What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made my second attempt at the challenge today, which turned out to be fun because I had my friend do part of the pour. He had no idea what he was doing, but I directed him. Which is super cool because he is part of the story behind my inspiration soap, so it is extra special now.

So...no matter what this second attempt at the challenge looks like, it is being submitted. But I think its gonna be fine. I just held his hand during the pour.

I’m testing FOs and made this soap with NS Afternoon Tea. It smells good and behaved well. I hope it sticks around. I ended up with my first ever unintended “rivers” due, I think, to using more water than usual.

65ECA65C-B98F-47CE-BF19-6518D93E038D.jpeg

My soapy thing today was making soap!! I made two loaves of my gardener/mechanic soap for dirty gardeners and mechanics. I'm not crazy about the color -- brewed coffee and red palm oil, but it smells good with lavender, peppermint, and basil essential oils, plus 3 exfoliants. Lord knows I love my fancy soaps and swirls, but it's also nice to make a soap with no dividing or color prep and just dump everything into one pot. The one hiccup was not having any poppy seeds -- jeez, seriously, my inventory guy is on my last nerve, he's got to go!

Okay, @Ford and all the other neem oil users! What is the deal?! I always get caught off guard when neem is mentioned on this forum. I am a gardener and use neem oil on my flowers and shrubs. And I'm not too keen on the scent and am glad that I use it outdoors. What does neem do in soap?
I know the answer, you guys!

Because of its antibacterial/antimicrobial properties it's very good for acne prone users. It helps decongest pores, hydrate, and sooth irritated skin. I just made some acne soap for my sister that is 16% neem. It be ready for her to try in about a week. Just a tip, the neem does give the soap a smell (I thought it smelled sort of like coffee), but it did fade and become nonexistent after curing.

I know the answer, you guys!

Because of its antibacterial/antimicrobial properties it's very good for acne prone users. It helps decongest pores, hydrate, and sooth irritated skin. I just made some acne soap for my sister that is 16% neem. It be ready for her to try in about a week. Just a tip, the neem does give the soap a smell (I thought it smelled sort of like coffee), but it did fade and become nonexistent after curing.
Thank you! I'd love to hear if your sister finds it effective.

I’m testing FOs and made this soap with NS Afternoon Tea. It smells good and behaved well. I hope it sticks around. I ended up with my first ever unintended “rivers” due, I think, to using more water than usual.

View attachment 61014
Super pretty ❤

I love NS Afternoon Tea. And I found that the smell is even stronger after the cure!

That post made me cringe… have you smelled that stuff!?!??! Lol! I’ve owned 1 bottle because it’s supposed to be good for dry skin…. But I couldn’t even use it! Lol! Whatcha making’ ???
Hopefully, I'm not repeating myself if you already saw my comment, 😅 but I made a soap with neem oil and the smell completely went away after the cure.

Made my first Coffee Soap today! Used twice-pressed coffee for my liquid and added a tsp of used finely ground grounds to the batter. I'm so glad I knew from you more experienced soapers to expect the coffee and lye mixture to smell bad. Hoooeeee! It certainly did. But the smell mostly subsided by the time I mixed in my fragrance (sweet orange, cedarwood, litsea, and almond) and poured into my mold.

Is it true that washing with coffee soap helps get rid of odors like onion or garlic from your hands?

Hopefully, I'm not repeating myself if you already saw my comment, 😅 but I made a soap with neem oil and the smell completely went away after the cure.
I wish mine had…. It was horrid even a year later when I finally threw them out! My nose must just be sensitive to neem oil or some thing. 🤢🙄

I wish mine had…. It was horrid even a year later when I finally threw them out! My nose must just be sensitive to neem oil or some thing. 🤢🙄
Hmm that's funny. Did you use a fragrance oil? Maybe that had something to do with it. I used Bramble Berry Peach somethin' er other. All it smells like now is delicious peaches!

Hmm that's funny. Did you use a fragrance oil? Maybe that had something to do with it. I used Bramble Berry Peach somethin' er other. All it smells like now is delicious peaches!
Nope, it was one of the first soaps I made. No FO or EO. That was my first mistake! I would try it again with fragrance but I just can’t… lol! It’s scarred me for life!

I made a batch of soap with peppermint stick fragrance oil. I made it in a Pringles can and planned to cut it in rounds and wrap it like an old fashioned peppermint candy in cellophane with twists at each end. Unfortunately the red mica didn't come out the shade I was hoping for and I think I over-stirred my ITP swirl. We'll see tomorrow... Smells great though.

Back