What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any recs for a tape that’ll stay put? This is electrical.

Attachments

• 118FF70B-B1D2-429C-964E-4C0F6DE9FB61.jpeg
    118FF70B-B1D2-429C-964E-4C0F6DE9FB61.jpeg
    83.6 KB · Views: 20
I started using/testing my second batch of soap today. I'm happy with the first few uses as far as lather and feel goes. I'm not too happy with the scent though. I used South Pacific Waters from WSP and I think it faded a bit and has sort of a chemical tone to it than it had before. Doesn't leave any scent on my hands either. I probably wouldn't use that scent again.

My go-to tape for almost everything is one that is used for sealing seams in plastic covered hoop-type greenhouses and applying window film for winter home insulation. Clear Plastic Weatherseal Tape | Frost King® Weatherization Products. I love that it peels off cleanly without leaving a residue, so I use it for all sorts of things. It’s great for cheap lamination over my Master batch labels. I’ve even used it to tape the refrigerator door shut so the dog could no longer pull it open and eat the meat and cheese inside. (Yes, that really happened 🙄) I just bought new squeeze bottles, so I’ll go run a test to see if the FK tape holds the extensions. BTW, appreciate seeing how you used electrical tape to help form a seal between the bottles and tops. Will have to try it since it’s much cheaper than Teflon tape!

I started using/testing my second batch of soap today. I'm happy with the first few uses as far as lather and feel goes. I'm not too happy with the scent though. I used South Pacific Waters from WSP and I think it faded a bit and has sort of a chemical tone to it than it had before. Doesn't leave any scent on my hands either. I probably wouldn't use that scent again.
Give it time Mellon Friend. Give it time. Just as your soap properties change, so does your fragrance.

You might actually find that it is really strong a few months down the road. I have a bunch like that.

One that particularly comes to mind is Afternoon tea by ns. It smells nice and quiet in the beginning, now 6 months later its screaming at me.

I shrink wrapped some soap.
Grrrr....I just hate doing this, always end up making holes.
I prick holes with a needle prior to using the gun, to let out air. Just can't seem to get the technique right .

Sometimes the soap is wrapped fine, but a few weeks later I find holes in the shrink wrap.

Is there a specific bag to buy, perhaps thicker plastic?

I shrink wrapped some soap.
Grrrr....I just hate doing this, always end up making holes.
I prick holes with a needle prior to using the gun, to let out air. Just can't seem to get the technique right .

Sometimes the soap is wrapped fine, but a few weeks later I find holes in the shrink wrap.

Is there a specific bag to buy, perhaps thicker plastic?
Back off.... seriously. You're most likely too close to the bars.

I use packaging tape (clear tape used for sealing packages to be mailed) to hold together easily breakable sections of a cat toy (fishing pole like plastic pieces that screw together, but always break at the plastic screw part) and the pole has held for several months with daily play, so it's working very well.

However, for an area that can get wet with soap or solvent, I have not tried using packaging tape. For that I use blue painters tape. For the short term, the blue tape works very well, but over the long term, it does loosen if exposed to enough raw soap.

My go-to tape for almost everything is one that is used for sealing seams in plastic covered hoop-type greenhouses and applying window film for winter home insulation. Clear Plastic Weatherseal Tape | Frost King® Weatherization Products. I love that it peels off cleanly without leaving a residue, so I use it for all sorts of things. It’s great for cheap lamination over my Master batch labels. I’ve even used it to tape the refrigerator door shut so the dog could no longer pull it open and eat the meat and cheese inside. (Yes, that really happened 🙄) I just bought new squeeze bottles, so I’ll go run a test to see if the FK tape holds the extensions. BTW, appreciate seeing how you used electrical tape to help form a seal between the bottles and tops. Will have to try it since it’s much cheaper than Teflon tape!

I think I'll look for some of the Weatherseal Tape & perhaps give it a test run, too. Thank you, @ScentimentallyYours.

Do you line your squeeze bottles? I always use a funnel for my pull throughs, but want to try with squeeze bottles. But honestly, I always hate using them because they are a pain to clean. Plus I need to get some of the heavy duty wide mouth ones…

Give it time Mellon Friend. Give it time. Just as your soap properties change, so does your fragrance.

