What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone order from Save On Scents? After reading their about page, I feel like I need to take a class on how to order from them. Maybe I’m just tired, but it seems complicated.

I do line them. It’s a bit of a pain, but I it’s mindless, and a good activity for when I don’t have enough band width to make soap. I’ve got quite the system down! I have gone over it some in the pull through tips and tricks thread. But, it is very worthwhile! It helps with clean up a lot!! And, I’m able to pull the bags out and squeeze the batter into some fun individual cavity molds, or for soap dough.
Do you leave the leftover soap in the bags to saponify, then transfer the soap dough to storage in containers?

I tried out a new scent, a dupe of Viktor & Rolf. It smells like the real thing, FlowerBomb.

Attachments

• 69A8FA47-4297-4268-BC03-1A8FCA677012.jpeg
    69A8FA47-4297-4268-BC03-1A8FCA677012.jpeg
    80.5 KB · Views: 20
Took advantage of no work on my day job and soaped up a storm! 4 pull throughs in the heated bucket!!! I’m pooped!
I wanted to use some new-to-me FOs. So I read through many pages of reviews. I soaped at a solid 90f and added them immediately before putting each color in the squeeze bottle. I think it worked out ok.
Lining the squeeze bottles paid off because I got to make 3 nice individual soaps from each pull throughs batch. I used bits of extruded embeds to decorate them and I think they’re sweet! Might not even put them in the sale basket!
Got my system of transitioning from one batch to the next a little more smooth. Washing some dishes in between. This is only the second time I’ve done this many at once. It was a solid days work!
These look great! Do you line your PVC and if so has it affected the pull through?

I also found a recipe on a random search for something else, then came here to search for them and i found your msg. Did you make these? Wondering if its a good way to use soap scraps.
Yes I did make them & we are liking them. Liking better in shower than bath due to the un saponified olive oil addition. It definitely takes some patience to melt the pre-made soap. You’ll notice some darker spots in the cube. Those are not completely melted bits of the soap. I’m sure melt & pour soap would melt much faster but if patient, yes this a great way to use extra soap. Which I have a’ plenty! Talk about baby soft smooth skin after use! ✨ 💖 🧼 688557BE-942F-4464-99F8-DAF8DB5D28D2.jpeg

Last edited:
These look great! Do you line your PVC and if so has it affected the pull through?
I do not line my pvc. My first 3-4 batches I smeared a little Vaseline inside. But I don’t need to anymore. I put them in the freezer for 30mins-1hour. Take them out and wait 15 minutes until they start to sweat. Then they slide out so fast I have to catch them and make sure they don’t get smashed on the floor!

Had to cut em quick before work. Will take better pics later. That green often morphs. I’m hoping it brightens up!

Attachments

• 0DBA93D1-8A08-4369-8B36-4784BB9AD008.jpeg
    0DBA93D1-8A08-4369-8B36-4784BB9AD008.jpeg
    193 KB · Views: 17
  • 8358B485-6741-4C63-886F-6C2EA569464E.jpeg
    8358B485-6741-4C63-886F-6C2EA569464E.jpeg
    214.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 293E623A-51BD-4C02-B0D4-B1A6C2AE3884.jpeg
    293E623A-51BD-4C02-B0D4-B1A6C2AE3884.jpeg
    190.8 KB · Views: 12
  • C6574D0B-3A53-4E50-824D-E4C4D309362A.jpeg
    C6574D0B-3A53-4E50-824D-E4C4D309362A.jpeg
    165.9 KB · Views: 13
  • C3919093-DD79-46A1-A1AE-9F10227D2AE5.jpeg
    C3919093-DD79-46A1-A1AE-9F10227D2AE5.jpeg
    170.1 KB · Views: 11
  • AC6A97FE-09E4-4AA0-B79B-C7A04A4C39EC.jpeg
    AC6A97FE-09E4-4AA0-B79B-C7A04A4C39EC.jpeg
    154.4 KB · Views: 28
Tried my hand at the one pot wonder last night (first time). Scented in rosemary mint. Cut today. Not the result I was hoping for. Two of my greens look the same. My white set up too fast as well. Plan on trying again tonight.
That is very lovely soap! Congrats!

Just prepped for a session tomorrow. I brewed double-strength coffee with distilled water, and calculated my essential oils. It's another gardener/mechanic soap per my bro-in-law's request. He's a tough guy but needs my soap and lotion bars. I'll do 2 loaves, 1 for me, 1 for him.
I'm going to live life on the edge and up my normal 5% red palm oil to 10%. It's taking forever to use my jar of it, plus I think it'll look good with the coffee.

I made a batch of ZNSC bars last night with 90% OO+10% castor oil & just a skosh (.7 of the 1.7 H2O/lye ratio) of goat milk. Forgot & accidentally used a fragrance oil blend that when purchased was thought to be 💯 EO but was definitely NOT. Batter accelerates like ⚡️. Had to pour, plop into mold super fast. However, I just cut the loaf & there are very few air bubbles visible & they smell divine.

I made soap today!

It's a challenge attempt so I won't post pics, but I suspect another attempt will be needed. I had everything laid out before I realised that the red mica I had been planning on using was all gone, so I had to improvise. I was aiming for a dark rose red and I managed something like raspberry with what I had on hand. On a whim, I added some used (dried) coffee grounds to try to darken it, but I didn't account for how it would look in the batter... Basically like raspberry jam!

My brain is refusing to accept that the fragrance (smoky orchid and cacao) is coming from such a fruity-looking ensemble. So I suspect in a few days it will be back to the drawing board!

Today I ran a table at a fun church event making melt and pour soap, with a water/fish theme. Other tables were doing a variety of other craft activities.

Everyone got to choose a recycled plastic pot as a mould, then added their choice of imbeds like MP fish & shells, small rubbery fish toys, rubbers (erasers), cosmetic glitter etc. I had a prepped a slow cooker of clear MP, scented with lemongrass which everyone loved. For the kids, I ladeled it into their mould once they'd placed the imbeds and put it straight to the side on top of their name label; the adults had a choice about that part.

By the end, (there was a Bible story and some songs & prayers after the crafty activities) everyone's soap was set up enough to take home (in their handily recyclable mould), though some were still a just little warm. I gave them instructions for unmoulding, and said to wrap it in cling film if it wasn't getting used immediately. I think it was popular!

It's been a while since I used MP, and also a while since I worked with kids. As knackered as I am now, I really enjoyed myself. 😊

Back