What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd do a little research on wintergreen EO. I seem to remember reading that it isn't a safe EO, but could be mistaken. Maybe someone else knows something about this, or can at least advise safe usage rates. Or maybe I'm just completely wrong about that.
Yes your right' it can be toxic in larger amounts, but before use i'm gonna do some more research to find out the proper amount that is safe for soap. I almost chose the FO thinking its safer but changed my mind.
If any of my fellow soapers used wintergreen EO' i'd love here your thoughts & knowledge about it.
Thx dibbles 🤗🙌🏼.

Ok. I SUCK at wall pours. I dont think this is actually supremely pretty, but i think im starting to understand it a bit. One day i might blow you all away lol.

F5AD4745-BDE4-4F3B-94D3-F03314C12D3F.png

Made two "male" soaps today for someone special in mind. It was a combo palm/lard recipe very similar to the same recipe I've been make all pandemic, but this time the soft oil was 100% high oleic safflower oil, rather than a mix of high oleic oils I needed to finish up. Soaped room temp. It made a gorgeously smooth, fluid batter with a ton of working time....too bad the were plain simple colors because I could have done a 12 color swirl with time to spare! I'm so curious to see how I like the cured product and compare it to the mixed oils bars.....will there be a difference, or were the soaping gods just extra nice to this batch?

ETA: I'm using a new stick blender - is it possible the stick lender is responsible for the extra smooth, flowing batter? It's the Cuisinart Smart and I wish I'd broken my old one years ago! I love the this sb; it's quiet, solid and well built, the shaft attaches and removes very cleanly.

Last edited:
Cut my peppermint soap. Was a pass-the-time soap, easy peasy. I have a whole bunch of peppermint crumbles. They didnt come out quit as realistic to do the peppermint bark pieces that i wanted to make. My fault on that. I got impatient and ran the knife through the thin red and white slabs like i was chopping herbs. The soap started to mush up lol.

View attachment 61338

This is beautiful! And the photography does it justice!

Or Charlie Brown's Christmas tree?
Oh thats cute too. 💫👍🏼

@Peachy Clean Soap I found this on Aromaweb re. wintergreen eo: “it must be used sparingly and with immense caution as numerous reports of poisoning have occurred.” :(
Aww thank you' Im gonna check it out now. 💫👍🏼.
Ive been searching this evening about this wintergreen oil, findings thus far is a bit strange either its viewed as being very toxic & use w/ caution or it's fantastic for sore muscles & many company's use it in their products as a topical ointment & flavoring in gum. Wintergreen Oil ( methyl salicylate ) Asprin is a derivative of salicylic acid.
I searched the ifrafragrance.org for guidance on the usage percent & located a case number & classification which is a 9, I think I can use up to 2% in the finished soap but i'm not real sure?
I read it accelerates in cp soap & lye reacts to the Wintergreen oil leaving no scent. Sounds like a big headache & risk though i'll make a small batch of soap if the oil smells good as a tester to see how it behaves?.

I read it accelerates in cp soap & lye reacts to the Wintergreen oil leaving no scent. Sounds like a big headache & risk though i'll make a small batch of soap if the oil smells good as a tester to see how it behaves?.
Yes. When you have the EO, why not? Luckily, HP & addition together with post-cook superfat is always an option.

This is my latest batch. I was testing out Cucumber Melon FO from Micas and More. I'm slightly annoyed by the spots (stearic? bubbles?) but mostly ecstatic because this was a huge save.

I was planning to do a drop swirl, but the colored portion got thick very quickly and made that impossible. (Grumbling here about accelerating micas, but maybe that's for a new thread.) The colored batter just sat on top of the base batter, which does NOT create a drop swirl. I quickly added the rest of the uncolored batter and luckily had my gear tie handy for a hanger swirl (done vertically and then horizontally).

Cucumber melon.jpg

@Peachy Clean Soap I found this on Aromaweb re. wintergreen eo: “it must be used sparingly and with immense caution as numerous reports of poisoning have occurred.” :(
Oh I gotta say' I love your information thread' it gives all info I needed especially the percent amount usage. big hugs' I really appreciate you taking the time locating the information & posting. 🤗💫🧼

Getting my Halloween soaps to market tomorrow. Ran out of ink, so can’t print all the labels. I’m super excited to get them to folks before Halloween this year! Love the glow in the dark mica from NS!

Attachments

• 9DB0803B-E7D8-44EC-B363-A8A5AEAE3F58.jpeg
    9DB0803B-E7D8-44EC-B363-A8A5AEAE3F58.jpeg
    270.1 KB · Views: 20
  • F6E25058-3FAE-4698-BBEC-7E0795155091.jpeg
    F6E25058-3FAE-4698-BBEC-7E0795155091.jpeg
    299.3 KB · Views: 15
  • EECE37BB-84B3-4D1E-90E8-6579F32F9D54.jpeg
    EECE37BB-84B3-4D1E-90E8-6579F32F9D54.jpeg
    127 KB · Views: 17
  • 7EED42B9-6FC0-4665-BCB8-BFCE29A9C8AC.jpeg
    7EED42B9-6FC0-4665-BCB8-BFCE29A9C8AC.jpeg
    144.6 KB · Views: 15
  • DF31D369-777F-4921-B4B0-C3FF521478C9.jpeg
    DF31D369-777F-4921-B4B0-C3FF521478C9.jpeg
    105.2 KB · Views: 15
Thats is purrrrrrty what is the scent ?
Peppermint Candy FO 200 from wsp. It really is a good smelling candy cane scent. No discoloration, and it actually decelerated trace, so I felt like when I added the fo, I had to start the waiting game all over again to pour. Last year I had another "candy cane" fo, but it contained vanillin so it turned out brown. This is a good one. I saved the bottle so that I remembered which one I liked for the future.

@Mobjack Bay ...sorry, I should have told you where I got it from. I actually used the last of mine but went to buy more today and they were out of stock on all sizes except the trials and the 1/4 ounce, so I am going to wait for it to be back in stock.

I love this color! Used full strength it looks like a burgandy wine, but sometimes I use it with TD and get a nice mellow pink.

Just got a commission for wedding party favors -they want pine tar soap with black hearts! I know, this is a little different. I am brainstorming. Maybe lace filigree black hearts and pour the pine tar soap over them. No time with pine tar to do anything fancy in the soap itself. Maybe cookie cutter hearts and replace with black soap? Sounds a little juvenile. Maybe have a stamp made and stamp the impression in black? I was awake at 3:30 am trying to figure it out.

@Vicki C
Most business-official use of the 😍 emoji… 🤨

A gust into your brain storm: kind of a variation of the rim part of Lisa's rimmed soap, from regular soap batter, with black hearts in the rim design. And then into the middle of the column mould, just glop in the pine tar soap, plain smooth as it is, or with just a lazy little ITP streak of charcoal batter.
Idk how converged the conceptions of your customer(s) are, if this would still be covered by specification. But AFAIK pine tar soap is unconditionally HP, and HP swirling/embed techniques are tricky.

ETA: Something close, realised in M&P

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back