What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like her videos & a calming voice. 🤗💫✨
Yes I could watch her videos all day. She makes everything look so simple. And her voice really is calming.
@ResolvableOwl Thanks for the info you sent as well. I added the indigo to a small amount of OO like I do with my micas. I had that weird gray color Holly had, so I added more in a bit of a panic. Hence some of the dark blue specks. I noticed that the outside of Holly’s blue soap was kind of murky gray. Mine is pink. And I peeked at the cut bars and it looks like the blue is turning more gray. I wonder if they will change all the way to pink. And yikes on the blue transferring to the white washcloth!!
Well live and learn. I’m still 85% happy with the results. 😁

I just finished an online (Zoom) liquid soapmaking demonstration for an orphan relief group in Uganda, mostly pre-recorded so they didn't have to sit around during the wait times involved. The plan was that I'd finish it live by adding color and fragrance. This recipe normally dilutes perfectly on the first try, but of course, not tonight. Oh well, they got to see what under-diluted LS looks like, and learn how to fix it. 😆

There were definitely some funny moments during this meeting. At the beginning, I thought the director said, "This is my brother-in-law." (there was another man in the background). When I said, "Hello, brother-in-law, nice to meet you," they all looked so puzzled. Then the director said, "No, how is your husband?" 😂 Uh, he's fine, thanks!

Also, it turns out that their version of "liquid soap" is actually more of a detergent that includes these ingredients:

 Sulphonic acid
 Ungarol // Tibro/ sles
 Sodium hydroxide
 Sodium chloride
 Urea
 Formalin
 CMC powder
 Perfume
 Color
 KDS
 Soda Ash
 STPP

This is a state-approved recipe that is used for household washing and cleaning. But they admitted that they also end up using it for handwashing "because it is easier." :eek: I urged them to consider making the type of liquid soap that I showed them, as it would be much easier on their skin. And other than KOH, it would not require any additional ingredients than those they already use for making bar soap. They are going to think about it.

In a couple of days, we will reconvene to do a bar soap demonstration. They normally make one-color bar soap, and they would like to see how to make some eye-catching designs with several bright colors. I'm probably going to do a Taiwan swirl since that always looks jazzy, even when it isn't technically perfect.

These people are so amazing and resourceful in all that they do. They were willing to meet at 6am (my 9pm) to learn to make liquid soap as a possible income-producer for their orphanage. They are constantly looking for new ways to support their family, the orphans, and the village children who need education. It makes me realize how blessed we are!

Well, yesterday I did a bunch of the prep for the challenge soap.
We're still in the process of converting the old cow shed (some may remember it as the kill room) into a proper craft room, but everything is in odd places at the moment. It took me an awful lot of energy to find all of the ingredients and most of the equipment and by the time they were all assembled I decided to take my own advice and come back to it today with a fresh brain.
I got hung up on the point of calculating the percentages of different coloured batter I want and then translating it into grams of mica (no, not mice, autocorrect...) but I think I have a handle on that today 🤞 ... Not that I haven't done it many times before anyway.
I can so relate!! Good luck !!! ❤️

I just finished an online (Zoom) liquid soapmaking demonstration for an orphan relief group in Uganda, mostly pre-recorded so they didn't have to sit around during the wait times involved. The plan was that I'd finish it live by adding color and fragrance. This recipe normally dilutes perfectly on the first try, but of course, not tonight. Oh well, they got to see what under-diluted LS looks like, and learn how to fix it. 😆

There were definitely some funny moments during this meeting. At the beginning, I thought the director said, "This is my brother-in-law." (there was another man in the background). When I said, "Hello, brother-in-law, nice to meet you," they all looked so puzzled. Then the director said, "No, how is your husband?" 😂 Uh, he's fine, thanks!

Also, it turns out that their version of "liquid soap" is actually more of a detergent that includes these ingredients:

 Sulphonic acid
 Ungarol // Tibro/ sles
 Sodium hydroxide
 Sodium chloride
 Urea
 Formalin
 CMC powder
 Perfume
 Color
 KDS
 Soda Ash
 STPP

This is a state-approved recipe that is used for household washing and cleaning. But they admitted that they also end up using it for handwashing "because it is easier." :eek: I urged them to consider making the type of liquid soap that I showed them, as it would be much easier on their skin. And other than KOH, it would not require any additional ingredients than those they already use for making bar soap. They are going to think about it.

In a couple of days, we will reconvene to do a bar soap demonstration. They normally make one-color bar soap, and they would like to see how to make some eye-catching designs with several bright colors. I'm probably going to do a Taiwan swirl since that always looks jazzy, even when it isn't technically perfect.

