What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Centrifuge tubes got delivered! 😍🧪

cole-parmer-0633688-conical-bottom-centrifuge-tube-pp-15-ml-resealable-bag-500-cs-0633688.jpg

Good luck guessing what soapy things I'm intending to do with them. 🤭🤓

A little support for all of you who haven't decided yet how much red palm oil to put in this season's Halloween soap collection:

m+p_palm+white.jpg

This is a blend of pure red palm M&P, and a neutral M&P coloured/opacified white with 1% zinc oxide. Without the white, the colours would be a bit deeper, yet with a more translucent look, i. e. not as bright. Some white really helps to showcase the yummy carotene colour from the oil palm pulp.

At 8% (i. e. 8% of oils are red palm, but keep in mind that M&P is half soap half solvents, so this is probably closer to 4–5% CP soap) the soap has a rich, warm, yellow hue (“cadmium yellow”). Around 25% is the “perfect pumpkin orange”, though, honestly, it's still a bit too saturated. Much higher becomes darker and more glassy, maybe like carrot purée (and the staining lather becomes a definite issue).
YMMV, red palm oil varies vastly in colour intensity, with variety, age, the duration of heating, and moon phase.

I made my first soap in my new ts mold with the lid.

It overheated and the soap all stuck to the lid, which made it impossible to take off, lol.

I had to unscrew the bottom and disassemble the whole thing to get the lid off and the mold out. I have never had overheating before, except an omh soap i made a year ago.

Guess the lid held in too much heat for cpoping. Well over 24 hours later and its too soft to unmold. It will be ok. It looks fine, just a little wet on the sides, i presume from sweating. I got the sides loose from the mold. I think an hour or two of airing out will do the trick

I do line them. It’s a bit of a pain, but I it’s mindless, and a good activity for when I don’t have enough band width to make soap. I’ve got quite the system down! I have gone over it some in the pull through tips and tricks thread. But, it is very worthwhile! It helps with clean up a lot!! And, I’m able to pull the bags out and squeeze the batter into some fun individual cavity molds, or for soap dough.
I'll have to look for that. I'm not even sure why baby bottle liners popped into mind

Tbh I've been doing alot recently. We've all been as a family struggling with burnout and dark gloom the last few months so I decided this week- Fall Break was going to be productive if it killed me lol. I've wrapped and labeled 8 loaves and my daughter sorted all the inventory. She scored some online Target shopping for compensation. I've been working from home so once I get back into office life my time will be diminished. I also made a lilac and gooseberry loaf for those of you who binge watch The Witcher on Netflix ( one of the characters signature scents)

Attachments

• 20211008_175023.jpg
    20211008_175023.jpg
    377.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 20211007_113539.jpg
    20211007_113539.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 24
Teenager woke me @1am & 🐈 woke me again @4am so I got up, fed the cat & made some 🧼. Another batch of ZNSC*tweak with confetti. Placed some in a 2lb loaf mold & the remainder in cavity molds. I’m the only patchouli fan in my household, and for 1st time ever used “Earth Meets Sky” f/o from Nurture Soap. Smells so good in my kitchen! Can hardly stand the wait! 🥳 ✨🧼⏳

Last edited:
Tbh I've been doing alot recently. We've all been as a family struggling with burnout and dark gloom the last few months so I decided this week- Fall Break was going to be productive if it killed me lol. I've wrapped and labeled 8 loaves and my daughter sorted all the inventory. She scored some online Target shopping for compensation. I've been working from home so once I get back into office life my time will be diminished. I also made a lilac and gooseberry loaf for those of you who binge watch The Witcher on Netflix ( one of the characters signature scents)
👍🏻👍🏻Headed to Netflix now 2check out “The Witcher” 💗the color of that loaf & am imagining the scent! ✨🧼

I cut my Sugar cookie soap last night. Had to wait until today to touch it as it was still quite soft and didnt want to handle it too much.

If you remember, I was at a loss for this fo since it discolors dark brown. I figured that while I was experimenting with my new mold and a discoloring fo, i might as well go all in and throw in another experiment and do a butterfly swirl.

The batter overheated, but the soaps just needed a little xtra cleanup On the tops.

I used the main batter with td and fragrance (cream), a swirling pot with no color and just fragrance (brown), and a swirling pot with just td and no fragrance (white).

Immediately after the cut the colors were meh, but still nice. I knew they would intensify to at least the color of the top. I woke up this morning and 😍.

