap with the GV and made SURE to stick blend it to a good solid trace. It was only cuttable today and has a weird, cheddar-cheese like consistency, in which soap flakes off the cuts like a really good cheese does. I think I'm tossing the GV and going back to lard!!!

Today's cut:
(My lame attempt at a secret feather swirl! 😂)

C670F0E1-22B8-4FAA-8C35-9AA65D9F7300.jpeg

I am cutting my soaps with a knife now since my wire cheese cutter broke so perhaps that has something to do with the cheddar cheese appearance/flaking. Currently though, I don't even have the $9 to buy a cheese cutter off Amazon so knife it is!

I texted my niece who is coming for Thanksgiving (along with 12 other people) and asked her if she wanted to make soap with me after everybody else goes home. We're both really excited to do this. She asked what fragrances I had. I texted her back this pic. I'm an FO ho...
PXL_20211119_212404646.jpg

So many soapy things today. Unpacked my delivery of various oils. Unpacked my NEW STICK BLENDER! Turned eleven, yes, eleven batches of curing soap -- and again, I don't have a problem, I can stop at anytime! Labeled and packed a batch of lotion bars. Worked out a recipe and design for a soap session tomorrow. Labeled a coupla soaps for a friend's birthday.

We went to this birthday party tonight (negative COVID tests were the price of admission). Everyone got terribly excited about the soaps I gave. Several people want to learn and every person was like uber into various pandemic crafts. This one couple reminisced about their Peace Corps years in Central America where they taught women how to make soap -- by first making their own lye from ashes and making their own essential oils. I was like, uh, I buy lye and I buy essential oils. pre-made. And one attendant said I reminded him of Brad Pitt's character making soap in the movie Fight Club. And I'm like, yeah, I often am mistaken for Brad Pitt.:cool:

@melonpan you’re getting me motivated to render the sheep fat a friend brought by. There’s not much of it so it will be a very small batch.
I believe there's been a case of mistaken melon identity. I am a mellon with two "L"s and a "friend", not a "pan".
🍲 🤗 👍

Back