What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a great idea!
I added butterscotch “sauce” to my mom’s party favor soap. Smelled so good I wanted to eat it. It’s scented with butterscotch and Maple from NG.
View attachment 61696
I'm currently rethinking if I really shouldn't better come visit you (to clean your oven window). Will accept faux ice cream as remuneration. 🤩

Ooo tallow. In November my family will be butchering a goat we raised and I am super duper excited for the tallow. I've been playing around with it in a lye calculator and loving the numbers I'm getting.
All of my soap, except my salt soap, has grass fed beef tallow. And, I’ve made some sheep tallow soap with fat I cleaned off of a batch of bone broth. And, I make cleaned bacon fat soap. But, this is the first wild game I’m going to try! I love tallow in soap!! I bet your goat soap is going to be great!!

Cut my Kawakawa and Aloe soap. I’m very happy with this batch. It looks a lot nicer than the previous batch I made. I used a tiger strip pour technique. I infused OO with the Kawakawa and then blitzed the bejeezus out of it, thus reducing the dried Kawakawa to fine wee specks which you can see in the soap.
View attachment 61622
View attachment 61623
Kawakawa is a native plant used in ‘Rongoaa’ which is the traditional healing system of the Maori. It is highly prized for its medicinal qualities.

Flu has overtaken my body. Over two weeks now. I'm desperate to formulate but unwell. I did let Miss 10 put the labels on some handwash that I made before I was sick.
The name is strange, I know. But they used to say "pep" for oomph and my boy and his mates are always saying "oh, mint" as is "oh it's cool"
So.... it became...
IMG_20211015_012524_454.jpg

Does it work?

I came home to find a package from a certain someone on this forum who wants feedback on lather! So many purtee soaps to try. Can't wait! Let the chem lab begin!

It's been a truly incredibly stressful week personally and professionally. Then of course I have to add on another stress of "will this soap turn out??!!" I was really incredibly pleased and relieved with my latest, latest holiday soap -- if I do say so myself. Dishes and towels are in the wash.

Also got a request from a friend who wants a batch to give as gifts this Christmas. Given the cure time, I've gotta get make it this weekend.

Decided to try out making some mini sized whip soaps! (business card for scale). I got some new fragrances in, so I was eager to try them out. So far they smell pretty great. This one is "bet your butterscotch" from NG. Next will be designing some labels for them.

View attachment 61712
Love that name' so cute. I bet it smells wonderful! Nice 💫🧼

I came home to find a package from a certain someone on this forum who wants feedback on lather! So many purtee soaps to try. Can't wait! Let the chem lab begin!

It's been a truly incredibly stressful week personally and professionally. Then of course I have to add on another stress of "will this soap turn out??!!" I was really incredibly pleased and relieved with my latest, latest holiday soap -- if I do say so myself. Dishes and towels are in the wash.

Also got a request from a friend who wants a batch to give as gifts this Christmas. Given the cure time, I've gotta get make it this weekend.
Nice' 💫👍🏼

That soap is amazing!

Do you guys do anything like "present gifting"... Not sure if it still happens... I quit Reddit years ago. But they used to have a yearly book and gift exchange thing happening. It was so much fun. If there was a forum where the exchanges had happened (or still happening).... this one would. Did you lot ever do gift exchanges? Did they work?
I mean we are all here BC we love soap right 🤣 please don't hate me for veering off topic. Just what zing said about testing other soaps made me wonder. ♥️🥰

That soap is amazing!

Do you guys do anything like "present gifting"... Not sure if it still happens... I quit Reddit years ago. But they used to have a yearly book and gift exchange thing happening. It was so much fun. If there was a forum where the exchanges had happened (or still happening).... this one would. Did you lot ever do gift exchanges? Did they work?
I mean we are all here BC we love soap right 🤣 please don't hate me for veering off topic. Just what zing said about testing other soaps made me wonder. ♥🥰
We recently moved to a new city and after our first Christmas in our new city, our friends and I talked about having a craft day in November or December to make and exchange various things. Then, you know COVID.... :(

That soap is amazing!

I mean we are all here BC we love soap right 🤣 please don't hate me for veering off topic. Just what zing said about testing other soaps made me wonder. ♥🥰
There was a swap that took place around the holidays a few years ago. I think it might have happened twice - I didn't take part in it, but those that did seemed to enjoy it. It seemed like a lot of coordination and work for the organizer.

Where did you find the books? I have seen some on ebay and on Amazon but I don't know the correct order to read them. And Henry Cavill- no words needed.......
I got them on amazon I believe.

You'll want to read the short story collections first in this order:
The Last Wish
Sword of Destiny

Then the Novels:
Blood of Elves
The Time of Contempt
Baptism of Fire
The Tower of Swallows
The Lady of the Lake

Then there is a prequel (which I just got in the mail today, lol) it's called Season of Storms. I haven't read it yet, but it was published after all the rest so I figured I would read it last.

