What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got them on amazon I believe.

You'll want to read the short story collections first in this order:
The Last Wish
Sword of Destiny

Then the Novels:
Blood of Elves
The Time of Contempt
Baptism of Fire
The Tower of Swallows
The Lady of the Lake

Then there is a prequel (which I just got in the mail today, lol) it's called Season of Storms. I haven't read it yet, but it was published after all the rest so I figured I would read it last.

I hope you enjoy them! (More than I did! :D)
I so love the show that I am tempted to read the books! I typically read the books before an adaptation, but I had never heard of it before Netflix. Are you into Dune?

"snow" and got long strands of mozzarella cheese
Could be worse. In fact, in the cut soaps, one can't distinguish if a particular snowflake is just a shred that has been in the way of the cutter by chance, or rather a super-deliberately placed snowflake column embed/“knitting needle” that ranges throughout the whole loaf.

I so love the show that I am tempted to read the books! I typically read the books before an adaptation, but I had never heard of it before Netflix. Are you into Dune?
Yes I'm into Dune! But no spoilers, I've only read the first book! Me and my older sister found out that the movie was coming out, and we read the book together two years ago in preparation. We have been anxiously anticipating the movie! I cannot wait!

My shreds are like that at first. Line a sheet pan or a box (or two, or three) and spread them out and let them dry for a day. Then you can take a knife and chop them to a smaller size. Let them dry for another day so they won't stick together and store in a bucket with a lid or some plastic bags when they are dry enough.
THANK YOU! This is why I love this forum. I appreciate it, @dibbles ,

Cut my Kawakawa and Aloe soap. I’m very happy with this batch. It looks a lot nicer than the previous batch I made. I used a tiger strip pour technique. I infused OO with the Kawakawa and then blitzed the bejeezus out of it, thus reducing the dried Kawakawa to fine wee specks which you can see in the soap.
View attachment 61622
View attachment 61623
Kawakawa is a native plant used in ‘Rongoaa’ which is the traditional healing system of the Maori. It is highly prized for its medicinal qualities.
I saw this soap on Instagram and googled the plant and thought this soap looks soo familiar!!! Beautiful!

My humble EO collection in a new outfit.

View attachment 61672
Classification according to the top/heart/base notes (or, rather, soprano/alto/bass notes, with a nod to @Zing 😉), was easy, yet intriguing (literature work). But I've thought for quite some time how to store/present them in a sensible way (I'm tired of lifting each bottle every time and read its label – but I still want to keep the set mobile). I found these clear T&S plastic boxes, and put the EO bottles in there, together with a coloured “label” for easy locating (sorry, synaesthets). If I stay modest (don't exceed the 20 mL bottle size), I might squeeze up to 14 bottles into each box.
Though, combinatorics tell me that, with the things I already have, one bass note, 1…3 heart notes, and 1…2 top notes, already make 3444 possibilities to compose blends – not to mention proportions 😵. That should keep my nose busy for awhile…

The three boxes fit perfectly into that tin. However, unless I (or someone else) come up with a more clever idea, I have to set it tilted to one side, so that the EO bottles don' tip over when not full. Probably easiest is to just buy more EOs and stuff the boxes 😁.
Wait…You bought plastic boxes for your essential oils and they just happen to come with chocolate in them? I might need to get me some of those boxes!

Thin blue line soap FAIL! If I wasn’t trying to achieve a specific design, I would think these looked cool. I didn’t add any essential oil to the blue layer because I was afraid it was going to discolor, and it would not set up! I knew it wasn’t working as I was pouring the top layer.
D5B4C7C6-0693-49E0-8D95-C24908D98673.jpeg

@ScentimentallyYours
Yes. One has to make sacrifies 🤤. There's actually a small story behind them (that also happens to be a bit heartwarming as well as heartbreaking). Nobody buys these boxes just for themselves, it's a strict gift basket item. Now when I was at the checkout, the cashier took the three boxes to scan the barcode, and then she gave one to me, passed one over to her colleague at the next checkout, and kept one for herself. With a grin, that it's been too long since she last got presented chocolates … I was on the verge to actually gift one of the boxes to her, but on the other hand, I'd “need them on official business”! … We somehow made terms in a non-verbal fashion. I left with a half amused, half compassionate smile (under my mask).