You might actually find that it is really strong a few months down the road. I have a bunch like that.

One that particularly comes to mind is Afternoon tea by ns. It smells nice and quiet in the beginning, now 6 months later its screaming at me.
Thanks for the advice! I didn't know that could happen with scents. 🤔

Do you line your squeeze bottles? I always use a funnel for my pull throughs, but want to try with squeeze bottles. But honestly, I always hate using them because they are a pain to clean. Plus I need to get some of the heavy duty wide mouth ones…
I do line them. It’s a bit of a pain, but I it’s mindless, and a good activity for when I don’t have enough band width to make soap. I’ve got quite the system down! I have gone over it some in the pull through tips and tricks thread. But, it is very worthwhile! It helps with clean up a lot!! And, I’m able to pull the bags out and squeeze the batter into some fun individual cavity molds, or for soap dough.

O. M. Goodness! Not all according to plan. Had to spackle some air holes due to the accelerating FO. But I’m super happy! I love when my soaps make me giggle! And they do smell great! Autumn Equinox by NS. It DOES accelerate, for me.
bottom photo is air holes. The squeeze bottle technique would have prevented more of those if the batter had been more fluid.
This is goals!! Nice nice job

O. M. Goodness! Not all according to plan. Had to spackle some air holes due to the accelerating FO. But I’m super happy! I love when my soaps make me giggle! And they do smell great! Autumn Equinox by NS. It DOES accelerate, for me.
bottom photo is air holes. The squeeze bottle technique would have prevented more of those if the batter had been more fluid.
Hi TashaBird! I am glad I saw your post as I was going to be using autumn equinox for the first time. Indeed, it does thicken after only a few stirs with the spatula, but knowing in advance helped! I did a test batch in a 2 lb mold with 2 colors and measured out the fragrance and split it in half. I had plans for an in the pot swirl, 4 color(fall leaves) in 3 inch PVC and will attempt this Sunday. I will let you know how it turns out. One thing, I love the scent!! Thanks again!

Hi TashaBird! I am glad I saw your post as I was going to be using autumn equinox for the first time. Indeed, it does thicken after only a few stirs with the spatula, but knowing in advance helped! I did a test batch in a 2 lb mold with 2 colors and measured out the fragrance and split it in half. I had plans for an in the pot swirl, 4 color(fall leaves) in 3 inch PVC and will attempt this Sunday. I will let you know how it turns out. One thing, I love the scent!! Thanks again!
My use of that FO improved when I added it very last after splitting my batter and coloring. And I was soaping at 95f.

Took advantage of no work on my day job and soaped up a storm! 4 pull throughs in the heated bucket!!! I’m pooped!
I wanted to use some new-to-me FOs. So I read through many pages of reviews. I soaped at a solid 90f and added them immediately before putting each color in the squeeze bottle. I think it worked out ok.
Lining the squeeze bottles paid off because I got to make 3 nice individual soaps from each pull throughs batch. I used bits of extruded embeds to decorate them and I think they’re sweet! Might not even put them in the sale basket!
Got my system of transitioning from one batch to the next a little more smooth. Washing some dishes in between. This is only the second time I’ve done this many at once. It was a solid days work!

Attachments

• E2311364-FB12-49C7-93A5-CDC24135735C.jpeg
    E2311364-FB12-49C7-93A5-CDC24135735C.jpeg
    148.4 KB · Views: 16
  • ABA753DD-C3C5-47EC-941F-5DA2B1068E98.jpeg
    ABA753DD-C3C5-47EC-941F-5DA2B1068E98.jpeg
    248.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 3241C301-A1EE-49F5-8943-1C8DD1C4A3CC.jpeg
    3241C301-A1EE-49F5-8943-1C8DD1C4A3CC.jpeg
    200.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 5AB0C445-3F0C-405E-95E3-A1C014A7FA15.jpeg
    5AB0C445-3F0C-405E-95E3-A1C014A7FA15.jpeg