What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, soapy friends, soapy friends, soapy friends, what a mixed soapy day! On the plus side, after 24 hours of angst (you know the drill), my landscape soap turned out okay, My latest and @AliOop was so demanding of pics, so I hope she's satisfied!!

On the negative side, I had this small window of time to make a batch. From a masterbatch, I poured out the oil mixture and lye solution and thought something's not right. I should have listened to that little voice. It's nothing like the New Zealand Great Red Mica Spill of 2021 (not to mention any names, @KiwiMoose cough cough). I have a chart of weights of various combos of molds but I just kept going because I was on a tight schedule. First, I poured one mold and then as I was finishing my top I realized, wait, I didn't do my hanger swirl!! Like, who does that??!! And then I poured into the second mold and it wasn't even close to filling. I was freakin' out about being lye heavy. Luckily, as it turns out, my ratio of lye solution and oil mixture was just fine -- I just had chosen a smaller volume than what I needed.

While I'm relieved that the ratios were correct, I'm just frustrated with myself that I chose the wrong weights and now pans and utensils were "wasted" and now have to wait to get washed.... Erg - some people's kids..... And of course, this is all under the Christmas/curing time line.

How tall do you want your bars to be? Let me look at my recipe and get back to you. I want to measure the cut height too.

Eta: @lesavonvert For one mold, I used 50 oz oils, or 1417.5 grams by weight. 33% lye concentration, and the bars are just 3 1/8 inches or 8 centimeters.
Hello thank you for the informations

First use of my first batch of Zany’s no slime Castile made on 8/23. I love the feel and the lather. This one is 85% chamomile flower infused olive oil, 10% coconut oil and 5% castor oil. I also added 1 tablespoon of sugar. Hopefully my photo shows the lack of slime😉

Attachments

• 5D07F98D-012F-4FEA-9DD6-9F832BA0C31D.jpeg
    5D07F98D-012F-4FEA-9DD6-9F832BA0C31D.jpeg
    70.1 KB · Views: 20
I am planning the next leg of my trip so I can make more soap (probably in Arkansas). Tomorrow is granddaughter's birthday, so no soap making for at least another couple of days. Once I am back on the road & into my next lodging (with a kitchen so I have lots of space), I'll make two more attempts. This may be cutting it close, but it is what it is.

I still have to figure out a way* to Identify which way to turn the unmolded soap and cut it to get the butterfly. With the CC-1504 mold, it's too easy to turn it the wrong way and cut in the wrong direction. I need to put some sort of sign on the soap or something. I thought it would be easy with the second one to see which direction to cut, but once I got around to cutting, the clue that I thought would be obvious was not at all clearly visible anymore.

Perhaps it would be better to use a loaf mold, but I only brought two CC-1504 molds with me on this trip, thinking they would be fine for a butterdfly swirl, which they may well be, but the cut is confusing when the loaf is almost a perfect square.

* I think I'll but masking tape across the top of the mold immediately after molding to indicate the direction of cut, then before unmolding, I'll score the top along the masking tape lines. That should do it. At least I hope so.

Cleaned up and stamped soap. Reorganized curing rack and gathered end pieces and scraps and ugly soap to take to work. Freed up 2 shelves for more soap…. 😬😳🤪

I’m now stressing though… the group I usually give my soap to wasn’t at the hotel tonight and a lady I’ve dealt with before with a community initiative through a church stopped at the desk and I asked if they wanted the soap. Now mind you this is end pieces and a few batches that seized and I don’t like. She asked me if I did this as a business, it was such pretty soap…and I told her no & all the sudden she’s gonna be in touch. Something about a radio show and asking if I’m Christian. I’m scared! #1 I was thinking in my head… I have much prettier soap at home, I don’t like talking to people let alone strangers on the radio and she’s gonna make me work for it. It’s not going to be my therapy anymore! Lol! I’m getting way ahead of myself but she’s still stressing me out! Giving away soap is becoming a real issue for my antisocial self!

Someone needs to lock me in a room with no computer and quick. Although, this time its the husband's fault. I have a Customer who buys everything in Honeysuckle Jasmine. Soap, shampoo bars, lotion etc. I just shipped her 10 bars of soap so i needed to reorder a big bottle of the scent.

Husband sees me ordering and decides, he needs more candles. so as Im scrolling, he's stopping me every few seconds so he can look at ones he wants me to make into candles.

So now I have 2 orders from two different fo companies and 86 candle tins coming in the mail.

Maybe HE should be the one locked up next time I order fo for soap?