As for the butterfly swirl it was a fail, but only for the butterfly motif, as I am thrilled with the hanger swirl in general because I could never really get the hang of the hanger prior to the challenge instructions.
CD7776A8-C778-4F00-AEB5-C15EA36D2101.png

Huh, that sounds crazy! Making soap to bridge sleeplessness. Usually it's the other way round for me, i. e. soapmaking keeps me from going to bed at a civil time.
Once I’m up, I’m up so might as well be productive. Onto baking chocolate zucchini bread now. 🍫🍞

Last edited:
@LynetteO PICS!!! 😋

@Catscankim A fellow airborne creature of the night! 🥰🦋🦉

I don't think at all it's a fail! The nice thing with butterflies: There is just no way how you can make it look wrong. The only mistake you can do is: not search long enough for the best match real-life butterfly after making & cutting the soap. 😁
1633798392297.png

I'm so glad that the challenge explicitly not only addresses those conceited daylight butterflies, but also the elusive moths with their more muted, but at least as filigrane and diverse colouration.

Hello Friends'
MCT Oil $ 9.95 32fl oz at Big Lots. It's organic, processed w/out chemicles, plant bassed super food, NON-GMO. They didn't have it listed on their website.
I love this in soap but usually it's much more costly. If you have a big lots near you hopefully they will have it in stock.
Also I went shopping for soap supply's paper cups & such, I found cute little mesh bags for sample sz soap's, picked up a few more little spatulas. Notice the difference in spatulas from the dollar store, the one on far left ' Betty Crocker' comes apart which is hard to see when new & a perfect place for germs to hide & multiply.
Update:
I ordered a few fo from california candle supply, Thx to @cmzaha for mentioning she loved the hardwood musk & caramel tobacco. Looking forward to trying them both in my "Cigar Bar Soap".

Attachments

• B0CA5C6E-CC43-4A8A-B4F5-8EFC758B9BC5.jpeg
    B0CA5C6E-CC43-4A8A-B4F5-8EFC758B9BC5.jpeg
    157.5 KB · Views: 7
  • DA818175-75FC-4AD0-A87E-6F7C844AA434.jpeg
    DA818175-75FC-4AD0-A87E-6F7C844AA434.jpeg
    128.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 78ED07A7-DE74-4E20-80B2-FB501DDEF060.jpeg
    78ED07A7-DE74-4E20-80B2-FB501DDEF060.jpeg
    55.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I cut my Sugar cookie soap last night. Had to wait until today to touch it as it was still quite soft and didnt want to handle it too much.

If you remember, I was at a loss for this fo since it discolors dark brown. I figured that while I was experimenting with my new mold and a discoloring fo, i might as well go all in and throw in another experiment and do a butterfly swirl.

The batter overheated, but the soaps just needed a little xtra cleanup On the tops.

I used the main batter with td and fragrance (cream), a swirling pot with no color and just fragrance (brown), and a swirling pot with just td and no fragrance (white).

Immediately after the cut the colors were meh, but still nice. I knew they would intensify to at least the color of the top. I woke up this morning and 😍.

As for the butterfly swirl it was a fail, but only for the butterfly motif, as I am thrilled with the hanger swirl in general because I could never really get the hang of the hanger prior to the challenge instructions.
View attachment 61555
OMG THAT IS BEAUTIFUL' ❤️🦋

Hello Friends'
MCT Oil $ 9.95 at Big Lots. it's organic' processed w/out chemicles, plant bassed super food, NON-GMO,
They had their big 101oz? CO oil for $12 instead of $13 last time I was in there!

So I saw this in a TikTok and had to wonder if it would help with my soap shrink wrapping skills. I’d have both hands to work with…

D2601C8D-3874-4851-9C7D-8D5A172AAB1B.jpeg
in a plastic magazine holder. I’d probably drill some vent hold in the bottom perimeter so it doesn’t overheat? Cool hack though!

They had their big 101oz? CO oil for $12 instead of $13 last time I was in there!

So I saw this in a TikTok and had to wonder if it would help with my soap shrink wrapping skills. I’d have both hands to work with…

View attachment 61560
in a plastic magazine holder. I’d probably drill some vent hold in the bottom perimeter so it doesn’t overheat? Cool hack though!
I havient seen C-Oil in a bag "Sorry misread" yes I bought the 102 fl oz last time I was there, didn't catch the savings though. Much appreciation to @AliOop for mentioning Big Lots & C-oil savings💞🙌🏼.

Last edited:
Back