These people are so amazing and resourceful in all that they do. They were willing to meet at 6am (my 9pm) to learn to make liquid soap as a possible income-producer for their orphanage. They are constantly looking for new ways to support their family, the orphans, and the village children who need education. It makes me realize how blessed we are!
That is amazing AliOop! My husband and I have been to Africa a couple of times to refugee camps teaching for different reasons and we were just talking about that the other day. I bet the kids had fun! I can’t wait to hear how your next demonstration goes. I should watch you on the Taiwan swirl!! I’ve never tried it yet!!

That is amazing AliOop! My husband and I have been to Africa a couple of times to refugee camps teaching for different reasons and we were just talking about that the other day. I bet the kids had fun! I can’t wait to hear how your next demonstration goes. I should watch you on the Taiwan swirl!! I’ve never tried it yet!!
@AliOop You So Rock. Just fantastic 🤗🧼

Right?? And they use it ON THEIR HANDS when they are done cleaning the floor, oven, machinery, etc. :eek:

@Basil that is so cool that you have been there! I haven’t gone, but my mom has been a bunch of times. To clarify, I was teaching the adults that lead the orphanage how to make this (not kids, bc... lye). One of those who participated yesterday is an adult orphan who has stayed on to become staff there. They are always looking for projects that will create an income, which they can teach to the orphans as they grow older, so they will have a trade.

Besides this new project of soap making, they also do tailoring, barbering, farming, raising chickens and goats, and the like. It is so inspiring to see their enthusiasm and dedication to try things!

Last edited:
Right?? And they use it ON THEIR HANDS when they are done cleaning the floor, oven, machinery, etc. :eek:

@Basil that is so cool that you have been there! I haven’t gone, but my mom has been a bunch of times. To clarify, I was teaching the adults that lead the orphanage how to make this (not kids, bc.. lye). One of those who participated yesterday is an adult orphan who has stayed on and become staff there. They are always looking for projects that will create an income, and that they can teach to the orphans as they grow older, so they will have a trade.

Besides this new project of soap making, they also do tailoring, barbering, farming, raising chickens and goats, and the like. It is so inspiring to see their enthusiasm and dedication to try things!
Ohhh!! That makes sense! That’s just really cool! As a kid I lived in Rhodesia for awhile , called Zimbabwe now, and my husband and I did trips to Algeria- to the Saharawi camps. My parents also went a bunch of times to different places in Africa! That’s really cool your mom has been there! I know you must be having fun doing this. It’s nice to be able to enjoy people when they have such an interest AND enthusiasm in learning new things and sharing together. It’s such an adjustment to come back and see the difference in attitudes. Let us know how the swirl goes!!

This little card was in with the free sample that was in my Nurture Soap order I got in the mail today. 🤣😆😂 Absolutely MADE my day!
IMG_8925.JPG

The gave me a whole 5 grams of honey blush mica as a sample too which was a lovely surprise. I'll be buying from them again!!! 😀

This little card was in with the free sample that was in my Nurture Soap order I got in the mail today. 🤣😆😂 Absolutely MADE my day!
View attachment 62078

The gave me a whole 5 grams of honey blush mica as a sample too which was a lovely surprise. I'll be buying from them again!!! 😀
I LOVE them for those reasons! I’ve already sent two of those cards to daughters 😂😂😂

View attachment 62078

Who the heck washes their hands with their tongue??!!

View attachment 62078

I also got some honey blush mica with my last order and was suppose to request that particular meme card and forgot!!! Jason Mamoa was posted all over Nurture Soap's Facebook page and they told me I could request it! I'm a bit upset with myself for forgetting, I really wanted to add him the the others magnet-ed to my fridge!

Who the heck washes their hands with their tongue??!!
@KiwiMoose you need to have a little private chat with Miss Kim about keeping this forum clean! (looking for an indignant emoji).

Truth is, I'm only miffed because it did give me a head tilt and took a second before I figured out what you meant. Sheesh, the aging process is gaining velocity every second, it seems.

@KiwiMoose you need to have a little private chat with Miss Kim about keeping this forum clean! (looking for an indignant emoji).

Truth is, I'm only miffed because it did give me a head tilt and took a second before I figured out what you meant. Sheesh, the aging process is gaining velocity every second, it seems.
Well, poop! cause I was about to reply to @ResolvableOwl that I'm a cat know! I just LOVE Jason Mamoa!

I was gonna copy paste the picture onto my message, but figured I would let those reading it figure it out LOL

I actually cannot take credit for the line, it came up in my facebook as a meme one day way before NS used it on a card.

There is nothing wrong with looking at a beautiful body. How you choose to clean it is a personal choice.

Back