What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is c milk? Sweetened condensed milk? If so, how do you use that in soap? I never thought of that
Oh C- milk is short for Coconut Milk' " this brand of coconut milk is sweetened, yes the texture / consistency is similar to condensed milk. 😉🤗
update: I add it to my fats before lye. 💫👍.

Last edited:
Wrapped and labeled the soaps for the retreat next week. 😅
AliOop I love your soap wrapping' simply elegant' very pretty. ❤️🤗

Soapy only in the sense that I used up the remainders of my cocoa butter for this … Yesterday, I had my probably longest chocolate making session ever. Oof. More than two hours of constant weighing, stirring, measuring temps, panicking to not exceed 32°C, scraping out the pot, rattling moulds, cleaning the tools, licking fingers etc.

And all this knowing that not a single bar of chocolate of this campaign will be enjoyable – It's kind of an assembly kit, with ingredients pre-dispersed into cocoa butter for quick combination into proper chocolate of various composition.
All in all I'm quite happy how everything turned out. Only one bar has settled in a problematic way, but everything will be molten up again anyway. Everything is so easy, now that all the annoying steps are done.

View attachment 60722 Left to right/bottom: concentrates of cocoa, milk powder, powdered sugar, carob.

View attachment 60723 Beautiful swirls to look at, but chocolatier's nightmare: fat bloom (temps were probably 1°C too low when I poured, and/or the spatula wasn't clean).

In the end, I treated myself to the remainders dispersed into hot milk for the probably best hot chocolate of my life, lol. Now I can start composing chocolate again, and I eventually have the space left for ordering more cocoa butter!
Looks Yummy.

I’ve had this idea for weeks. It seemed kind of impossible. If I was gonna do it at all, I was going to do it big! That’s the only way it’ll be worth the work. So I made the main embeds, similar to my Soapsquatch (yeti) soap. They turned out decent on the first try, which is HUGE! A win for my new soap dough recipe!! I had to scrounge for enough soap dough to make all the trees I was hoping for. But I had it! Then, without too high hopes I made the two Santa hat embeds. I trimmed the top off the yetis head and put the hat on. They're drying and hardening now. If I can put this whole thing together it’ll be SO fun!!! They make me giggle! 😆
All embeds are 18”!!
Wish me luck tomorrow, I’m gonna need it! 🤞🏼

Attachments

• 16F90349-C4FC-4FD5-B3EC-4321AF302B8D.jpeg
    16F90349-C4FC-4FD5-B3EC-4321AF302B8D.jpeg
    138.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 7FADEE42-19FE-4EA2-8272-571D84B086B3.jpeg
    7FADEE42-19FE-4EA2-8272-571D84B086B3.jpeg
    177.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 1FBF1BF9-C011-4F2B-936B-B4F4A14137BB.jpeg
    1FBF1BF9-C011-4F2B-936B-B4F4A14137BB.jpeg
    169.6 KB · Views: 22
Steric Spots or Air Bubbles? for the longest time' i'd have soap that appears to have steric spots' Day before yesterday I thought I'd try to cut the last few bars of soap w/ a butcher knife as a test to see if the steric spots are air bubbles? much to my delight & new found knowledge the micro steric spots are air bubbles created by the guitar string. Now that problem is taken care of' but now a new one arises ' I cant cut a straight line to save my A__. lol 😂
I'm Asking for help' What do Ya'll use to cut your soap?. the guitar string I use in my soap cutter is a size D.

Last edited:
I’ve had this idea for weeks. It seemed kind of impossible. If I was gonna do it at all, I was going to do it big! That’s the only way it’ll be worth the work. So I made the main embeds, similar to my Soapsquatch (yeti) soap. They turned out decent on the first try, which is HUGE! A win for my new soap dough recipe!! I had to scrounge for enough soap dough to make all the trees I was hoping for. But I had it! Then, without too high hopes I made the two Santa hat embeds. I trimmed the top off the yetis head and put the hat on. They're drying and hardening now. If I can put this whole thing together it’ll be SO fun!!! They make me giggle! 😆
All embeds are 18”!!
Steric Spots or Air Bubbles? for the longest time' i'd have soap that appears to have steric spots' Day before yesterday I thought I'd try to cut the last few bars of soap w/ a butcher knife as a test to see if the steric spots are air bubbles? much to my delight & new found knowledge the micro steric spots are air bubbles created by the guitar string. Now that problem is taken care of' but now a new one arises ' I cant cut a straight line to save my A__. lol 😂
I'm Asking for help' What do Ya'll use to cut your soap?. the guitar string I use in my soap cutter is a size D.
Do you mean it’s a D string on a guitar? I cut two batches of soap with a wire cutter and ended up with terrible “stearic” bumps all over the soap bars. Bought a planer to get rid of them. The best easy/cheap tool for cutting with a mitre box as a guide is an 8-12 inch drywall tool like this one. The blade is thin and straight, no v shape like a knife. It can leave drag marks, but they are easier to buff out than the spots. spritzing the blade with 91% alcohol helps the blade slip through the soap and minimize drag marks. You could wipe alcohol on both sides of the blade instead, which would keep it clean for each cut. I really liked the wire cutter until it broke. Hated the bumps on the surface of the bars.

Do you mean it’s a D string on a guitar? I cut two batches of soap with a wire cutter and ended up with terrible spots all over the soap bars. Bought a planer to get rid of them. The best easy/cheap tool for cutting with a mitre box as a guide is an 8-12 inch drywall tool like this one. The blade is thin and straight, no v shape like a knife. It can leave drag marks, but they are easier to buff out than the spots. spritzing the blade with 91% alcohol helps the blade slip through the soap and minimize drag marks. You could wipe alcohol on both sides of the blade instead, which would keep it clean for each cut. I really liked the wire cutter until it broke. Hated the bumps on the surface of the bars.
Yes on my wire cutter I use a guitar string size D maybe I'll try another type of wire I read in the search moments ago an electric guitar string in size 022 rogue is the brand. sounds like a good one.
right the knife did leave drag marks not bad though' i'll remember to sprits the knife w/ alcohol next time, 💫👍🏼 I have a plainer but its extra work' shaves off to much from the bar. Oh I took a snapshot of your drywall tool' if all else fails ill pick one up. Thx for your advise 🙌🏼🤗💫.

I made rose geranium confetti soap today. Man - that stuff is STRONG! The whole house smells like rose geranium when you walk in the door. It's a 'cosmetic grade' EO ( so just smell and no therapeutic value) and it soaps sooooo well, very slow moving. I'm gonna order me some more!
13E50606-127B-4EAD-AD7E-948B30989DE0.jpeg

Last edited:
All embeds are 18”!!
That’s going to be a big seller! Really cute.

We also have the 'other' G-string in the US, but to a Guitarist, the G-String is the 3rd string and is notorious for going out of tune. It can be a wound string or a plain steel string. I would guess that the plain steel would be better for cutting soap than the wound string, but I don't know as I have never really looked into using one or the other.

https://stringjoy.com/wound-g-string-string-electric-guitar/

Latest posts

Back