What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Life has been a bit busy lately so I haven't done much soaping. A month ago I tried infusing oil, one with turmeric and and the other with dill weed. I was going to do the grocery store soap challenge but I didn't use my head and added shea butter since I was making it for my mom. I also remembered I didn't have anything to use as a soap mold. I was a bit disappointed to see that the dill weed did nothing for color. I was hoping for at least a faint green color since it did color the oil a faint green.

Anyway here it is. Please don't mind that I didn't clean them up. Mom likes the natural look.
FBF7D2DC-2A72-473E-A7A2-52868ED15D1B.jpeg

Made orange soap dough to start some autumn soaps.
It’s not really a soapy thing, physically, but I had a job interview today and was asked what hobbies I had outside of work. I said I make soap! It seemed to be a good answer. 😁
Yay, interview! Fingers crossed for you.

I had an interview on Wednesday and my soap came up in the conversation. I was being interviewed by three people simultaneously and one of them was attending via Zoom. That person looked me up on LinkedIn while the interview was happening and asked me about my soap business (because I included it in my profile).

I responded with, “How much time do you have?” 🤪😂

They were all nerdy engineers so I did my best to talk about the science of soap. It was super fun!

I made soap! It was the quickest, easiest batch I've ever made, so I hope it's nice, because I'll be making it a lot if it is. One of my other kitty foster mum friends had a request for a vegan soap, so I figured today was as good a time as any to try the recipe.

It's a slight variation on Zany's no slime castile. I used real sea water, (all the way from Cornwall, friends were visiting their family recently and were happy to bring me some,) boiled and filtered a few days ago and kept in the fridge since. I have enough for several more small batches. No colour or fragrance. 100% "light in colour" olive oil, with a bit of sugar to help with bubbles. Poured into a pringles tube and a couple of silicone paw moulds. Haven't used a pringles tube before, so hope I can get it out in a day or three...
It's looking nice and creamy, hope it stays that way. 😊

I made ugly soap- (microwave rebatch) out of grated soaps that were good quality but ugly, and my soap trimmings. Basically confetti soap. Not bad looking, which is good cause we'll be needing them.

My friend whose daughter is getting married called and asked if she could have 50 bars instead of the 25 she originally asked for. It took every cured bar I had.

Sold some soaps at the farmers market. Kept forgetting, then remembering, then being excited, that I had two soaps at home to cut!
The kitty one is scented w Avalong from NS and it’s one of my new favorites. I call it apples and lilac.
The desert is two FOs that were both too intense separate. But I’ve been thinking of coming g them for awhile, and WOW! It’s palo santo from mad micas (smells nothing like palo santo), and creation from NS, 50:50. They balance each other perfectly!
And I’ve got to figure out why half my batches get stearin spots lately. 😏

Attachments

• EA4E50BC-C5FF-45B6-9C95-94EA553B7663.jpeg
    EA4E50BC-C5FF-45B6-9C95-94EA553B7663.jpeg
    128 KB · Views: 33
  • A754FD89-4459-4EBF-9AC5-888BAF17BE8F.jpeg
    A754FD89-4459-4EBF-9AC5-888BAF17BE8F.jpeg
    196.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 630A7DB6-25FE-495F-A7BF-69DB32ED54FA.jpeg
    630A7DB6-25FE-495F-A7BF-69DB32ED54FA.jpeg
    142.8 KB · Views: 19
  • F02A8DA0-D0BB-43D4-8921-AF6EA210486C.jpeg
    F02A8DA0-D0BB-43D4-8921-AF6EA210486C.jpeg
    141.7 KB · Views: 17
woke up and decided I wanted to make some bright and cheery soaps. Decided try a couple more pull-through.
8115CBD6-807D-4C4A-A545-BF8F4B42D03B.jpeg
This is my favorite combo yet! It’s actually a cream, pinkish purple and yellow. And it’s shocking what 10 degrees difference makes in soaping temps. This was my second batch so it had cooled a little more than the first and was at around 85 degrees when I mixed. It was so much more fluid than the first. We’ll see which one works out better tomorrow when I cut.

In non-soapy news, my daughter and I decided to try and make some spring rolls and sushi… it was a fun endeavor and pretty tasty!

My friend whose daughter is getting married called and asked if she could have 50 bars instead of the 25 she originally asked for. It took every cured bar I had.
This sounds familiar....except that my friend originally asked for 50 bars, then 75, then 100! Thankfully my sister makes soap too, so we worked together to make it, and she designed the labels and wrapped it all. Here's a picture from Saturday of some of the soap (used as thank-you gifts for those who helped).
20210802_075558.jpg

Latest posts

Back