What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally, the end is in sight for the shrink wrapping of soaps (at least for a couple of months). Again I lost count of how many I completed yesterday; I think it was something less than 2 dozen, but most important is that there are only about 3 dozen left to shrink wrap.

This morning I tossed out several cardboard trays (box top lids & canned food cardboard box bottoms), as well as neatly gathering re-usable paper towel tear-sheets from said trays. (I am an avid re-use type of person, and will clean up spills or cat-vomit or soak up whatever with otherwise lightly-used paper towels.)

I also decided to test out something that I've experienced with sweating soap once put into use. I've noticed this on more than one occasion with soap that had started sweating in high humidity: Once I start using it sink-side, it stops sweating, even while it sits in the soap dish next to the kitchen sink where I wash my dishes. So I took 4 bars that were sweating, washed them off with hot water & am letting them dry as if I were going to be using them regularly. I'll keep an eye on these 4 bars and see if they start sweating again as they dry off. The other bars next to my sink don't, so I'm thinking these shouldn't either. I have no idea why though, considering that my kitchen is definitely a humid area of my house, what with all the water usage activities like boiling water for tea, cooking pasta & other foods, hand washing dishes, etc. I rarely use the exhaust fan over the stove in my kitchen and never open the window above my sink, so the humidity has nowhere to really go, so I have often wondered why soap that gets used daily does not sweat like the same bar when it is not being used.

A couple of days ago, I put a few sweating bars into a small styrofoam cooler with a new DampRid tub and the lid is on the cooler. My plan for them is to see how effective this method might be for removing the humidity sweat. In reality these particular soaps were not sweating until I brought them downstairs, so it probably would have been better to just put them back upstairs and wait for them to dry out again before shrink wrapping. But I wanted to see how effective this method really is in a controlled space, as well as how long it takes for them to dry out in this situation, so that's what I'm doing. I am not sure how much time it will take, but it should be interesting.

@earlene such an interesting experiment. My thought was that the bars stop sweating after you wet them because that equalizes them with the ambient humidity. No need to draw moisture when they are moist. Maybe?

Did a clean out of a closet with a lot of old soap lurking in boxes that I had totally forgotten about. I salted out a whole bunch and it is now drying out in two big flats. It was a mix of colors so the curds are grayish green but I think I am going to make soap powder out of them.
8EEB3DEC-A784-4CC6-9B6D-DDD312358775.jpeg

Finished up my prototype square colum mold for my square pull threw plates. Gonna test it out tomorrow ( fingers crossed it doesn’t leak!) and experiment with my round pvc column mold, gonna try to pour it without a lining. I’m tired of the warped side on my soaps and I got some new round designs a couple weeks ago and need to try them out. It’ll be nice to make some soap… it feels like it’s been forever!
562E1252-BD61-4FF0-829C-71EA662CBB64.jpeg

@earlene such an interesting experiment. My thought was that the bars stop sweating after you wet them because that equalizes them with the ambient humidity. No need to draw moisture when they are moist. Maybe?
I think you are correct and that is exactly what is going on. Even so, they 'feel' dry on the outside rather than wet. But at least they are not now covered in dew like they were. I am going to re-bevel a couple of them and see if exposing a possibly dry-er surface has any impact on how they interact with the humidity. Or, it could be that the moisture I don't feel has 'equalized' to a depth the beveling reaches. I guess a better test would be to cut one in half and see if the freshly exposed inner surface attracts moisture from the humidity. So I think I will do both and watch for another couple of days.

Speaking of soaps sweating, I was very concerned when I noticed that one of my cardboard boxes of cured soap was very wet, like something had spilled in it. Then I discovered it was a bunch of soap bars sitting in there absorbing water out of the air and leaking it into the box!

I haven't made any actual soap for a while but made some other things with mum on her holiday visit here. The best looking are these bath bombs, and a shampoo bar I made in a mould I designed myself and printed on the 3d printer. (I'm having so much fun with that thing!) I'm amazed at the amount of detail that actually came through in the bar 😄
IMG_20210720_185702.jpgIMG_20210720_185729.jpg

I’ve been away from home for 4 out of the last 5 weeks, so not much soap is happening. I’m really missing my soap making sessions! I’ll be home by the weekend and think I’ll try one more confetti soap for the unchallenge before the month draws to a close. I’m also hoping to get last month’s soap dough canes into a loaf.

Speaking of soaps sweating, I was very concerned when I noticed that one of my cardboard boxes of cured soap was very wet, like something had spilled in it. Then I discovered it was a bunch of soap bars sitting in there absorbing water out of the air and leaking it into the box!

Was this box open or closed? Were the soaps bare? I assume they were not yet wrapped & labeled yet?

I line my cardboard trays (box-tops/can box bottoms) with paper and above that plastic mesh, then put the soaps on top of the mesh. The purpose of this was to prevent damage to the cardboard so I could re-use it and to allow for a bit of extra air-flow with the plastic mesh.

Even doing this, the weepy soaps do leak moisture that drips and leaves some discoloration on the paper below. A couple of times, it's been enough to moisten the cardboard itself. Those cardboards get tossed into the recycle bin.

As for storing cured soap inside a closed cardboard box, I don't do that until they have been wrapped and labeled. Luckily I have never had soap inside a closed box weep.

I am waiting for my second batch ever to harden...going on 48 hours. I can see how addicting this could be though.

when you wash stuff, don;t you just do it right away or is it better to wait?
I always add about 3 tsp of salt for a 4 lb batch. Hardens over night. If I was ready ever in the morning I could cut before bed. Or put it in the freezer. Like a lot of us patience is terrible 😬. Just so excited to see the outcome.
As for cleanup I scrape everything clean into my main bowl and wait a day or 2 until it’s safe, scrape more into my scrap bowl then wash since it’s now soap.

Made another batch in the series of bars for the ladies' retreat gift bag order. Decided to go uncolored with a nice blend of two scents that I have used before, along with some vanilla stabilizer (from BCN) that I have not used with either fragrance before. And...

Holy acceleration and ricing! Neither fragrance has accelerated on me before; perhaps mixing them, or adding the VCS, changed that reaction? Dunno. After beating it into submission with the SB, I had to glop it into a slab mold instead of pouring into the detailed cavity molds that were planned.

Banged it down so hard that a screw fell out of my craft table. Oops. Checked an hour later, and there was ¼" of oil across the entire top of the slab. 😫 I really wasn't in the mood to hot process, so I took a whisk and beat it all back together in the mold. It now looks like overcooked HP soap, but at least it smells good and seems to be staying together. Here's to hoping that the inside looks nicer than the top!

IMG_1461.JPG

Made another batch in the series of bars for the ladies' retreat gift bag order. Decided to go uncolored with a nice blend of two scents that I have used before, along with some vanilla stabilizer (from BCN) that I have not used with either fragrance before. And...

Holy acceleration and ricing! Neither fragrance has accelerated on me before; perhaps mixing them, or adding the VCS, changed that reaction? Dunno. After beating it into submission with the SB, I had to glop it into a slab mold instead of pouring into the detailed cavity molds that were planned.

Banged it down so hard that a screw fell out of my craft table. Oops. Checked an hour later, and there was ¼" of oil across the entire top of the slab. 😫 I really wasn't in the mood to hot process, so I took a whisk and beat it all back together in the mold. It now looks like overcooked HP soap, but at least it smells good and seems to be staying together. Here's to hoping that the inside looks nicer than the top!

View attachment 59500
🤞

Latest posts

Back