I made soap! The top is going to be fugly due to uncooperative Saran wrap. That's 4 batches in 4 days, a lot for this hobbyist! I have just one more batch to make for Christmas presents and then I will relax.

I cut yesterday's soap. If you've been following my personal drama, you will recall that I used the wrong volumes for 2 particular molds. And I forgot to swirl. It's for my youngest son who is pretty chill and not picky. And it smells good.

I wanted to work on tomorrow's recipe and design but I just noted the time so this soaper is done with his soapy day.

Someone needs to lock me in a room with no computer and quick. Although, this time its the husband's fault. I have a Customer who buys everything in Honeysuckle Jasmine. Soap, shampoo bars, lotion etc. I just shipped her 10 bars of soap so i needed to reorder a big bottle of the scent.

Husband sees me ordering and decides, he needs more candles. so as Im scrolling, he's stopping me every few seconds so he can look at ones he wants me to make into candles.

So now I have 2 orders from two different fo companies and 86 candle tins coming in the mail.

Maybe HE should be the one locked up next time I order fo for soap?
Okay, I think both of y'all need to step away from the computer right now. I said now, step away from the computer!

Made a customer order again. Even though last year I swore I would never do it again, my neighbor begged me to make her the same soaps again with honey, beeswax, and bee pollen from her bees. The fragrance she wanted is also a pain because it goes from fluid to SOS in seconds. However I was ready this time. I soaped low blended my colors in the split batches added the fragrance and stick blended then added the lye and stirred it while I walked over to the counter with the molds. By the time I was at the mold it was thickening up and I was able to pour it in the mold before it seized. The last bit was gloppy but I was able to smack it down and get it in the mold. Then I did the second batch and while it wasn't as bad it too was getting gloppy by the time I was at the last of the pour and scraping out the container. Still, I was successful on the first try this time. Last year I made 3 batches of the **** soap before I was able to get a successful batch.

Tomorrow I have to make the second requested customer order but that one the lavender and cedar FO behaves just fine so I should have time to get it all in the mold and make it pretty.

@KiwiMoose seeing your picture just reminded me of something. Whenever someone in the house spills something. They say "I just pulled a KiwiMoose"! 🤣

Also do you ever talk to your soaps? I found myself talking to a soap this morning that I made last night. "When I get home I'm going to cut you...I can't wait to cut you." I hope my neighbors can't hear me.

I made two big batches of soap- one for sensitive skin (HP) half pine tar and half bergamot Mandarin. The other was supposed to be frosted eucalyptus and half lemongrass. The lemongrass turned out beautiful and I was very pleased until I realized I forgot the lemongrass 😖. It was getting thick by the time I did the other- too thick for what I had intended, so it became an ITP swirl. Why didn't I forget the fragrance for the sensitive skin batch?

I made two big batches of soap- one for sensitive skin (HP) half pine tar and half bergamot Mandarin. The other was supposed to be frosted eucalyptus and half lemongrass. The lemongrass turned out beautiful and I was very pleased until I realized I forgot the lemongrass 😖. It was getting thick by the time I did the other- too thick for what I had intended, so it became an ITP swirl. Why didn't I forget the fragrance for the sensitive skin batch?
Don’t you just hate that?

@KiwiMoose seeing your picture just reminded me of something. Whenever someone in the house spills something. They say "I just pulled a KiwiMoose"! 🤣

Also do you ever talk to your soaps? I found myself talking to a soap this morning that I made last night. "When I get home I'm going to cut you...I can't wait to cut you." I hope my neighbors can't hear me.
Hmmm - I'm not normally clumsy. So pulling a 'KiwiMoose' would usually be something of a musical nature round here. Like bursting into song if someone says a word that is also in song lyrics.
Also - make sure your neighbours don't report you to the police - going around threatening to cut people. :eek:

Oh, peeps, peeps, peeps, I never ever thought I'd say this but I think I am soaped out! Just finished my fifth batch in 5 days, or is it 6? What day is it, Blursday?! I'm not even gonna do any dishes. Mrs. Zing requested a design with green, and it's unscented for my sensitive friends, but with strong smelling cocoa butter. I also cut yesterday's alternating wall pour, 2 more . And I'm running out of flat surfaces.

This morning I got a brainstorm for a design while in the shower, and I'm toying with making just one more holiday batch but am really pushin' the cure time here....

Oh, and @ResolvableOwl , what the heck? Ima have nightmares tonight! Ima little unsettled to see this side of you!! All I hear now is, "I'll get you my pretty, and your little dog too!"
*runs to hide under covers*

Latest posts

Back