I hope you enjoy them! (More than I did! :D)

Libraries are a low-cost source or books. Nowadays, with my library card, I have access to books in libaries all over my state, so I can reserve & borrow books not available in my own small town library. And, in fact have borrowed and read tons of books this way, and saved thousands of dollars by not having to buy books I wanted to read, but have no room or desire to shelve in my home.

I highly recommend using a public library.

Also of use for choosing the order in which to read books, Google searches (or other search engine), like this:

Type something like, "order to read witcher books" (or whatever parameters you choose to set), which gets some good results/suggestions:

https://www.timhawken.com/blog/2020/3/9/the-witcher-books-in-order-how-should-you-read-them
https://www.pcgamer.com/the-witcher-books/
https://www.techradar.com/how-to/how-to-read-the-witcher-books-in-order
When I want to read a series, I review the different results that come up on Google and choose which suggested order I like (sometimes different folks suggest a different order), and bookmark that page or just copy it to a file on my computer, and start ordering the books from my library. Then I read the books as they come in and can binge all of the series at my leisure and it's all free, other than the cost of my internet connection and the periodic trip to the library to pick up and drop off the books. Oh, and of course the electric bill, but all those expenses are ongoing anyway.

ETA: TO stay in keeping with the THREAD TOPIC:

I made a second batch of soap last evening (in a Houston hotel) while waiting for my husband's VERY late flight. It sits wrapped in a towel in a drawer. I'll take a peak at it tomorrow. Today is a big day for the family, doing other things.

I have 3 tall and skinny from Workshop Heritage, today was only the 2nd time using them and I felt as awkward as you trying to not only "thread the needle" but had to resize my recipe by trial and error (as I'm allergic to math). Got it right this time around. Made 2 of lavender and 1 of rosemary mint - and gosh Mad Micas Tahitian Teal is a super gorgeous color! Can I make all my soap this color?? These are some that will go to a fundraiser; have another 3 loaves to go, maybe more.

Seriously need to order some purples. Thought I had several but apparently not. You know what happens when you need to order ONE mica, right???:rolleyes:
Hello I am planning to buy one of those molds could you answer some questions I have about this mold
Do you like them
On their site they are saying that the 10 inches is holding 55 onces of soap or 3.43 pounds curiously with the mesurements my calculations are giving me 42onces if you have the 10 inches can you tell me how much soap is required to fill one mold
The shipping will be verry high for me need to know before buying
Thanks

Hello I am planning to buy one of those molds could you answer some questions I have about this mold
Do you like them
On their site they are saying that the 10 inches is holding 55 onces of soap or 3.43 pounds curiously with the mesurements my calculations are giving me 42onces if you have the 10 inches can you tell me how much soap is required to fill one mold
The shipping will be verry high for me need to know before buying
Thanks
I have never used this vendor so can't comment on the quality of their products. To calculate the amount of oils for a particular mold, it is length x height x width (inches) x 0.4 which gives you the number of ounces of oils.

I have never used this vendor so can't comment on the quality of their products. To calculate the amount of oils for a particular mold, it is length x height x width (inches) x 0.4 which gives you the number of ounces of oils.
Thank you for taking the time to answer to me.I Realized that I posted the wrong person but It was sweet of you to answer.This is the same calculation method that I used it must be the supplier mistake

Several soapy things today. I turned my curing soaps, simple pleasure. I made up a masterbatch, basically a quadruple batch. I was holding my breath as I poured oils into my soup pot -- it all just fit! Whew!

I also made a loaf for my oldest child's Christmas present. I did a half & half diagonal design. For the first time -- thanks for the tips on here -- it was basically 2 separate soaping sessions for 1 mold. I mixed the first layer's oils and lye solution, poured it, and then mixed the second layer's oils and lye solution. It will not turn out as planned. I had my mold propped up for the first layer, and unbeknownst to me while I was mixing the second layer, the mold partially slipped off the prop. It'll smell good though, I used Wake the Dead » EO Calc - Essential Oil Calculator which is orange/clove bud/peppermint/anise (thanks, @maryloucb ).

@lesavonvert I think, as @Zing said, WH is stating the weight of the total batch. I think you are calculating the oil weight for the mold dimensions. With a lower lye concentration than the default on Soapcalc the 55 ounces they use is about right. I have a WH mold and I do prefer my Nurture T&S 11" mold. The WH mold is nice, though and I think you would like it.

This morning I packed up my car and went back to my son's for the duration (after Hubby caught his flight back home.) Of course the soap I made the night before last was packed into the car, but I had to check on it first. It had spent about 36 hours well insulated in a dresser drawer in the hotel. I unmolded it, left it to air for as long as I could (probably only an hour, because I did have to check out), then put it back in the mold upside down so the bottom is on top and will get more air exchange. I expect it will stay in the mold at least another couple of days before I cut it & look if the butterflies appear or not.

My brother flew in to surprise me and will be here another day (this was day #2) and it was truly a surprise. So no soapy stuff for another couple of days. It was arranged by my son and I never had a clue this surprise was in the works, or that there even was a surprise until that very evening of his arrival (Friday night.)

Latest posts

Back