Thin blue line soap FAIL! If I wasn’t trying to achieve a specific design, I would think these looked cool. I didn’t add any essential oil to the blue layer because I was afraid it was going to discolor, and it would not set up! I knew it wasn’t working as I was pouring the top layer.
View attachment 61689
Exactly what happened to by rainbow soap last week. But it does still look very cool - just don't ever mention a thin blue line and no-one will be any the wiser.
Call it pterodactyl.

Cleaning out my desk and found the business card of a local lady who sells goat milk soap and goats. After we had talked a few minutes, she invited me over to watch her make soap. That was probably TWO years ago! I hope she's still doing this stuff. Glad I found her card since I don't know if I would recognize her again.
Did you go at it on your own or use a mentor when first making soap?

I volunteer at a therapy facility and one of the moms came up to me and asked if she could please have some more of that soap I gave out last week. She said it was the first time her daughter hadn't screamed during bathtime about her eczema- and that she actually wanted to take a bath and bathed herself with it all week. She made my day. Boxing up more soap for her now ...
Awwww what a beautiful story. ❤💞

I guess im not doing anything soapy today. I made a batch with 10x orange last night. Its been 24 hours and usually my soap is ready to unmold. This batch is soft like fresh moz cheese.

It took forever to trace last night and i poured quite thin…only out of time constraints, which most likely ruined my swirl.

At first i was blaming BB eo calc because its confusing, do they mean grams of oil or batter total? But even if I got that wrong (i used grams of oils for my calculation), so that would have been too little eo and therefore wouldnt affect my batter if I was wrong.

Its definitely too soft to unmold at this point. I could probably scoop it out, which im not going to do. I will wait.

But i washed all of last nights soapy dishes and cleaned up, expecting to make a batch tonight, which is not going to happen.

Only thing i did different was adding kaolin clay.

Just annoyed…

@Vicki C
While (instead of, lol) falling asleep last night, I had the idea to pour some amber/light brown coloured CP or M&P soap onto a corrugated surface (like a plastic cookie tray, dusted with brown mica), and then cut/snap into shape as ice-cream wafers.
What a great idea!
I added butterscotch “sauce” to my mom’s party favor soap. Smelled so good I wanted to eat it. It’s scented with butterscotch and Maple from NG.
FA2ED21C-4A32-4A44-BC53-1A36ACE72F60.jpeg

View attachment 61689
You just hush now!! I know you didn't get the result you wanted, but this is super cool and pterodactylesque ! I really like minimalist designs and this is so good. I would be happy to take your entire failed batch -- want my address?

What a great idea!
I added butterscotch “sauce” to my mom’s party favor soap. Smelled so good I wanted to eat it. It’s scented with butterscotch and Maple from NG.
View attachment 61696
Okay. Just stop already!! I so want to eat that and you are just being a total tease....

Hoo boy! I am taard!! I just finished a soaping session. It's a complicated design (for me anyways) and Lord only knows what the cut will look like. I used a new recipe and it took forever to trace so of course now I'm doubting myself. I was splattering all over the place and this new tall and skinny mold is a challenge to work with - it's like trying to pour into an eye of a needle! I normally wash my non-lye-contact dishes immediately but they are just going to have to wait. G'night, soap peeps!

Last edited:
Hoo boy! I am taard!! I just finished a soaping session. It's a complicated design (for me anyways) and Lord only knows what the cut will look like. I used a new recipe and it took forever to trace so of course now I'm doubting myself. I was splattering all over the place and this new tall and skinny mold is a challenge to work with - it's like trying to pour into an eye of a needle! I normally wash my non-lye-contact dishes immediately but they are just going to have to wait. G'night, soap peeps!

I have 3 tall and skinny from Workshop Heritage, today was only the 2nd time using them and I felt as awkward as you trying to not only "thread the needle" but had to resize my recipe by trial and error (as I'm allergic to math). Got it right this time around. Made 2 of lavender and 1 of rosemary mint - and gosh Mad Micas Tahitian Teal is a super gorgeous color! Can I make all my soap this color?? These are some that will go to a fundraiser; have another 3 loaves to go, maybe more.

Seriously need to order some purples. Thought I had several but apparently not. You know what happens when you need to order ONE mica, right???:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back