What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adventures in Lye
Tonight, me and my soaping partner opened a 50 pound bag of lye that was a minimum of 18 years old. (Yes, it is still good. I won't go into it here)
We wanted to transfer it from its heavy plastic bag to plastic 4 kg lye containers. We were all suited up - goggles, masks, rubber gloves, long sleeve shirts, etc., etc. There were a few clumps that had to be broken up with a rubber mallet. Lye sure does like to spread out, doesn't it. Anyway, we're fine and the lye is transferred. Now! To getting to make more soap! Next on the list: Frankincense & Myrrh from the now defunct Missy's Candles.

Adventures in Lye
Tonight, me and my soaping partner opened a 50 pound bag of lye that was a minimum of 18 years old. (Yes, it is still good. I won't go into it here)
Whoa. Someone did a good job in packaging and storing it. But now it's eventually time for the lye to do its destined thing and unify with oils.

Huge old bags filled with white chemicals reminds me of the darkroom we had in school. One cupboard was just there to keep the hoard with bags of fixing salt crystals (with regards from ZCS 😉) “Made in GDR”. With dirty B/W photography not very popular any more, in times of DSLRs and smartphone AI cameras, Photoshop and FaceApp, I strongly suspect they still have a few bags of this thiosulfate in some corner, by now at least at age 31. As long as the bags are tight and no moisture creeps in, still going strong! (insert choir sounds of the (instrumental) national anthem of the GDR here)

I made a double batch - the biggest sized batch I've ever made. 2kg of oils. Probably small-fry compared to what some of you all do, but I was pretty chuffed with myself. It only just fitted into my regular soap mixing bowl.
Nice! I have started to try to up my game as well, have made a few batches with 4kg of oils, and have been using a 2-gallon bucket with a spout for my mixing. The thing is, I bought the smallest cheapest microwave on the planet for my soap studio so any heating I need to do takes forever. Next purchase, larger microwave.

Didn't get my triangles just right... But I have to say, I like the design, regardless! Autumn Equinox from Nurture Soap. Does thicken in about 30 seconds after mixing, I split my batter purposely for that. However, I noted that even though my total batch weight was supposed to be about 1500 grams, when I weighed out into the pouring pitches with the mica's, the remaining was more like 440 grams. Hmmm, in the future I will weigh out my batter, minus the container's weight to split more evenly.

Attachments

• AutumnEquiniox.jpg
    AutumnEquiniox.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 4
I made a double batch - the biggest sized batch I've ever made. 2kg of oils. Probably small-fry compared to what some of you all do, but I was pretty chuffed with myself. It only just fitted into my regular soap mixing bowl.
I'm chuffed with you too! :)

Hey, @PKappy -- that is awesome looking soap!!

After a frustrating day of soap mishaps I was delighted to hear that I was recognized for best use of color in Amy Warden’s soap challenge club for my transparent soap! 😃View attachment 61265
Totally fantastic soap, @Vicki C ! I'm blown away.

Is there a link to view all the entries if you weren't part of the challenge?

Yesterday I made this rose soap for my mom. She passed away 9/27 several years ago and I was really missing her. Rose was her favorite scent and I was trying to make it a nice, soft pink but it came out orangish. She passed away before I started making soap and she so would have loved soapmaking.

Attachments

• 239BA348-E75A-4BC2-9495-79EA6AB94F21.jpeg
    239BA348-E75A-4BC2-9495-79EA6AB94F21.jpeg
    111.8 KB · Views: 30
I am out of town and can’t wait to make soap when I get home. I just bought this tee shirt, does that count? Since my fascination and love of all things salt preceded my fascination and love of soap, I had to have it! When I learned of the alchemy of fats transforming into salts it blew my mind. Yay! New shirt!!

Attachments

• 1F0199AA-6F39-447E-9A2C-7BB3CDF2B9E0.jpeg
    1F0199AA-6F39-447E-9A2C-7BB3CDF2B9E0.jpeg
    84.2 KB · Views: 29
Thank you so much Zing!!
Don't give too much on @Zing praising alternating wall pour soaps. He happens to be biased when it comes to “his” method. 😜😘

That doesn't change the fact that it is indeed gourgeous soap, and extra bonus to you that you dared work with a nasty FO and “abused” it for a well-executed design.

Don't give too much on @Zing praising alternating wall pour soaps. He happens to be biased when it comes to “his” method. 😜😘

That doesn't change the fact that it is indeed gourgeous soap, and extra bonus to you that you dared work with a nasty FO and “abused” it for a well-executed design.
Thank you ResolvableOwl! Now you have sparked my curiosity Zing's method. Is it here on the forum someplace? I'll do some searching.

Yesterday I made this rose soap for my mom. She passed away 9/27 several years ago and I was really missing her. Rose was her favorite scent and I was trying to make it a nice, soft pink but it came out orangish. She passed away before I started making soap and she so would have loved soapmaking.
I love the color. 🧼🤗

I am out of town and can’t wait to make soap when I get home. I just bought this tee shirt, does that count? Since my fascination and love of all things salt preceded my fascination and love of soap, I had to have it! When I learned of the alchemy of fats transforming into salts it blew my mind. Yay! New shirt!!
Sure Does IMHO 💫👍🏼🌈

@PKappy, do you see what I have to put up with here with the likes of @ResolvableOwl ??!! 🤪 Thankfully @ResolvableOwl was redeemed by compiling my greatest hits album all in one post!
Regarding "my" alternating wall pour, I like it because it's a simple design with great results. And I'm super stoked that a tall & skinny mold is on its way!!

Latest posts

Back